Groundhogs Day Forecast

JohnD1956

John always does like to "jump the season".

Mine are under blankets, except for the driver, and that goes to the car wash this time of year.  Of course, John, being more removed from the ocean had sunshine today, we in CT had mostly clouds.  Little in the way of shadows.  Of course that means, if this was groundhog day, we would see spring sooner.  So there you go.

John 

• Like 1

Dave,  A Feb 2nd picture need not be taken on the road. I just took mine in the driveway.  No salt there. LOL

3 hours ago, dmfconsult said:

Wow, washing the car in the driveway in January?!  Brave soul... it's going to be -7 degrees Celsius tonight, which is cold for us on the west coast.  My driveway would be a sheet of ice!  Car looks great by the way! 

Doug, it cracked 50* here today.  The Regal stays outside and I wanted to get the salt washed off the bottom. But I also had the 56 out today.  Couldn't drive it anywhere but I just love listening to the exhaust at idle!  I did make a video but haven't uploaded it yet.  

And of course John is right. I have cabin fever!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thriller said:

Groundhog Day has never meant much on the Canadian prairies....

The wind blowing 40 miles an hour and -0  something on the thermometer and that's a good day. Dandy Dave!

• Like 1

After a very cold (for us in New Orleans) weekend with daytime temps barely approaching 50 degrees F, and Friday/Saturday night down into the 30s, we have had our 2-days of winter - at least I hope so !  

Now we're back to daytime highs in the mid-upper 70s. The major benefit here is that we are a coouple of blocks off the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain which is open to the Gulf of Mexico. As the North Wind comes across 24x40 miles of relatively warm water, it keeps us even more temperate than the surrounding land. Thankfully, I don't know where I left my windshield scraper - I did see it when cleaning out a shed a few years back.

TODAYMOSTLY CLOUDY

HIGH75°20%
TONIGHT

LOW62°20%
FRI

HIGH72°20%
FRI NIGHT

LOW57°10%
 I did start the '37 Roadmaster Phaeton yesterday, and may use it for a club outing on the 21st.

1937 BUICK OPEN - 2012 GLIDDEN - TEXAS.jpg

1937 Buick Front Left Quarter.JPG

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

After a very cold (for us in New Orleans) weekend with daytime temps barely approaching 50 degrees F, and Friday/Saturday night down into the 30s, we have had our 2-days of winter - at least I hope so !  

Now we're back to daytime highs in the mid-upper 70s. The major benefit here is that we are a coouple of blocks off the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain which is open to the Gulf of Mexico. As the North Wind comes across 24x40 miles of relatively warm water, it keeps us even more temperate than the surrounding land. Thankfully, I don't know where I left my windshield scraper - I did see it when cleaning out a shed a few years back.

TODAYMOSTLY CLOUDY

HIGH75°20%
TONIGHT

LOW62°20%
FRI

HIGH72°20%
FRI NIGHT

LOW57°10%
 I did start the '37 Roadmaster Phaeton yesterday, and may use it for a club outing on the 21st.

1937 BUICK OPEN - 2012 GLIDDEN - TEXAS.jpg

1937 Buick Front Left Quarter.JPG

You're killin me here Marty!!!<_<  :lol:

• Like 1

JohnD1956

• Buick Driver
  •  
  • JohnD1956
  • Members
  • 10,632 posts
  • LocationSchenectady, NY

You're killin me here Marty!!!<_<  :lol:

Hi John,

Sometimes I do miss winter. Many or our family and friends are still upstate New Yorkers - Dad grew up in Plattsburgh, NY. After a career as a firefighter in NJ, he and Mom retired to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, and never shoveled snow again.

I worked for IBM in mid-town Manhattan, but met my wife in New Orleans. Dating and engaged, I flew round-trip every other weekend for a nearly a year to be with her and her family in New Orleans and Grand Isle, Louisiana. Swimming, water skiing, and fishing in 85 degree Gulf of Mexico on New Years Day, and 3 days late walking into my office in the Time & Life Bldg with slush in my socks helped me to decide I could live without studded tires, windshield scraper, earmuffs, parka, etc. We did live in Ft Wayne, Indiana for a year and a half, and that was enough of a wakeup call. Five more years in Virginia, and back to New Orleans since late 1976. When the heat and humidity hit, we are usually on tour up north with the old cars and visiting friends and family. Maine, Wyoming, Nova Scotia & PEI, Montana, etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

When the heat and humidity hit, we are usually on tour up north with the old cars and visiting friends and family. Maine, Wyoming, Nova Scotia & PEI, Montana, etc.

Well, I'd vote for your plan!  Can't see it happening for me however.  Not in this life at any rate. 

My wife had once said we should sell everything, including the house, and buy a motor coach for our retirement.  Maybe I should have listened.  But it would be hard to tow the two cars I had at the same time.

8 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Well, I'd vote for your plan!  Can't see it happening for me however.  Not in this life at any rate. 

My wife had once said we should sell everything, including the house, and buy a motor coach for our retirement.  Maybe I should have listened.  But it would be hard to tow the two cars I had at the same time.

Hi John,  we looked into the same motorcoach plan when I started serving on the AACA Board, and Dale and I both started Judging every Meet and driving every tour. We figured that since we were traveling as much as we were at home, it would eliminate motel disappointments, make for better and more affordable meals, and have our own bed each night, maybe even minimizing campsite expenses by staying at Wal-Mart parking lots while enroute. It started with an innocent want-ad we saw for a $4,995 used 34-1/2 ft 1994 Holiday Rambler built on a Chevy 454 chassis - magnificent on the inside, but parked next to a Gulf of Mexico inlet for many years following Hurricane Katrina. It ran and drove well, but external latches and hinges had succumbed to the salt air, all ten tires plus the spare were 16 years old, and it could only tow 4,000 pounds (either our trailer OR an old car - but not both). We started looking into pre-owned Diesel Pushers. The first one was probably the best choice - a garaged and magnificently maintained top-of-the-line older Country Coach with new Michelins, belonging to the President of their owners' club. It was more than we wanted to spend at the time ($129,950). That lead to a series of cross country trips across Texas to consignment lots with one disappointment after another. By this time we were looking at 2000-2005 ten year old 40 - 42 ft Monaco Signature 500-600 hp Diesels with 2 & 3 slide-outs (adding more complexity, weight, and cost). Then we started adding up the cost of maintenance, insurance, storage (not permitted to keep one at home - local laws), AND new tires at $800 - $1,000/each. Every one we saw had beautiful looking tires that were about seven (7) years old - the time when radials should no longer be trusted - and we saw the results of when a Motorcoach flips due to a tread separation. A well-experienced friend defined maintenance as taking a house full of "Plumbing, Electrical, Structural, Appliance, and Automotive Systems, and shaking them down the road at 70 miles an hour! Ultimately the decision was made to continue to use motels, trailer our cars when necessary, and drive them to events whenever possible - and that is what we've been doing for the past five years that we've been serving and judging together.

Edited by Marty Roth
typos and correction (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

Towing the cars might not be too hard with the right trailer.  The harder part would be the garage and tool boxes.  I guess one could always look for the kind of trailer used by the NASCAR guys. You just substitute your motor home for the Kenworth.

NASCAR-hauler-1024x587.jpg

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:15 AM, RivNut said:

Towing the cars might not be too hard with the right trailer.  The harder part would be the garage and tool boxes.  I guess one could always look for the kind of trailer used by the NASCAR guys. You just substitute your motor home for the Kenworth.

NASCAR-hauler-1024x587.jpg

Yeah, but 18 tires at $800.00 - $1,000.00 each just for starts.

• 3 weeks later...