1932 Thorne gas/electric help

jreeder41

We have in our shop a 32 Thorne. The truck is mostly complete. It is missing the rad cap and the lever for the ignition is broken. The lever is very similar to a 28 dodge headlamp lever but the base is longer on the Thorne. I attached a couple pics. The radiator is a dodge unit #585936

IMG_3731.JPG

IMG_3732.JPG

IMG_3733.JPG

IMG_3732.JPG

The handle is likely same shape for both.  I'd cast a new pair from zinc, by using the green-sand method with a simple core box.

Here is a talented home casting guy in UK, and he has plenty of videos to make parts like that.   This one video deals with making green sand and some looks at the simple core box for small parts like that:

I'd choose zinc, rather than aluminum because I think the zinc can be copper/nickel plated?   Zinc is a bit stronger too, and not much more temps to melt it down, compared to Aluminum.   I do small zinc parts using old carburetor bodies broken up.  I used to heat the chunks in a indoor wood boiler in a small cast iron pot, and when the combustion blower was blowing on the wood, it took 10-15 minutes for a batch.  You don't really need a cast pot, you can melt in a steel one.

Castings shrink when cooled.  There are online charts to tell how much per inch on a given metal.  If that is a problem, you can use a dip coating on the old part to make it bigger, to end up with the right size.  It won't need much for a short part like that.

On the cap, if you knew what it looks like, you could also cast a new upper part by making a dummy cap to press into the sand. I'd assume the cap was pretty simple looking, and not too intricate design?

That 3 tang lower piece that fits down the neck, would have been a cup shaped thing, held to the underside of the cap casting with a screw.  The cup could be made from a "Marine" brass, cup-type freeze plug.  Lots of places sell brass freeze plugs for the auto engine rebuilding trade.

Edited by F&J (see edit history)

Interesting vehicles. The '36 we did had a 4 cylinder Hercules industrial engine turning a 70 volt generator which in turn powered the motor attached to the rear wheels. Interesting trivia question. Why did owners buy the gas electrics to use as delivery vehicles? What was their advantage over traditional vehicles? Ours was a milk truck. They were also popular with bakeries and other urban businesses that delivered. 

1 hour ago, Restorer32 said:

Interesting vehicles. The '36 we did had a 4 cylinder Hercules industrial engine turning a 70 volt generator which in turn powered the motor attached to the rear wheels. Interesting trivia question. Why did owners buy the gas electrics to use as delivery vehicles? What was their advantage over traditional vehicles? Ours was a milk truck. They were also popular with bakeries and other urban businesses that delivered. 

I would think the stop and go with, what was essentially, an electric vehicle, would be less fatiguing for the driver and maintenance would be easier with no conventional driveline

Actually the big advantage was the lack of a clutch. Then as now employees seem to delight in abusing clutches. The elderly gentleman we restored the truck for ( member of the family that still owns the dairy) had to use the milk truck if he wanted to date with wheels. The family had money and a car but he was relegated to the milk truck.

Actually we did the complete restoration of the Thorne Jay has. We restored it for his brother Dale, now passed. Jay likes to claim he restored the truck but he had nothing to do with the restoration. He was never in our shop. We finished the restoration in 1998. He simply inherited the restored truck when Dale passed. We contacted Bif and he helped us with the final wiring on the truck. The truck has been shown is several AACA shows, including Hershey. JusT setting the record straight.