Restore or Keep Original?

AJFord54

I acquired this towel rack from an 82 year old gentleman who was retiring from his gas station repair business.  As you can see, it is covered in grease and oil.  I'm going to ask the age-old question of you folks - "should I clean it or leave as is"?

This is a funny business.  We choose to restore our cars to look like they came from the factory, yet other times we go the HPOF route.  I have a beautifully restored Kendall gas pump, and also have a really nice Atlantic Wayne 60 "as found".  From pedal cars to toys, the debate goes on - restore or leave as is.

What would you do with this?  Frankly, even if you touch it, the grease gets all over your hands.  Thoughts?

IMG_5003.JPG

IMG_5002.JPG

IMG_5001.JPG

Edited by AJFord54 (see edit history)

I would clean it with WD 40.  It will clean all the heavy grease off without affecting the paint at all.  You can then clean it more with lighter fluid.  I did it to inner fenders on my 36 Chrysler with original lacquer  paint and then clear coated them without a single fish eye.  You may be able to clean it all in 1 step with lighter fluid on a paper towel.  Hard to say without seeing it in person.  Just be careful around the graphic until you are sure it won't be affected.  A framing store I know uses the stuff to clean photographs.  I suggest paper towels so you can burn them once done so you don't have flammable material laying around your shop.  I throw mine in the woodstove or use it to light the woodstove works great.  I bought a similar towel rack that was very dusty with stains and surface rust just starting on it.  Looks awesome now without repainting. 

Wash it in the sink, when the wife is gone? You are a brave man, that is up there with doing powder coating in the oven when they are gone.:angry:. As far as the resto goes. The piece does not have a high value, have some fun with it. Take some of your pictures of your cars, shop or garage logo, family or friends. And have a sign company. Scan the images and do a vinyl wrap on the piece. It will turn out nice, and have a personal touch. And then match the theme you have in your shop. It could also be repurposed ,to have a new function.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...