Al Capone's 1928 Caddy

Curti

Curt, that story about being used for Franklin Roosevelt

was among the unfounded things being circulated on the

internet a couple of years ago.

Evidently, the story is completely false:  It was the

Cadillac-LaSalle Club, I think, that printed an excellent

debunking of the myth.  Roosevelt used no such car.

It's a good lesson to us all:  Don't believe everything

you read in the news, and especially not on the internet!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Correction the my prior information, it's the Collins Foundations, not the Collins Collection.  And it's in Stow, MA.  And they do not currently list the car as part of their collection though they do now list a 1940 Cadillac as an ex-Capone car.

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/automobiles/?tab=roaring-20s

Edited by Owen_Dyneto (see edit history)

The car was owned here in Houston by John O'Quinn, part of his huge collection, and was auctioned in 2012 following his death in a car accident. It sold for $341,000 at the St. John's auction; I don't know anything about it afterward. Around 2010 or so I put someone in touch with the O'Quinn Collection whose father had worked on the car at the time it was being modified for Capone. The man brought his then-elderly father down for a visit, and the father was able to describe modifications he remembered seeing that the staff was in fact able to find on the car. The O'Quinn staff actually videotaped the visit for their archives. There was an entire thread on this forum; you might be able to find it via search.

I was standing next to the buyer at the 2012 St. John's/RM Auction. He was a younger man with a very young son. When the auctioneer said SOLD, both the man and his son were elated and shouted for joy. It was fun to watch. Not sure who they were, but ,they certainly were excited about the purchase and immediately left the room after their success. 

Here are some of the auction listings showing the car at its various auctions. O'Quinn purchased it at the 2006 auction.

http://www.rmsothebys.com/results/result.cfm?feature=No&category=all&year=&sort=lot&view=list&SaleCode=&fromYear=1928&toYear=1928&lot=&make=Cadillac&model1=&submit=Search

One of the first antiques we bought was a 1928 Cadillac Sedan in 1970. A true barn find. It was missing the bumpers. We advertised in Hemmings and received a letter from an elderly retired Chicago cop who wrote a long letter riminising about chasing hoods thru the streets of Chicago in the department's '28 Cadillac squad cars. He purchased or was given several of the retired Caddys when he retiredd and had parted them out but still had the bumpers we needed. He refused to sell them to us but rather gave them to us with us only paying the Greyhound shipping. Wish I could find that letter again, it was fascinating.

• Like 1

We used to go up to the American side of Niagara Falls and walk across Rainbow Bridge for lunch and the attractions on the Canadian side. It was on Clifton Hill. The Cadillac was in, I think, The Cars of the Stars Museum forever. If I rummage around I may be able to find a brochure.

They had a Porsche Speedster owned by Richard Boone and a 1920's Dodge that had one side restored and the other original. I seem to remember a Marylin Monroe Caddy there, but that's foggy. There were maybe 15 cars there. It was a neat place.

Bernie