Old Car Mags from 1970's Up

victorialynn2

Where do old car mags go to retire? I have lots and lots of Hemmings, Old Car Report, Car and Driver, etc. I also have a lot of Old Car Books. Some books (mostly service manuals), I may list on Amazon, but I can't do that with all of the stuff and I am too rural to attract a lot of local buyers. I'd hate to see them go to waste. Any ideas?

Inventory the car specific manuals and put them on ebay; they have value.  The magazines, unless they are big name brand like Hot Rod, possibly Car and Driver.  Otherwise they may not have much value.  I have found that when books or magazines are donated they tend to get tossed or put into a book sale for free.  

Probably not worth the trouble to sell them. I bought a couple Car and Driver off eBay, one a 1962 and the other a 1966 but only paid about $5 plus $3 shipping. People likely to only buy an issue if it has a road test of a car they own. Many just go unsold. Hemmings probably are not worth anything as they have little in the way of articles and mostly are just for sale ads. You might have some Car and Driver with road tests of "Muscle Cars" that might sell, but for the most part the newer the magazine the lower the value.

• Like 1

Service manuals may be worth the trouble to sell them, but the old car magazines ... not so much.  That's just my opinion.  If you bundle the old car magazines and sell them by the box full, you should be able to get something for them: however, "by the box full" means that shipping costs become significant.  If you can find a local car club or perhaps a high school automotive shop class that would welcome such a donation, that might be a good destination for the old car magazines.  Personally, I like to look at old car magazines, but, on the open market, they're not worth a whole lot.  Best of luck.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

I had a similar problem when my Father passed away, the magazine's I donated to the local hospice thrift store and they even came and picked them up. The manuals I agree with the others , put an inventory together and even post it here for a bulk purchase plus shipping.

Good luck, I know it is hard..... 

• Like 1

If you have a continuous run of several years of something like Hot Rod you can usually sell those on Ebay, albeit not for a lot...the shipping kills the value, because you can't ship them media mail.  As was mentioned, 60s editions with muscle cars will be the sellers...70s and later will be tough to sell.  I cut some of mine up, and framed some of the advertising.

I had quantities of car magazines from 60's through present that I didn't want to move last year and tried giving them away and the only taker was for old AACA magazines. The rest went to the recycler. 

• Like 1

In 2010 I tried to donate boxes of car related magazines to my local high school and library. Both told me that they couldn't accept them because of "liability issues". Are you kidding me, what is someone going to do, get a paper cut and sue them. On a cross country trip I visited the Speedway Museum in Lincoln NE. and when we toured their library I commented that I had boxes of old magazines. They took them all and paid for the shipping and even offered to pay for the boxes.

• Like 1

Hopefully you got 'em to some place or someone(s) who will appreciate them & take care of them!

Your rural "dilemma" got me thinking ... it'd be kind of cool to road trip to deliver old car magazines all over the place ... lol.

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc

"So many people have come & gone; their faces fade as the years go by" | Boston | 'More Than A Feeling'

• Like 1