Jump to content

Meet "Toby" my 50 Model 51 project


Recommended Posts

On 12/26/2016 at 8:17 PM, Elpad said:

This is my next project after finishing The 54 72R that took me 4 years to build. God only knows how long this one will take but it needs a lot of work specially sheet metal work. Don't know much background on this car other than The car was acquired at a local auction in Florida and traces back to Ohio. It has an old BCA sticker so if the previous owner or someone else in the forum recognizes the car, please let me know 

Al

IMG_0340.JPG

My soon to be new friend Al.  That is really a project you have on your hands.....oh wow!  I wish I had some '50 parts on hand that could help you out. But, if you will get an old Buick Master Parts book, none newer than '55, but '53 would be better, and you need anything dating back to 1939 or 1941 I may be able to help you with some mechanical parts.  By the way, in one of your pictures I see a Master Cylinder hanging out.  The rebuild kit is still available from NAPA, their part number 3,  yes #3.  If you can't find one, I have a bunch of them here, new in the box.  You don't say if Toby is a Special or a Super....I'm guessing Super...if so it has a 263 cid engine and almost nothing from the old straights in the engine area will interchange (a couple of gaskets maybe).  But, if it is a Special, almost all of the 248 cid engine parts will enterchange back to 1937.  I have a good number of those for my '39 Special.  My '41 is a Roadmaster, and I have few parts for the big engine.  Just get a Master Parts Book and follow the numbers.  There is nothing more valuable when restoring an old Buick straight 8.  Remember the numbers in the book were the parts that were still available when the book was made, so the newer the book, the less part numbers and interchange for your '50 will show up.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Earl, still working on the”Super”, I started on this project when I started this thread. Is been a long journey and still turning wrenches to the left as my friend Mr. Lamar Brown says but enjoying every moment of it. The car is complete and running “super”, the odometer says 75,000. I picked up a donor in Maryland and used the two rear fenders and hood plus many miscellaneous parts that I still have around. I have all the chrome done and all materials to do the interior. The way I look at it, is all about the preservation of these Buick machines. Very slowly thou!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Fresh coat of primer to check for imperfections. Sanding an blocking will continue. This is my friend Alex trying out his new electric paint gun.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad the project is moving along.:)

Noticed it is a little breezy there.

Hope the neighbours aren't getting over spray on their cars...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dei said:

Glad the project is moving along.:)

Noticed it is a little breezy there.

Hope the neighbours aren't getting over spray on their cars...

Moved all neighbors plus mines! Not much overspray mist and dried instantly 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I helped a friend respray a Torondo in similar fashion.  Worked well.   Once paint is on it feels like a major milestone.  Once finished you will run into the dilemma as me.  It is hard to decide which one to drive for the day.   But, I find the choice is easy depending on which one is more accessible at the time.  Usually the 60 is as the 54 is up on casters and pushed to the wall to make room in my garage.  It is a bit of a pain taking her down to drive.          

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites

This was just heavy primer to continue blocking and sanding. the car is black so we have to keep doing this for minor imperfections since black will show any anomaly.  You should know this since you are the owner of a beautiful black 54 now sitting on casters! Paint will be sprayed at a paint booth. Well both the 50 & 54 will fit in the garage you see in the pictures once I finish putting it together. I have parts all over the place in there plus in my home office plus in utility shack. As far as driving them, once side by side I could flip a coin. Will see

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Elpad said:

This was just heavy primer to continue blocking and sanding. the car is black so we have to keep doing this for minor imperfections since black will show any anomaly.  You should know this since you are the owner of a beautiful black 54 now sitting on casters! Paint will be sprayed at a paint booth. Well both the 50 & 54 will fit in the garage you see in the pictures once I finish putting it together. I have parts all over the place in there plus in my home office plus in utility shack. As far as driving them, once side by side I could flip a coin. Will see

 

You are dead on correct with black paint.   The prep for final paint is crucial!    Two in the garage is a wonderful problem to have.   I suspect you will drive the 50 much more than the 54 for a while. Just new, fresh and not seen at the local car shows, etc.  This is what I experienced with the 60.   It will be nice to have both at home in the garage and available for you to drive.  I at one time kept the 54 in a storage unit.   

 

She is looking great!  Looking forward to the first run up and rolling in Toby. 

 

 

 

 

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

 

You are dead on correct with black paint.   The prep for final paint is crucial!    Two in the garage is a wonderful problem to have.   I suspect you will drive the 50 much more than the 54 for a while. Just new, fresh and not seen at the local car shows, etc.  This is what I experienced with the 60.   It will be nice to have both at home in the garage and available for you to drive.  I at one time kept the 54 in a storage unit.   

 

She is looking great!  Looking forward to the first run up and rolling in Toby. 

 

 

Still be a little while, after paint, will wait at least 30 days for paint to cure so we can buff it. Then glass work, interior and exterior assembly. By that time I will be retired (mid summer) looking forward to dedicate more time to the hobby. Yeap I will probably use the 50 first! Then like I said I can flip a coin.

 

  

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Elpad said:

Yeap I will probably use the 50 first! Then like I said I can flip a coin.

 

and....

Won't it be fun to have them "both" at the same showing.

That's my plan one day.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A few years ago my decision about which to drive was "rotation". Unless there was a specific reason to choose one over the other, every opportunity to drive was relagated to the next in turn. Age was the factor for starting the process. '56 1st. I think it made many rides more enjoyable when I didn't have to work through the decision process and it helped ensure all were regularly used. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Spring is here already. Thought I would have the car finished by this time, yet I find myself adding putty and doing more sanding to this quarantine project. How how fun! Enjoying this hobby

9D0BEA5B-4A19-47A7-8121-EEA774A656F4.jpeg

295D9E36-A20E-42DA-B760-983D01A6E661.jpeg

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Motivation posting to remind me how Toby would look like.. wow what a beautiful finish except on my book, I think it does not have the correct outside rear view mirror. I like the gas tank door accessory molding. Never seen one 4 sale.

D891DFF2-D433-4D36-A3A8-3001C0305078.jpeg

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...