My estate sale find today, Hudson wheel covers

MarrsCars

Here's my estate sale find for the morning. So the question is, do I polish them up or keep as-is? Also I planned to just hang these up on my shop wall but if they are especially rare please let me know and I will offer them up somewhere, I don't want to keep parts just for kicks if somebody out there really needs them.

17883005_1706687389629476_5720237929591209984_n.jpg

• Like 3

Easy logic on this one. Keep the original patina. Your high ethics coincide with my outlook. Certain things should serve their highest purpose. So suppose a fellow who needed one of these to complete his HPOF vehicle , or DPC original with aprox the same patina level. A restored 'cap would stick out like a cherry in whipped cream. You can always restore , but patina must be earned the hard way. Also , please forgive me. I owe you a long email with pictures. Frustrated now with onerous distractions from life. I absolutely MUST get that '27 Cadillac from 'Vegas to at least L.A. PDQ. Stressed out , Carl

Edited by C Carl
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, C Carl said:

Easy logic on this one. Keep the original patina. Your high ethics coincide with my outlook. Certain things should serve their highest purpose. So suppose a fellow who needed one of these to complete his HPOF vehicle , or DPC original with aprox the same patina level. A restored 'cap would stick ont like a cherry in whipped cream. You can always restore , but patina must be earned the hard way. Also , please forgive me. I owe you a long email with pictures. Frustrated now with onerous distractions from life. I absolutely MUST get that '27 Cadillac from 'Vegas to at least L.A. PDQ. Stressed out , Carl

Excellent perspective there Carl and I think I will follow your sage advice. They'll look just fine hanging up until that owner-in-need comes along.

No worries on the delay in our off-forum conversations, I have been getting into the busy season myself as weather is just starting to cooperate down here. Yes, we will catch up soon and I look forward to the pics!

I don't know patina is wear from years of use.  Dirt is dirt and in days before the barn find craze we kept our cars clean to show pride in ownership, much like the original owners who spent the money to buy them new did.   I don't recall a whole lot of photos with people all dressed up for church standing in front of their car that hadn't been cleaned of any grime in 5 years.   The womenfolk wouldn't have had any part of that,  to be seen a shabby unkept car. 

I still detail my original paint cars,  going as far as even wet sanding and buffing them if there is enough paint left to do so. 

• Like 3

There is nothing prettier in my eyes than an antique car with original paint waxed and rubbed down to the primer along edges and curves through decades of meticulous care.. The smooth transition down through the layers of lacquer with the color slowly fading to primer color all the while maintaining the polished shine is absolutely breathtaking.

You are correct auburnseeker - I see no justification for original dirt. And the cars that have have had patina "applied" are for the most part poorly done. No objection to someone shooting paint thin enough to wet sand patina by hand (it can be replicated) but 99 per cent of them try to do it with spray paint. The result is absolutely horrible.

I would clean them up the best I could and hang them on the wall, until a Hudson showed up in need.  Right up there with my brass 1915 Model T, 24 & 35 Buick, Model A "Fool", Early Ford V8's, Crosley, etc. etc, caps.  It's not a collection, just fun stuff on the wall until somebody wants or needs it, like old license plates. I hope they all find homes,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vermontboy said:

There is nothing prettier in my eyes than an antique car with original paint waxed and rubbed down to the primer along edges and curves through decades of meticulous care.. The smooth transition down through the layers of lacquer with the color slowly fading to primer color all the while maintaining the polished shine is absolutely breathtaking.

You remind me of a Land Rover Defender 110" wheelbase rig that I used to see parked in the East Village in NYC in the mid-to-late 90's. It had it's pale green paint rubbed through dramatically on every single edge and corner and it was beautiful indeed. This one went all the way down to the aluminum shell beneath so was especially engaging to the eye. 

I'm not sure if we have gone beyond these particular hubcaps. It seem so to me . Yes this "Patina" craze has become B.S. at a certain level of degradation. Seems like a second cousin to "The Emperors New Clothes".  In our new world , we here in the middle class have less discretionary income. Toys suffer. So there has to be some inexpensive way to totem a one-upsmanship game. "My car has more pigeon , rat , and rust than yours " . What total absolute rot ! And to try to counterfeit patina ! Come ON !!! But in the case of the subject 'caps , they look no less than great as is for garage wall art. Let the guy who eventually needs them tune them to the level he wants. Now , let me see if I can post some pics with different levels of patina and degradation.  Here goes.   - Carl

O.K. One instrument panel (1918 Cadilac) , is shot. If you call this "patina" you should be a bridge salesman. The '29 Marmon phaeton is merely fairly easily restorable. If you call this "value enhancing patina" , you remind me of the real estate agent who sold me a tiny house I did an architect designed remodel and enlargement on. As he opened the door to the 8' X 8' closet of a bedroom , he extended his right hand , and out of his mouth came sales pitch 4.2-Q. : "Nice , big bedroom" (! - huh ? Nice try , Hoss). Another agent tryed to convince me that more is less. Figured the huge lot and yard were a liability to have to maintain ! Yeah , sure. And no , I won't knock $20,000 off the price for the way too big yard. And then two gorgeous 1927 Cadillacs. Untouched original , and beautifully refinished. Honestly , I really don't know which I like better. But the original caries magnificent , true patina. If you found a piece of antique furniture with that "crackle" patina on it , refinishing it would reduce the value significantly. I do like looking at , and showing off the pic of the spectacular beauty of Henry's trim. It does make the original elegance real. You can just imagine what the wood would look like re-shellacked. But this trim patina matches the patina of the rest of the car. Personally , I think anyone who had either of these cars would be a little goofy trying to make it look like the other. I would be interested to see if you agree. 

Yes , here in 2017 where up is down , black is white , and severe deterioration is eulogized , you just have to live and let live. And at least some guys have the gumption to keep a scruffy oldie rolling. Sometimes it may be an aging gracelessly sad old sedan. Running smoothly on new tires and brakes. Give the guy a break. He's broke. There but for the Grace ........................ goes ,  - Carl

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Additional emphasis (see edit history)

I appreciate that original cars are being considered desirable now.  This patina appreciation can be carried too far IMHO.  I was lucky to be able to purchase my '51 Ford country Squire from the original owners family.  It had been garaged ever since it was new and still had original paint.  It was an untouched original car but I still did everything I could to make it clean and as new looking as possible. I waxed  and polished the original paint and chrome gently.  I carefully cleaned and waxed the firewall and cleaned the engine etc.  I don't think leaving an original car dirty with "patina" makes sense.

• Like 4