I need help with converting generator to alternator

Dennis Jones

Can anyone give me advice on how to convert my 1933 Chevy Master Coupe from a 6 volt generator to a 6 volt alternator.  I have installed the alternator, but I am unsure how to wire it into the car.  When I wired it to the ingnition switch it doesn't charge the battery.  I am not sure which pole to connect it to on the switch.

Thanks,

Dennis Jones

IMG_0064.JPG

Hook it to the ammeter.

Some guys hook it to the battery or the other end, Starter? Will charge but wont show unless you have a switched volt meter.

These one wire alternators don't need a switch.

Some of them are a little finicky about getting excited. A good goose to a relatively high RPM usually will trigger it.

One side will show the charge and the other wont.

One of the wires from the ammeter should go to the starter solenoid or battery in some way.

I think you hook it to the other one. This one should have gone to the generator.

That might be incorrect, you will have to experiment. But I would try this first.

What you really needed as Jack M noted is a one (1) wire alternator that is internally regulated.  Then you just connect the one wire that connected to the cut out on your generator to the one connection on the alternator.  That way you have not messed with any of the car's wiring.  Only one step to convert back.

Did you ask Randy, since he makes them? He is Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts.

Phone number right on alternator.

I think Padgett is right also.

More or at least charging at an idle.  A three brush generator only puts out about 15 amps continuously without overheating.  I ran 50/32 headlamps and could set the third brush so that it would hold it's own on the highway with the headlights on but it would get too hot to touch and it was a nuisance resetting the brush all the time.  A 50 amp alternator charges for about three minutes after starting and then sits at zero no matter what I turn on or for how long.  I also seem to get an extra couple of years out of my batteries because of the evenness of the charging.

Thanks everyone.  I have contacted 5th Ave.  They straightened me out.  I have not jury rigged any of the cars original wiring.  I connected the cars single generator wire to the pole where the red wire is connected, and I connected the yellow wire to the ignition side of the coil.  It works perfect.  It now charges about 7.3 volts at idle and at speed.  What a big difference in headlight brightness.

Dennis

I have had mine for 31 years and wish the technology had been available 20 years sooner.  Have never had a moments trouble in 180,000+ miles.

For what it's worth.....some guys don't like the alternator idea as it's not original to the car.  If one wishes, "Power Master" and maybe others sell an alternator in a generator housing.  You then can use the firewall voltage regulator 'can' to hide an unsightly but necessary item.  Also the idiot light circuit can be deleted if you wish.

The guys that don't like this look can buy a 6 volt alternator that looks exactly like a three brush generator.  They are available in several places.

Glad you got it going Dennis.

I use one wire alternators on all of my street rods and have even had a 6 volt pos ground one wire set up on one of my old Plymouths.

Not original but trouble free. I do sometimes forget to goose it a bit to wake it up, but only temporarily as I do look at the gauges fairly often.

If you have wired the exciter wire externally this is not necessary.

On 4/3/2017 at 5:53 PM, Tinindian said:

More or at least charging at an idle.  A three brush generator only puts out about 15 amps continuously without overheating.  I ran 50/32 headlamps and could set the third brush so that it would hold it's own on the highway with the headlights on but it would get too hot to touch and it was a nuisance resetting the brush all the time.  A 50 amp alternator charges for about three minutes after starting and then sits at zero no matter what I turn on or for how long.  I also seem to get an extra couple of years out of my batteries because of the evenness of the charging.

50 amps 

vs

15 amps 

is a big advantage

Heck I modified a Delco 10si to fit a positive ground English car. No more Lucas. They are very flexible if quite noisy (electrically). If concerned keep the original parts and generator in a big baggie and present to the next owner.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 6:39 PM, JamesBulldogMiller55Buick said:

what is the advantage of a an alternator over the generator?

That is a question that cannot be answered with a simple "blanket answer"  :)

All through this thread and elsewhere on the net, you will see that there are so many types of generators, older vs, newer, etc.  Same is true with alternators.

My primary car the last 10 years is bone stock.  It is a 1970.   It has a Electronic Fuel Injection system, and a points distributor.....and wait for it.....A GENERATOR. 

The engineers that redesigned this car, found a way to keep using the prior years generator system, despite being forced to go to EFI to pass the tighter smog requirements.  There was no economically feasible way to add an "alternator" to this older type of existing engine design....so they found a way to keep a generator, despite the fact that EFI is VERY fussy about needing STABILE voltage at all RPMs, including 700 rpm idle.

go figure  :)

• Like 1

On 4/5/2017 at 7:11 PM, F&J said:

That is a question that cannot be answered with a simple "blanket answer"  :)

All through this thread and elsewhere on the net, you will see that there are so many types of generators, older vs, newer, etc.  Same is true with alternators.

My primary car the last 10 years is bone stock.  It is a 1970.   It has a Electronic Fuel Injection system, and a points distributor.....and wait for it.....A GENERATOR. 

The engineers that redesigned this car, found a way to keep using the prior years generator system, despite being forced to go to EFI to pass the tighter smog requirements.  There was no economically feasible way to add an "alternator" to this older type of existing engine design....so they found a way to keep a generator, despite the fact that EFI is VERY fussy about needing STABILE voltage at all RPMs, including 700 rpm idle.

go figure  :)

The advantage it seems is higher amperage.

The starter switch on my Buick is grounded through the generator. 

that grounding system won't work with an alternator.

To convert my car to an alternator would require modification of the starter swi tch,

My car has been in my family for 47 years, 

During that time, the generator and voltage regulator have been replaced twice.

The 30 amp generator works very well on average for about fifteen years.