1964 Buick LeSabre Estate Wagon KX Code

Topper1961

On 26.1.2018 at 5:15 AM, Ted Nagel said:

Just buy the 64 Wildcat duals.  These wagons are on a 46000 chassis, not the LeSabre's.  

I put the single exhaust on mine, just cause I'm a crazy person.  Waldron's :)

Then there were two! I go crazy as well. Will stick to the original singles exhaust! You all convinced me, one way or another! 

Go stock!

Joern

3787198.jpg

• Like 1

$785 seem steep to me. I bought a rebuilt 700R4 without returning the core, and the guy put in all the best quality parts and a shift kit and it was $900 out the door.

The 400 would perform better with a shift kit, but it's not necessary, especially for a weekend show car, and all the stock hard parts are more than adequate, whereas the 700 needed a few update parts, especially since I use it in a four-wheel-drive Suburban and I tow heavy loads. I towed both this junk S10 plow truck, and they almost drunk Mercedes a total of 200 miles on Sunday. On the road from 10 a.m. to 1 a.m. I was stopped by the state police at 11 p.m. in Vermont for going too slow on the interstate so, I told him I was peddling as fast as I could

IMG-20180319-WA0025.jpeg

IMG-20180318-WA0116.jpeg

IMG-20180318-WA0093.jpeg

• 10 months later...

Long time with out posting any update or progress on the wagon or the 57 coupe. Been fully occupied at work, family other. Time to post some pictures..

Primer on, lot of works done on frame, suspension, brakes. Went for an upgrade to front disc-brakes and complete VIKING 64 BB full size Buick shocks and coil-overs.    

IMG_1692.JPG

IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1715.JPG

IMG_1741.JPG

IMG_1739.JPG

• 1 month later...

Got hold of a close to correct Delco Remy Voltage Regulator 1119515 4C from EBay, only one month from the original which is dated 4B. will keep the old for possible future restoration. Also got the corrct fuel filter AC Delco GF-96.  Last, new repro FAWN Park and Brake Pad Rubber 

Delco Remy 1119515 A.jpg

Delco Remy 1119515 4C - A.jpg

Delco Remy 1119515 4C - B.jpg

Delco Remy 1119515 4C - C.jpg

Delco Remy 1119515 4C - D.jpg

AC Delco GF-96.jpg

AC Delco GF-96 A.jpg

AC Delco GF-96 B.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Topper1961 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Last for to day, some pictures of the paint coming on to the roof. 3 coats of base and 4 clear. Very shiny and DEEEEP! Will look great when the new chromed roof rack and all the Deluxe side trim comes on. Color seems to fit the car perfect.  Two last pictures for the compares 

IMG_1971.JPG

IMG_1972.JPG

IMG_1973.JPG

DSCF3661blog.jpg

DSCF3663blog.jpg

• Like 3

• Topper1961 changed the title to 1964 Buick LeSabre Estate Wagon KX Code

Thanks guys, appreciate your comments. Had several rounds with my wife, my friend Art and myself before picking this color. It was this or the original Sunburst yellow with a dark brown in the lower area like this one on the attached picture...... 

For my 57 Buick friends, I`m still on and my 66R with the 3 speed stick shift is coming closer to the finish line. Some interior work left, headliner, seats, detailing.. 

full-2.jpg

IMG_1857.JPG

Edited by Topper1961
Correcting pictures (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KongaMan said:

IMHO, the chrome and stainless trim pop a lot more against the dark color.  It really accentuates the lies.

Being a non native speaker, I'm just curious what you mean with your last comment?

"It really accentuates the lies."

Thanks

Joern

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Howdy  how!

Over in Tempe Phonix spending some time with cars. some updated pictures on the wagon and the 57 Coupe. The need the seats, doorpanels done. Material already ready from SMS fabrics. Also need to order a new carpet.  When thats doen it is just some minor work at it will be ready to ship. 

The wagon is soon ready to fire up, the valvecovers came out really nice. All painting is almost complete and the color is very  rich and deep. Think it was a good choice. What we realized as that the parts car I bought has saved me for thousands of dollars in parts and labour. Still have parts for sale - to much to make a list! Still there is a lot to do, amazing was actually how good the rear (third) seatrow backrest came out just after a proper soap and water scrub. Seems like we are able to use most of the interipor from the partscar.  

Here comes some pictures of my cars and some other intersting cars that my buddy Art is working on right now. Most interesting  is that the 63 Bonneville wagon (fully optioned) is more well designed and have way more luxury interior than the Buick. Thought Buick was supposed to at the higher end. 

Joern

20190730_132958.jpg

20190730_133038.jpg

• Like 4

Last thing I did today was to take the VIN tag of the parts car (I collect them). I have heard stories that the factory did hide the spear key underneath them, and voila there it was, and it still work in the doorlock and the glovebox lock, thats BUICK guys.. quality for life! 

20190731_163850.jpg

20190731_163859.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Topper1961 said:

Last thing I did today was to take the VIN tag of the parts car (I collect them). I have heard stories that the factory did hide the spear key underneath them, and voila there it was, and it still work in the doorlock and the glovebox lock, thats BUICK guys.. quality for life! 

20190731_163850.jpg

20190731_163859.jpg

That's crazy! I've never heard of that! And fact that you confirmed such a case?  Mind blown...

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, lancemb said:

That's crazy! I've never heard of that! And fact that you confirmed such a case?  Mind blown...

This. I never heard of such a thing, but there it is. Too cool!

PS: Still in love with this wagon. Can't wait to see it finished!

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments!

Cleaned up the key for fun today, like the great slogan the had on the key!  

YOUR KEY TO GREATER VALUE!

Interesting, but no key under the VIN tag on the KX wagon, might have since it has been bent up some times in the past?

20190801_170721.thumb.jpg.d2ff6cd87ac35ac2eb5541c1e28c9ea8.jpg

Edited by Topper1961
Correcting text (see edit history)

Since I`m here enjoying the burning sun in Tempe AZ, I decide to take a closer look at the California Balck plates that came with the KX wagon. I will restore the better one, and the other just clean, clearcote and have it on the wall in the garage back home. Went to my friends at Metro Plating, Kim and Chuck, and while having a great reunion chat, Kim arranged stripping of the better one. Went and bought some yellow color for the letters. Hope I got the correct one, looked at several forums and most of them lean towards schoolbus yellow or Caterpillar yellow. I picked neither, tried with help of the guys at the paint shop find one as similar as possible based on close to ten pictures. Going to be fun to see if it will look okay. 

Great to have the original licence plate from 1963. Car was registered in December 1963, El Cajun  California.  

20190801_095515.jpg

Edited by Topper1961
Correcting text (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Do anybody  know which month they started with stickers on California Black plates in 64, and did that include a sticker with the month on the left side? I found reproduced stickers on Ebay, question is what color should the months have in 1964 ?

My buddy Art told me that the licence plates where produced in different Prisons in California by the imprisoned! Thereby a possible explanation that the YELLOW color on the plates could vary .

Sticker licence plate.jpg

Edited by Topper1961 (see edit history)

• 9 months later...

Afternoon every one.

Just battled the frt end of my 64 Estate. With the sole use of hand tools..

I put a set of MOOG springs up front and the car came up which is good. Any help on a load + rear set would be appreciated.

BTW I have a good set of 90 Fin drums ( still in spec). Thought they would be bolt on replacements for the 45 Fin drums on the car, as probably every but me knows, the 90 Fin drums have a deeper lip design and they would not fit....

Happy Mother's Day.

EW