Meet "Toby" my 50 Model 51 project

Elpad

36 minutes ago, Elpad said:

Here we go again!!! Knew this was going to happen. I got 3 choices and 3 different opinions just like my white wall tires. Seems to me I’m building a virtual car here, ha, ha...just trying to keep as an original look as possible. I broke the original upon removal and discarded long ago, don’t remember but I think it was clear. I will tell you this, clear is the cheapest one.

Mine has a light tint. I can not see the tint unless compared with a clear window glass.

Ben

• Like 1

Matching the rear glass is probably the best. Since you could have had clear or green tinted it it really your own preference. Since no one would really know what was original it would seem the best thing would be to set it up now for how it will be used. Display mostly? Probably clear. Or driven lightly or driven a lot? Green tint to the heavy tint. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Elpad said:

So soon I will have to purchase a windshield for the car. I found clear, green tinted and shaded, whatever that means. I tend to think is a darker tint on top of the windscreen. So which do you think is the correct replacement? I’m thinking clear.

Shaded usually means the top edge of the windshield is tinted dark.  Like you see with today's windshields.  That is a hard no for me as I have never seen anything from the 50's with a shaded edge on the windshield.  Now, what model is the Buick?  Special, Roady?  For me, if it is a Special it would need to be clear(the least expensive at the time and now).  The Special being the base model would probably have clear as standard.  If a Roady,  tinted or easy eye if available at that time.   My 54 Special is clear glass.  My 60 electra is easy eye tint.   It is all dollars spent by the purchaser on the particular model they could afford sans any additional goodies such as flexible wheel, WW tires, radio or auxiliary heater. 

For me...clear.  For you, however, being in the Miami area under the blazing sun(and if easy eye glass was available for this year)...the tinted may be the better choice and keeps it original.     

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Tinted if you are going to install AC.  What is the point if driving with 4 windows down.

No AC at this time. Windows down so they can see me even better smiling at them!  Think 🤔 I’m quoting you.

1 hour ago, avgwarhawk said:

Shaded usually means the top edge of the windshield is tinted dark.  Like you see with today's windshields.  That is a hard no for me as I have never seen anything from the 50's with a shaded edge on the windshield.  Now, what model is the Buick?  Special, Roady?  For me, if it is a Special it would need to be clear(the least expensive at the time and now).  The Special being the base model would probably have clear as standard.  If a Roady,  tinted or easy eye if available at that time.   My 54 Special is clear glass.  My 60 electra is easy eye tint.   It is all dollars spent by the purchaser on the particular model they could afford sans any additional goodies such as flexible wheel, WW tires, radio or auxiliary heater. 

For me...clear.  For you, however, being in the Miami area under the blazing sun(and if easy eye glass was available for this year)...the tinted may be the better choice and keeps it original.     

Toby is a Super with a a one piece windshield

Installing door sill wiskers on the interior garnish molding. What a pain. The originals were worn and removed to paint the molding. They are factory affixed with a heavy duty steel staple. My glass man told me that they install new ones all the time by drilling and riveting. Used a 7/64 rivet. Used left over piece when I did my 54 but ran out of material. For first time doing this, I’m happy with the results.

81AA6113-2C3D-4668-847B-C353B46C210A.jpeg

7BB1FD0D-478D-47A2-A18F-00BA60CEAF20.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Matching the rear glass is probably the best. Since you could have had clear or green tinted it it really your own preference. Since no one would really know what was original it would seem the best thing would be to set it up now for how it will be used. Display mostly? Probably clear. Or driven lightly or driven a lot? Green tint to the heavy tint. 

Mostly display But come August 1, I will be retiring and hopefully becomes more like an occasional driver. 

• Like 2

Today’s events, brought the car from the body shop. Car definitely needs to be buff. So will let seat for few days until arrangements can be made with the polisher. Mustache “Buick Eight” indentation were painted with Por-15 paint.

On 4/24/2020 at 11:45 AM, JohnD1956 said:

Green tint will be. Found the rear glass that I removed over a year ago. Thanks for the tip

9A661D93-A867-4EF5-AFB9-9CD776AA58A6.jpeg

Edited by Elpad (see edit history)
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, lancemb said:

What is the stuff you used to mask?   How did you cut it out? 

I used the pictured masking tape. Home Depot sells it for about $8 bucks, no sticky residue. Masking the letters? Lots of patience. Don’t let the paint dry, pull the tape carefully while wet. Had to refinish some letters with a thin fine brush and that required a double doses of patience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m using the same tape for the two tone dash paint job in my ‘52 Special. Good stuff. I started following your progress a few days ago, and like the attention to detail and the pics you have on various jobs along the way. Nice car and well documented. Thanks, I will probably use your posts for reference as I proceed with my project.

• Like 2

Glad to be an inspiration to someone in the forum. I do the same from all who contribute  in different threads. Gives a lot of meaning to the group. Hey I’m just tinkering and trying to cut cost while building this car, by no means an expert or a pro. Just having fun with it ( most of the time)

• Like 1

Have you ever heard of a shade tree upholsterer? Well that is me, spent the afternoon covering the pieces that I cut long ago and formed to fit. Used marine vinyl fabric purchased on the web.Just did 6 pieces today including the package shelf. I will deal with trunk tomorrow. First time I do this, learned by watching when the  shop did my 54. Guess save some money and happy with results.

405E9F7A-B130-4091-872E-ED22F0492AC5.jpeg

44008BEC-1961-42E6-B3D4-31ECF02A351F.jpeg

• Like 3

Pulled the seats from storage and fixed some broken frame bolts. Tried the rear seat in place to se how that upper rail will fit. See I got this car completely disassembled. Tomorrow I will take the seats to the upholstery shop. Just playing ahead for final assembly 

603029F7-0F34-4750-AF6F-188ACD2291B8.jpeg

B9CB966C-0E38-4A95-8F9D-5B85301833BA.jpeg

7E49883F-1D34-4707-A0A3-7C49046FC9F5.jpeg

• Like 1

Removed the hood to refinish the inside again. In addition The hood developed sporadic very small fish eye condition on the exterior new paint which I’m not happy with. Going back to the body shop for repaint. Rest of the car is ok. The buffer man told me to let sit for two more weeks for curing so if I repaint the hood next week, I’m looking about another month to begin putting Toby together.

BBFC75FD-51F5-4139-A1D6-61056B7E10AF.jpeg

Well another setback. The hood still at the body shop being repainted but the compressor went down and is being repaired. I guess getting Toby together will coincide with my upcoming retirement next July 31st.

E55EDDF7-683C-48DC-BFBD-9E2C27B1E2C4.jpeg