Are auto/truck makers missing an opportunity?

Brad in Wisconsin

On 12/20/2016 at 5:37 PM, dei said:

Had to rent a truck recently (long story) and my only stipulation was an 8 foot box.

Met the rental guy and walked out to find this.

IMG_0890_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

WAAAY overkill. This land yacht I think is longer than my '58 Buick Limited?!

Nothing "basic wheels" about this: 5.7 L gas Hemi, 4 wheel drive, Dash that looks like the cockpit of a 747 or bigger?, heated front and back seats, power this, power that, video in-dash back up camera, and on and on.... I'm sure it is waaay more than my house cost me in 1985.

The guy said it was just below half and he filled it up costing 85 Bucks Cdn.

Call will be in first thing in the morning for something more realistic if it can be had this time of year.

Here's my Land Yacht.

2016 Ram, 6.7 Cummins Diesel, 4X4, long bed, six speed manual. It's the Tradesman version, so it doesn't have all of the goodies. I had 300K on my old truck, so I know what I want and need. Power, comfort, reliability and something that resembles decent mileage. reliability will remain to be seen. The rest, it has in spades. We pull a fifth wheel RV so we didn't engage in overkill. Cost, adjusted for inflation was, probably, less that we gave for our old 1995 SLT Laramie

20161018_144220.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:47 AM, Frantz said:

I sell Fords for a living and bought the cheapest car.......Fiesta S with crank windows, manual transmission, and standard bluetooth!  That being said, in the two years I've owned my car, we have sold zero Fiesta S models. In fact, I had to locate mine, and the closest one was 3 hours away. No one has requested information on such a vehcile either. American's don't like utility value IMO.

Hey Frantz, I also sell Fords and I am sure you know why those don't sell well.  Say it with me...."for just a few more dollars a month you could have (insert trigger here)--automatic/cruise control/bigger car/better resale value, etc...."  This was probably the downfall at Rambler post-Romney--his successors no doubt thought that having a full line would allow more trading up "for just a little more" like Ford and (especially) GM buyers were trained to do, Todd C

• Like 1

One of the overlooked issues is that there are many more regulations to meet these days that require more expensive solutions. Take diesels for instance....the cost of the exhaust after treatment system is very high. That wasn't required back in the good ole days. Meeting new CAFE standards requires premium components and electronics. New crashworthiness requirements requires higher strength steels in key locations (need to keep the weight down for fuel economy). Occupant protection means more airbags, belt pretensioners,.....the list goes on.

It is hard to put all this in a stripped down inexpensive vehicle and still make a profit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stude Light said:

One of the overlooked issues is that there are many more regulations to meet these days that require more expensive solutions. Take diesels for instance....the cost of the exhaust after treatment system is very high. That wasn't required back in the good ole days. Meeting new CAFE standards requires premium components and electronics. New crashworthiness requirements requires higher strength steels in key locations (need to keep the weight down for fuel economy). Occupant protection means more airbags, belt pretensioners,.....the list goes on.

It is hard to put all this in a stripped down inexpensive vehicle and still make a profit.

I saw a number of years ago that Tata Motors had a small car for the rest of the world and if they brought it into the US market it would cost at least $7,000.00 additional cost to make it saleable.  And that was a number of years ago. Who knows what it would cost today.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Say it with me...."for just a few more dollars a month you could have (insert trigger here)--automatic/cruise control/bigger car/better resale value, etc...."

Yes yes, this convinces me that myself, and likely the OP, have a severe mental health issue. The Fiesta sells terrible because the Focus can be had for the same basic money. Of course, the Fiesta offers a much tighter driving experience. I don't fit the SPACED (Safety, Performance, Appearance, Comfort, Economy, Dependability) mold very well because "utility" and "drive" aren't part of it which I have a high value for. That's why we moved from station wagons to suvs.

On 12/20/2016 at 6:33 PM, Frantz said:

You're absolutely right! Ford has been the best selling truck for 40 years because their trucks are junk even though they cost more than the competition.

I have no preference of GM over Ford, so 

I just mention this for historical fact.

Since General Motors' pick-ups are split into

Chevrolet and GMC brands, GM's

truck production numbers appear lower.

If Chevrolet and GMC were combined, I've heard

stated, the result would be the top seller.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

20 hours ago, CarlLaFong said:

Here's my Land Yacht.

2016 Ram, 6.7 Cummins Diesel, 4X4, long bed, six speed manual. It's the Tradesman version, so it doesn't have all of the goodies. I had 300K on my old truck, so I know what I want and need. Power, comfort, reliability and something that resembles decent mileage. reliability will remain to be seen. The rest, it has in spades. We pull a fifth wheel RV so we didn't engage in overkill.

I'll agree with you on "knowing what you want and need" for the job it has to do and if you can hold down on the loaded up version should be somewhat cost effective, that's all great Carl!

In my particular situation that wasn't available to me and was disappointed at the size and differences from my 2011 somewhat basic truck.

My neighbour has the 2016 diesel Ram with automatic, fully loaded and sadly the computer system is fraught with many issues the least of which, while driving down the highway, it will suddenly flash that there is no fob present.....

It has been in and out of the dealership so many times that he is getting another Ram to replace it.

Not picking on the Ram particularly (there are things with many makes) but reminds me of the days when if you bought a new car and problems came up with it, was said on the street, it was either made on a Monday or a Friday.

I understand technology and manufacturing has come a long way for sure but to the original post (and taking into account what others have said about safety costs) still wonder if a basic truck is missing the market some?

33 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Since General Motors' pick-ups are split into

Chevrolet and GMC brands, GM's

truck production numbers appear lower.

If Chevrolet and GMC were combined, I've heard

stated, the result would be the top seller

This is true some years, and other years Ford beats the combined figure of GM. GM claims best in class V8 towing, and forgets to say "the V6 Ford beats our v8 in towing by a few hundred pounds". Frankly they are both good trucks, as they generally have been, I've owned a few of each myself. It's a touch of marketing either way for sure and the discussion of why GMC and Chevy have been separate for trucks since the get go is a worthwhile historic discussion. The notion stands that Ford isn't hurting for sales on its trucks, and the idea that there are quality issues leading to a bare bones truck sitting on the lot are more than a bit off, and that was my intended point.

Well a lot depends on what "bare bones" really means. If it includes AC, a trailer towing package, reclining seats, and full instrumentation (and you mentioned Bluetooth as standard which implies an infotainment center) then it is possible but frankly I'd rather have an 8-speed automagic than a six speed manual in a tow vehicle.

As to "who makes the best ?", that is a moving target. When I needed a tow car in '12, it was a Jeep and is the most comfortable trip/tow car I've had. Five years later, the EcoBoost 3.5 has a lot of appeal.

For me the low line of a TOL model has always made sense. Same thought went through  people who bought Caddy Calais's and Bentleys.