Fantastic all original '68

PWB

I spotted that one too Paul and enjoyed the original owner/seller comments - lot's of pictures, and it's a nice, low mile original, unmolested '68 Riviera !

Didn't see any bubbles under the vinyl top in the pictures provided, and that rear bumper adjustment is an easy fix.

Missing a few options, but all-in-all a decent car, with all the original documentation, P-O-P booklet, and a dozen 8 track tapes. 

It also has the original, 1st style door pulls which were notorious for breaking due to the age of the plastic mounts, and the large, heavy doors.

Later models had the pull style strap that ran almost the full length of the upper door insert.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

Nice, original appearing 'survivor'.  My main gripe with the '68 and '69 models is the fact that the unique dash from the '66 & '67 was replaced with the same one used in the Electra 225.  Just removes some of the the styling impact (at least from the driver's perspective).  I also noted the original owner saw fit to add a set of 430 valve cover decals to the rocker moldings...  Still a pretty car, though.

Looks like it sold for a bit over $16K.

Yeah, I think the 68-69 looks more like other more common muscle cars, than other early Rivieras. Still way more kick ass.

I love the rolling speedo of the 66-67, yet its also cool to have shoulder seatbelt and more rubberized dash, in the event of a collision.

I prefer the center horse shoe console shifter of the 68 over the 69, yet like the curved grill of the 69 over 68.

Yeah I saw that! I'm chompin' at the bit.  :blink: Maybe the buyer viewed the bubbled top.

I just cant get over no A.C. It would be a nightmare to upgrade. I'm guessing a new wiring harness would be needed also. Ugh

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 9:37 PM, EmTee said:

Nice, original appearing 'survivor'.  My main gripe with the '68 and '69 models is the fact that the unique dash from the '66 & '67 was replaced with the same one used in the Electra 225.  Just removes some of the the styling impact (at least from the driver's perspective).  I also noted the original owner saw fit to add a set of 430 valve cover decals to the rocker moldings...  Still a pretty car, though.

I agree. Its a shame so much was lost (Just my opinion) on the '68 dash. No gauges. Vertical face. Pretty plain layout.

The '66/'67 is (late) mid-century modern at its best. I love the bold '68 bumper though - and longer nose! And that '68 green is color good for me. ;) If I only had $20g to throw out. (I hope this sells for 20g)

Dash.jpg

• Like 1

Beauty is in the "i" of the beholder guys !

The '68 instrument cluster puts everything in front of the pilot, for quick and easy reference !

The cluster pictured is not '68 Riviera, as it has a proper temperature guage, and there is no 'cruise control' option installed.

All the '68 full size cars (...LeSabre, Wildcat, Electra, and Riviera) had similar clusters, with minor variations.

However, I must admit that the rolling speedometer indicator was a neat, distinct feature of the early 2nd generation Rivieras !

• Like 1

I read somewhere that the main reason was new safety regulations that dictated dash padding (among other things).  So, $-wise it made sense to amortize the investment across as many models/cars as possible.  Maybe the first step in the homogenization of the automobile that has resulted in the jelly-beans on all of the new car dealer lots today.  Is that a Ford, no - Toyota, er, Kia -- I give up...  :huh:

Yeah, the early Toronados shared the drum speedo with the Riviera.  There's a lot goin' on there, though - it looks a little 'cluttered' to my eye (but then again, I'm partial to the Buick).  I do, however love that 4-spoke Olds steering wheel!

16 hours ago, EmTee said:

I read somewhere that the main reason was new safety regulations that dictated dash padding (among other things).  So, $-wise it made sense to amortize the investment across as many models/cars as possible.  Maybe the first step in the homogenization of the automobile that has resulted in the jelly-beans on all of the new car dealer lots today.  Is that a Ford, no - Toyota, er, Kia -- I give up...  :huh:

Spot on.  I remember being in school as a kid and being able to identify the year, make, and model of every car that went by.  The taillights alone could tell you if it was a Bel Air or Impala, a '66 or '67.  These days?  I couldn't tell you so much as the company who made 90% of the cars on the road.

For a cool speedo, though, it's hard to beat the 59(?)-61 Buick.  For a complete cluster, ya gotta go with the '59 Buick:

1959_Buick_Electra_Hardtop_For_Sale_Dash

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, PWB said:

SOLD AND UP FOR RESALE?

Here she is again - shipped coast to coast and the ante went way up.

Pretty slick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Buick-Riviera-/282239258077?forcerrptr=true&hash=item41b6c54ddd:g:0RkAAOSwcUBYFt3o&item=282239258077

Looks like it sold for $17.5k. Add taxes, transportation clear across country, then subtract ebay seller fees when he resells it and on the surface, it would not appear much money is being made in the flip for the effort and risk considering the time of year.

The current seller does not have the same ebay name as the one who bought it.

Indeed. Very strange. Maybe he discovered the bubble on the vinyl roof? Other issues? No air conditioning is a tough sell for some.

Not very much profit IF it sells for that price. But I hope it does. All boats rise/fall with the tide.

Poor car needs a home.  :(

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

This car was on CL locally (Tacoma WA) back in August when the original owner's son first had it for sale, and I have his email address and phone number if someone wants to speak with him about the car.  When I spoke to him then he never said anything about it never being driven at night or getting wet or spending every night except one in the garage, but that doesn't mean it did or didn't happen. 

Seems like a quite a stretch though for a car in WA for 40+ years  to have never been driven in the rain.  Even the cars I own that I "don't drive in the rain" have still been driven in the rain, because in WA, "Rain Happens", even when it is supposed to be a nice day.

I do remember the son was also selling a 48 Pontiac with 58k miles that his dad bought new as well, and there was a 50 Chevy too I think. 

Edited by cjp69 (see edit history)

I could be wrong but think what it sold for the first time around was about right on. At current price he's looking for the needle in haystack buyer which he may find it he waits long enough. Possibly someone from across the ocean. Cons are time of year and the drab colors. Pros are the mileage and bucket seat/shifting console. If that car was a killer color combo I'd wager it would sell for his asking price without too much trouble.