Topper1961

1964 Buick LeSabre Estate Wagon KX Code

Buick supporters....

The wagon is finally in the shop to my friend Art in Tempe AZ. Been stored in the backyard to Ken, the owner and builder of the 54 Wildcat II recreation. So it's been in good company. 

Still collecting some parts and first priority will be the search for new cornering light lenses...have one NOS

Color will be the original KK solid Sunburst Yellow. Perhaps Cordovan metallic under the trim.

Interiour, still need some opinons from you guys if it will be brown or the western style in fawn from my partscar

A lot of parts, seems like engine and transmission never pulled before.

I'l keep you posted!

Joern

IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_1552.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1551.JPG

IMG_1553-1.JPG

IMG_1554.JPG

IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_1550.JPG

• Like 3

Good luck . It looks like it will be a sweet one when you're finished.

Thanks John!

And your comment is precise, "sweet" when finished...will take some time and hopefully it will be a great Buick again. Point is to enjoy the good Buick time when restoring and do it right.

Save a Buick Longroof and get some smiles when it's done:)

Cheers 

Joern

90c77961fea0fac7e9eacf732d4d47ca--christmas-past-christmas-cards.jpg

• Like 3

Last move before Christmas.

Interesting comment from RivNut and confirmed by Art. It is a California car with some special emission arrangments, pics above and notice i.e. the spark plug looms..

Have a Great Buick Christmas all of you!

IMG_1558.JPG

Edited by Topper1961 (see edit history)

Early Christmas Eve!

In my search for a NOS Cornering Light Lens, I had to make a detour back to my home country (Norway & TomPett) for a valid part source, back to US and luckily Glenn C had a complete one. Strange route to go for the find itself, but nevertheless perfect. Thank God that somebody is foresighted enough to collect and hold on this valuable parts for us Buick owners. So - sometimes it really pays off to stubborn as Billy The Goat..............

The Guide-Matic will soon be on its way to John Oldenburg for full restoration, and at very the moment I am reading up on everything about the Electro-Cruise. Got hold of a correct NOS reset kit for it as well. 

The TH 400 is already delivered to the transmission guy, so things has started to move. 

This 64 wagons built on the Wildcat platform with a power full 425 Super Wildcat engine had only single exhaust system, any logical reason? Looking at the frame and undercarriage I cant clearly figure out why. anyone?  

Thanks for looking!

Cornering light Complete Right side.jpg

Kit Electro-Cruise reset.JPG

Edited by Topper1961
correcting and adding text (see edit history)

This wasn't the only powerful car to have single exhaust, Cadillac was doing this by 1966 or 67. In 1968 they had a brand new high performance 472 V8, and one muffler.

My 1968 Olds 98 455 Rocket 88 high compression is also single exhaust. My 1965 Grand Prix 389 4 Bbl has the optional dual exhaust.

I guess GM wanted to give one more option to make extra money, and only one muffler to rust out?

If you choose to go dual exhaust, choose the system very carefully based on previous owners experience. Sometimes the pipes are bent in a less-than-perfect fashion, my Grand Prix is a good example. The guy paid a custom muffler shop $900, and he could have bought the most perfect bent system, made by computer for $600. So now I look at sagging pipes that are stretching my beautiful original rubber exhaust hangers.

Edited by CORVAIRWILD (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I would then guess the effect and output on the rear wheels was the same. So it was more about the "look, trend, image" what ever, and a extra option and income for GM in the end. Make sence.

If you're thinking of replacing the system, I'd go for the dual exhaust.  Less restrictive.

Except for special orders, the 1964 Lesabre came with the 185 hp 300 cubic inch V8.  No need for dual exhaust with that engine.  It would have been ineffective cost wise to have made a special exhaust for such a rare car so the single exhaust was used.

When Buick put your power plant in the 1965 Riviera, one of the items that went with it was a larger 2-1/4" diameter exhaust system with bends that were more gentle.  You might as well let your engine breathe to its potential.  

I have always wondered if the mufflers for this generation Buick were separated inside, for true dual exhaust, or was it one big transverse muffler with dual inlets and outlets? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RivNut said:

If you're thinking of replacing the system, I'd go for the dual exhaust.  Less restrictive.

Except for special orders, the 1964 Lesabre came with the 185 hp 300 cubic inch V8.  No need for dual exhaust with that engine.  It would have been ineffective cost wise to have made a special exhaust for such a rare car so the single exhaust was used.

When Buick put your power plant in the 1965 Riviera, one of the items that went with it was a larger 2-1/4" diameter exhaust system with bends that were more gentle.  You might as well let your engine breathe to its potential.  

Just buy the 64 Wildcat duals.  These wagons are on a 46000 chassis, not the LeSabre's.  

I put the single exhaust on mine, just cause I'm a crazy person.  Waldron's :)

• Like 1

When I was looking for a hard to find part for our 1985 LaSabre limited CE  I was told to contact Barry at Sonic motors Fenton Michigan.

I have been to his place on Hickory Ridge road and he has several buildings of new GM stock from places going out of business or cleaning out old stock from their parts bins.

I have lost the phone number i had but he is on face book. Might give him a look for that hard to find part.

https://www.facebook.com/Sonic-Motors-Inc-805988552801862/

Nice wagon would to love to see it finished.

:D     Al

• Like 1

Topper, how is the 64 Wagon project?

Did you get the parts car?  I'm looking at my roof rack and wondering if I can replace the rusted tubes with stainless steel polished tubes.

Then I thought maybe you had an extra rack from your parts car?   Anyway, share some progress!

Ted

Hi Ted!

Art is working on the wagon with a nice pace, I on the other hand suffering from not being there with some tools in my hands. Not been over in Tempe since July, so I follow from a "long distance" and try to get hold of some of the parts we need as we go along. Most happy with the NOS Cornering Light and the hub caps. Dissent price thinking of quality and how hard some of this parts is to get hold of. 

Parts car came and has been very handy so far, both for options and various parts. Unfortunately no roof rack on it, has been removed long time ago together with engine and transmission. I love your idea of replacing the tubes with polished stainless steel, should be possible. There has be to some companies that can make the parts on the original measures. See Steve`s Technic to get it apart...    

The main KX car has no big surprises, a lot of pinhole and some smaller rust-holes that need patching. Lower tailgate rusted out on both cars, unless we find a good used one the lower end has to be made from scratch.      

Art is able to save and rescue the original fiberboard headliner panels. When the time comes he will wet them down, roll them and tie them to dry to regain their shape.  He did that years ago on his Caballero.  We'll also have enough good plastic strips between the two cars to do one and maybe have one or two left over. I have not forgotten that you might need some parts. PM me if want to get in touch with me and Art about that. 

My 57 Century 66R is also in the last finish phase, Old School with 3 speed stick on the floor, 57 SUN Tachometer, Chrome reverse wheels, California rake style, 59 Cadillac Sombrero chrome air-cleaner to dress it up. Also note the fully working "Door Flippers" old trick copied from Roadmaster and super

Some pictures of the rusty parts car and the KX 64 progress and one of the 57 - enjoy!

Thanks for looking

Joern

IMG_1589.thumb.JPG.529291d9627ccb76c228ade39ae93846.JPGIMG_1581.thumb.JPG.db7f2436ec906a954f5a94c5ea9dedbc.JPGIMG_1582.thumb.JPG.a0c69159151da3e9eec337433b8255be.JPGIMG_1579.thumb.JPG.68729eeb9793798b1aa348e9e46df334.JPGIMG_1580.thumb.JPG.2930685fc0383898a989ca34b2002686.JPGIMG_1584.thumb.JPG.afb5aa4ba6afe4794a9344cd85621ec6.JPGIMG_1586.thumb.JPG.ebeb02cc20c761c5d9278bb2fb2be1e0.JPGIMG_1595.thumb.JPG.475106babbd9f879b325e7a549f66c9d.JPGIMG_1596.thumb.JPG.5629f05184338dce0a5a855df77cad2e.JPGIMG_1597.thumb.JPG.e70761f96b4ed5bc19f1fc114d9fb5f8.JPGIMG_1598.thumb.JPG.d2a641813cc19a16c5d7c69c75aad8fa.JPGIMG_1588.thumb.JPG.433d8ca3f6c740aeefa7f88e83df5f27.JPGIMG_1587.thumb.JPG.93338bc2e18c48ea5bc17a492affdd59.JPGIMG_1566.thumb.JPG.0c67a7f5eec261a66450e383b5da004b.JPG

IMG_1583.JPG

IMG_1577.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

Edited by Topper1961
Adding and correcting text, removed duplicating pictures (see edit history)

On 26.1.2018 at 5:15 AM, Ted Nagel said:

Just buy the 64 Wildcat duals.  These wagons are on a 46000 chassis, not the LeSabre's.  

I put the single exhaust on mine, just cause I'm a crazy person.  Waldron's :)

Then there were two! I go crazy as well. Will stick to the original singles exhaust! You all convinced me, one way or another! 

Go stock!

Joern

3787198.jpg

• Like 1

Update!

More rust to fix. On the positive side, the Super Turbine 400 back from the Transmission guy. Detailed and ready to be mounted when the time comes. Complete overhaul $785.00 

IMG_1614.thumb.JPG.2dbf6ae1b1f43ba3af03ae10da35aa69.JPGIMG_1615.thumb.JPG.fdd410a7c62b5a8cf68b62352ad97ba1.JPG

IMG_1611.JPG

IMG_1612.JPG

• Like 1

Curious about that corner of the black '58 I see in the shot with the '57.

Which model is it?

Any pictures?

$785 seem steep to me. I bought a rebuilt 700R4 without returning the core, and the guy put in all the best quality parts and a shift kit and it was $900 out the door.

The 400 would perform better with a shift kit, but it's not necessary, especially for a weekend show car, and all the stock hard parts are more than adequate, whereas the 700 needed a few update parts, especially since I use it in a four-wheel-drive Suburban and I tow heavy loads. I towed both this junk S10 plow truck, and they almost drunk Mercedes a total of 200 miles on Sunday. On the road from 10 a.m. to 1 a.m. I was stopped by the state police at 11 p.m. in Vermont for going too slow on the interstate so, I told him I was peddling as fast as I could

IMG-20180319-WA0025.jpeg

IMG-20180318-WA0116.jpeg

IMG-20180318-WA0093.jpeg

Long time with out posting any update or progress on the wagon or the 57 coupe. Been fully occupied at work, family other. Time to post some pictures..

Primer on, lot of works done on frame, suspension, brakes. Went for an upgrade to front disc-brakes and complete VIKING 64 BB full size Buick shocks and coil-overs.    

IMG_1692.JPG

IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1715.JPG

IMG_1741.JPG

IMG_1739.JPG

Color, finally decided to go for Claret Mist with the original Fawn interior from the parts car.  A lot of masking on the doors

IMG_1919.JPG

IMG_1922.JPG

• Like 1

Some picture of a 64 Buick in Claret Mist, I think the deep red will match the trim and chrome quite well. Also a picture of the Tachometer, rebuilt for the Pertronix Flame Thrower coil and electronic ignition 

DSCF3661blog.jpg

DSCF3663blog.jpg