Keeping you car using posts from Facebook

Bill Stoneberg

There are quite a few of those kind of posts on fb, "drill holes in radiators to improve air flow, add antifreeze to engine oil to keep it from freezing, screw screws into your tires for better ice traction, etc..... I figure if you're dumb enough to get car advice from fb and don't double check it somewhere else you probably shouldn't have a vehicle in the first place.

• Like 2

Screwing screws into tires is not new, but is not recommended for long term use or for the uninitiated to perform.  We used to screw short (that should be read as "short") sheet metal screws into knobby motorcycle tires so that you could race on the ice.  I've also screwed short sheet metal screws into my lawnmower drive tires to give it better traction on sloped wet grass.  I have never done this on a car as I imaging the screws would not hold well.

As for people doing the rest of these things to their cars, I like to think of them as persons generating parts cars for the future.  The bigger problem is that these are part of a jury of our peers.

• Like 2