1964 Buick LeSabre Estate Wagon KX Code

After a short year searching for a 61 - 62 wagon, this 1964 LeSabre popped up on Stationwagon forum. Seller asked 21.500 or first reasonable offer. After some discussion and phone calls back and forth done by my good friend Art, I got it to a fair price, seller even delivered the car in Tempe AZ from Upland CA. He had already got the car into driving condition, and doing everything right with the right parts as well. Restoration was partly started with some new lenses, new chromed rear bumper which I don't need now since it going to a third seat row car with bumper step. Car was originally announced as one of 32 produced, the correct is one of 56 produced with this options and configuration.

I have already had extreme good help from Sean to decode the VIN code, body plate and the Protect O plate and to get some other data and pictures from Ted Nagel, thanks guys. Some of the data: 64 Lesabre station Wagon with 425 Super Wildcat (KX) Super Turbine 400 and Positive Traction Control.
6K1106134
6 = Series 4600 (LeSabre wagons built on Wildcat platform in 1964 only)
K = 1964 model year
1 = built at Flint, MI (not correct, this was last year with bodies from Ionia mfg Plant)
106134 = sequential number, range was 001001 to 233508 for Flint, MI built full size cars for 1964

02C
STYLE 4635 BODY 4341
TRIM 463 PAINT K-K
ACC.B2 F5 I6 K6 N2 P3 
02C = body build date = February (02) 1964, third week (C)
4635 = body style number
4 = Buick
6 = Wildcat/LeSabre Estate Wagon
35 = 4-door estate wagon, 2-seat
4341 = sequential body number
Trim 463 = Fawn Cloth and Vinyl, available on styles 4635, 4645
Paint code K-K = solid Sunburst Yellow
Accessory (ACC.) option codes:
B2 = Seat Belts-Front Seat, Deluxe (Driver and Passenger)
F5 = Instrument panel lower roll pad
I6 = Soft-Ray Tinted Glass
K6 = Custom Foamtex Padded Seat Cushions
N2 = Air Conditioner
P3 = Custom Bright Exterior Moldings and Roof Drip and Door Window Frame Moldings
U7 = Power Windows

As Sean has mention there is some uncertainty since the car has more option the stamped on the Body Plate, like cornering lights, luggage rack and some other options. This could been installed by the Dealership. For those interested, you could see discussion and pictures on this thread including the parts car I bought, with even more options. like cruise control, third seat row, tilt steering wheel, drivers side remote control mirror, custom interior and 6-way power seat.   

Car was ordered and sold new to Coneen Construction Company by Ballantyne Buick and GMC Trucks. 300 El Cajon Blvd California. Im now looking for the correct Dealership licence plate frame (s) like the one Bruce has posted a picture of in the thread above, so if anyone has one for sale, please PM me. 

Car will be restored by my friend Art in Tempe AZ, so here's some pictures of the car. I will keep you posted as soon as the work on the car starts.

Super Wildcat front left view A.jpg

Super Wildcat front left view.jpg

Super Wildcat interior frontseat and dash.jpg

Super Wildcat interior frontseat, dash and right door.jpg

Super Wildcat rear left view A.jpg

Super Wildcat rear left view B.jpg

Super Wildcat rear left view.jpg

Super Wildcat rear view rust tail gate.jpg

Super Wildcat rear view.jpg

Super Wildcat right rear view.jpg

Super Wildcat.jpg

00808_1I1oA4rn48k_600x450.jpg

00s0s_fnltbn8vo02_600x450.jpg

IMG_1305.JPG

IMG_1306.JPG

IMG_1307.JPG

Edited by Topper1961
Correcting and adding text (see edit history)
  • Like 6

What a nice find -- very complete, highly optioned and solid!  Particularly amazing since most 4-doors and wagons were deemed not particularly desirable and simply thrown away...

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2016 at 2:41 AM, Topper1961 said:

there is some uncertainty since the car has more option the stamped on the Body Plate, like cornering lights, luggage rack and some other options. This could been installed by the Dealership.

The data plates on the cars only reflect the options that were to be installed at a particular body plant.  So, things like tilt wheel, cruise control, cornering lights and other things that were added at final assembly (after this body was married to a chassis and an engine was installed) would not appear on the data plate.  Chances are that the other options that you have on the car are from the factory.  The body plant would build everything from the firewall back, including radio speakers, glass, interior, etc.  If you look at the data plate with this in mind, it will make sense to you.

I would say that the 1 you are refering to is not a 1 but an I for Ionia.  I'm more familiar with the Rivieras and I know that the 63 - 65 had an FB on the plate for Fisher Body (Flint, MI)  the '66 and 67 years had an EU on the data plate for the Euclid, OH plant before being freighted to Flint, MI for final assembly.  That would go along with your statement about where the body was built.  

The picture below is not of a '64, but you'll get an idea of what the body was like in the body plant before being shipped to the final assembly plant.

Image result for buicks bodies off to final assembly

This picture of a Riviera on a "mule" is how they were shipped out of the body plant and received at the final assembly plant.

Image result for riviera body plant

Now for the big question.  Would you consider selling this wagon?  It would be the perfect tow vehicle for my 1964 Thompson Seacoaster Deluxe boat.  

100_4880.JPG

Ed

• Like 3

The car serial number is based on where the chassis was built or where final assembly took place.  Thus the plant code of 1 in the car serial number is correct.  It was the body that was built at Ionia.  In the early 1950's convertible bodies were built at Flint or Linden, NJ and then shipped to the other plants for final assembly.  I've seen several convertibles with bodies built in Linden but with final assembly in South Gate, CA.

• Like 2

The Proteco Plate show an FB 43341.  The FB is the code for the Fisher Body plant in Flint.  That would correspond to the 1 in the chassis number.  The BODY number on the data plate usually indicates the sequential number for bodies out of a particular body plant.

On October 5, 2016 at 9:08 AM, First Born said:

Looks like that thread went dormant three months ago.

Ben

Have been checking for updates, Let's hope it doesn't go dormant here. 

Nice trailer too Joern, yours?

The FB code on the POP is a mistake, as I noted in my POP decode (http://forums.aaca.org/topic/235806-wagon-mania-64-lesabre-wagon/?page=2#comment-1500329), because the body was built by Ionia and not Flint.  Ionia built the wagon bodies for Buick from 1949 to 1964 and never used a plant code.  If you look at the actual body tag you will see that it does not have a plant code.

Also the body number is 4334 and not 43341 as there is a space between the body number and the last digit if you look at the actual body tag.  For 1964 and earlier, the body number is related to model production at the plant.  For example, for the 1964 Riviera the body number ran from 1 to 37,658 since all were built at Flint.  The production of 1964 4635 was 6,517 so the body number would not exceed that since all were built at the same plant.

If you look at other Ionia body tags from 1959 to 1964 you will see there is always a space after the body number followed by a single digit.  For comparison, if you look at a 1967 Riviera body tag, it shows the body was built a Euclid, OH and then shipped to Flint for final assembly as indicated by the F in the upper right corner of the tag.  If you look at a body tag from an early '50s convertible you will see the body plant code shows Flint (G) or Linden (BL) and that there is a number in the lower left corner that indicates the plant the body was shipped to for final assembly (which would match the plant code in the car serial number).  Ionia did something similar for 1957-1964.  For 1957-1958 the plant code was stamped on the model number line.  For 1959-1964 the plant code was stamped after the body number.  This plant code represents the plant the body was shipped to for final assembly, in this case 1 for Flint.

1952 Buick Trim Tag 12.jpg

1958 Buick Trim Tag 22b.jpg

1960 Buick Trim Tag 01.jpg

1960 Buick Trim Tag 18.jpg

1960 Buick Trim Tag 38.jpg

1962 Buick Trim Tag 34.jpg

1964 Buick Trim Tag 105.jpg

1964 Buick Trim Tag 106.jpg

1964 Buick Trim Tag 107.jpg

1967 Buick Trim Tag 135.JPG

• Like 1
7 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Have been checking for updates, Let's hope it doesn't go dormant here. 

Nice trailer too Joern, yours?

Yes it's a nice trailer, unfortunately not mine but the seller.

On 5.10.2016 at 3:44 AM, RivNut said:

The data plates on the cars only reflect the options that were to be installed at a particular body plant.  So, things like tilt wheel, cruise control, cornering lights and other things that were added at final assembly (after this body was married to a chassis and an engine was installed) would not appear on the data plate.  Chances are that the other options that you have on the car are from the factory.  The body plant would build everything from the firewall back, including radio speakers, glass, interior, etc.  If you look at the data plate with this in mind, it will make sense to you.

I would say that the 1 you are refering to is not a 1 but an I for Ionia.  I'm more familiar with the Rivieras and I know that the 63 - 65 had an FB on the plate for Fisher Body (Flint, MI)  the '66 and 67 years had an EU on the data plate for the Euclid, OH plant before being freighted to Flint, MI for final assembly.  That would go along with your statement about where the body was built.  

The picture below is not of a '64, but you'll get an idea of what the body was like in the body plant before being shipped to the final assembly plant.

Image result for buicks bodies off to final assembly

This picture of a Riviera on a "mule" is how they were shipped out of the body plant and received at the final assembly plant.

Image result for riviera body plant

Now for the big question.  Would you consider selling this wagon?  It would be the perfect tow vehicle for my 1964 Thompson Seacoaster Deluxe boat.  

100_4880.JPG

Ed

Sort Ed, not for sale, I will use it for the same purpose and as a Go Kart hauler for my vintage Rupp Dart A Bone's...

Perfect car for both. There has been another Black/silver with third seat row for sake in AZ. 

Thanks

Joern

1 minute ago, Topper1961 said:

Sort Ed, not for sale, I will use it for the same purpose and as a Go Kart hauler for my vintage Rupp Dart A Bone's...

Perfect car for both. There has been another Black/silver with third seat row for sake in AZ. 

Thanks

Joern

Is that a Craigslist listing?  If not, where can I find some details.

Thanks, Ed

The verbiage accompanying the red one talks about "the seller added comments in December 2014."  ??????  Is it even still for sale or has it not sold in two years?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Small update on the 64 Lesabre Wagon!

Just been over in Tempe Phoenix for a work vacation. Spent a couple of days off, and took a "short" detour via Atlanta before getting to some meetings in Norfolk VA. Restoration will kick off in a month or two at my friend Art shop. In the mean time I now got a pretty good overview of what is missing or need to replaced (visible) . Hardest to find will be the cornering light lenses. Got one NOS couple of months ago. Been hunting and collected parts, still missing one remote control mirror, one cornering light lens. Pictures shows some of the parts I have got my hands on, including correct jack, power vent windows, four note horn etc. 

Also came across a guy (James Kehr) with a lot of 64 Buick parts, I have bought a number of reproduction, NOS and used parts from him. I have experienced James as a great guy and very reasonable to deal with. Very happy with the quality and service. He is located in Sellerville PA. http://www.bestoffercounts.com/site/ 

Will have another trip across the Atlantic to DC in September, hopes again to detour to Tempe and get the interior out of both cars.  

Question just now is exterior color and what interior to choose, Deluxe or Western style, have one of each in from good (Deluxe) to decent condition (Western style).  Exterior color leaning towards Teal.  Any opinions? 

PS! Anyone with experience on how to repair, or produce lenses by using a 3D printer? 

Will try to keep you posted!  

1964 Buick Adjustment Guide.jpg

Buick Lesabre Grill emblem Centre ring.jpg

Buick Lesabre Grill emblem Tri shields.jpg

Buick Lesabre Grill emblem.jpg

Buick Lesabre Jack complete with tire iron etc.jpg

Buick Lesabre Rear Speaker Grill.jpg

Four note horn.jpg

Remote control mirror A.jpg

Remote control mirror C.jpg

Remote control mirror.jpg

Remote vent window  L R motor A.jpg

Remote vent window  L R motor B.jpg

Remote vent window  L R motor C.jpg

Remote vent window  L R motor D.jpg

Remote vent window  L R motor.jpg

Remote vent window complete set.jpg

Remote vent window complete switches contact rear.jpg

Remote vent window complete switches.jpg

Remote vent window complete wiring.jpg

s-l64.jpg

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l500 (2).jpg

s-l500.jpg

00i0i_3DoT3zTyn51_600x450.jpg

882.JPG

Edited by Topper1961
Adding and correcting text (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • 5 months later...

Buick supporters....

The wagon is finally in the shop to my friend Art in Tempe AZ. Been stored in the backyard to Ken, the owner and builder of the 54 Wildcat II recreation. So it's been in good company. 

Still collecting some parts and first priority will be the search for new cornering light lenses...have one NOS

Color will be the original KK solid Sunburst Yellow. Perhaps Cordovan metallic under the trim.

Interiour, still need some opinons from you guys if it will be brown or the western style in fawn from my partscar

A lot of parts, seems like engine and transmission never pulled before.

I'l keep you posted!

Joern

IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_1552.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1551.JPG

IMG_1553-1.JPG

IMG_1554.JPG

IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_1550.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks John!

And your comment is precise, "sweet" when finished...will take some time and hopefully it will be a great Buick again. Point is to enjoy the good Buick time when restoring and do it right.

Save a Buick Longroof and get some smiles when it's done:)

Cheers 

Joern

90c77961fea0fac7e9eacf732d4d47ca--christmas-past-christmas-cards.jpg

• Like 3

Last move before Christmas.

Interesting comment from RivNut and confirmed by Art. It is a California car with some special emission arrangments, pics above and notice i.e. the spark plug looms..

Have a Great Buick Christmas all of you!

IMG_1558.JPG

Edited by Topper1961 (see edit history)
  • 1 month later...

Early Christmas Eve!

In my search for a NOS Cornering Light Lens, I had to make a detour back to my home country (Norway & TomPett) for a valid part source, back to US and luckily Glenn C had a complete one. Strange route to go for the find itself, but nevertheless perfect. Thank God that somebody is foresighted enough to collect and hold on this valuable parts for us Buick owners. So - sometimes it really pays off to stubborn as Billy The Goat..............

The Guide-Matic will soon be on its way to John Oldenburg for full restoration, and at very the moment I am reading up on everything about the Electro-Cruise. Got hold of a correct NOS reset kit for it as well. 

The TH 400 is already delivered to the transmission guy, so things has started to move. 

This 64 wagons built on the Wildcat platform with a power full 425 Super Wildcat engine had only single exhaust system, any logical reason? Looking at the frame and undercarriage I cant clearly figure out why. anyone?  

Thanks for looking!

Cornering light Complete Right side.jpg

Kit Electro-Cruise reset.JPG

Edited by Topper1961
correcting and adding text (see edit history)

This wasn't the only powerful car to have single exhaust, Cadillac was doing this by 1966 or 67. In 1968 they had a brand new high performance 472 V8, and one muffler.

My 1968 Olds 98 455 Rocket 88 high compression is also single exhaust. My 1965 Grand Prix 389 4 Bbl has the optional dual exhaust.

I guess GM wanted to give one more option to make extra money, and only one muffler to rust out?

If you choose to go dual exhaust, choose the system very carefully based on previous owners experience. Sometimes the pipes are bent in a less-than-perfect fashion, my Grand Prix is a good example. The guy paid a custom muffler shop $900, and he could have bought the most perfect bent system, made by computer for $600. So now I look at sagging pipes that are stretching my beautiful original rubber exhaust hangers.

Edited by CORVAIRWILD (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I would then guess the effect and output on the rear wheels was the same. So it was more about the "look, trend, image" what ever, and a extra option and income for GM in the end. Make sence.

If you're thinking of replacing the system, I'd go for the dual exhaust.  Less restrictive.

Except for special orders, the 1964 Lesabre came with the 185 hp 300 cubic inch V8.  No need for dual exhaust with that engine.  It would have been ineffective cost wise to have made a special exhaust for such a rare car so the single exhaust was used.

When Buick put your power plant in the 1965 Riviera, one of the items that went with it was a larger 2-1/4" diameter exhaust system with bends that were more gentle.  You might as well let your engine breathe to its potential.  

11 hours ago, RivNut said:

If you're thinking of replacing the system, I'd go for the dual exhaust.  Less restrictive.

Except for special orders, the 1964 Lesabre came with the 185 hp 300 cubic inch V8.  No need for dual exhaust with that engine.  It would have been ineffective cost wise to have made a special exhaust for such a rare car so the single exhaust was used.

When Buick put your power plant in the 1965 Riviera, one of the items that went with it was a larger 2-1/4" diameter exhaust system with bends that were more gentle.  You might as well let your engine breathe to its potential.  

Just buy the 64 Wildcat duals.  These wagons are on a 46000 chassis, not the LeSabre's.  

I put the single exhaust on mine, just cause I'm a crazy person.  Waldron's :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

When I was looking for a hard to find part for our 1985 LaSabre limited CE  I was told to contact Barry at Sonic motors Fenton Michigan.

I have been to his place on Hickory Ridge road and he has several buildings of new GM stock from places going out of business or cleaning out old stock from their parts bins.

I have lost the phone number i had but he is on face book. Might give him a look for that hard to find part.

https://www.facebook.com/Sonic-Motors-Inc-805988552801862/

Nice wagon would to love to see it finished.

:D     Al

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Ted!

Art is working on the wagon with a nice pace, I on the other hand suffering from not being there with some tools in my hands. Not been over in Tempe since July, so I follow from a "long distance" and try to get hold of some of the parts we need as we go along. Most happy with the NOS Cornering Light and the hub caps. Dissent price thinking of quality and how hard some of this parts is to get hold of. 

Parts car came and has been very handy so far, both for options and various parts. Unfortunately no roof rack on it, has been removed long time ago together with engine and transmission. I love your idea of replacing the tubes with polished stainless steel, should be possible. There has be to some companies that can make the parts on the original measures. See Steve`s Technic to get it apart...    

The main KX car has no big surprises, a lot of pinhole and some smaller rust-holes that need patching. Lower tailgate rusted out on both cars, unless we find a good used one the lower end has to be made from scratch.      

Art is able to save and rescue the original fiberboard headliner panels. When the time comes he will wet them down, roll them and tie them to dry to regain their shape.  He did that years ago on his Caballero.  We'll also have enough good plastic strips between the two cars to do one and maybe have one or two left over. I have not forgotten that you might need some parts. PM me if want to get in touch with me and Art about that. 

My 57 Century 66R is also in the last finish phase, Old School with 3 speed stick on the floor, 57 SUN Tachometer, Chrome reverse wheels, California rake style, 59 Cadillac Sombrero chrome air-cleaner to dress it up. Also note the fully working "Door Flippers" old trick copied from Roadmaster and super

Some pictures of the rusty parts car and the KX 64 progress and one of the 57 - enjoy!

Thanks for looking

Joern

IMG_1589.thumb.JPG.529291d9627ccb76c228ade39ae93846.JPGIMG_1581.thumb.JPG.db7f2436ec906a954f5a94c5ea9dedbc.JPGIMG_1582.thumb.JPG.a0c69159151da3e9eec337433b8255be.JPGIMG_1579.thumb.JPG.68729eeb9793798b1aa348e9e46df334.JPGIMG_1580.thumb.JPG.2930685fc0383898a989ca34b2002686.JPGIMG_1584.thumb.JPG.afb5aa4ba6afe4794a9344cd85621ec6.JPGIMG_1586.thumb.JPG.ebeb02cc20c761c5d9278bb2fb2be1e0.JPGIMG_1595.thumb.JPG.475106babbd9f879b325e7a549f66c9d.JPGIMG_1596.thumb.JPG.5629f05184338dce0a5a855df77cad2e.JPGIMG_1597.thumb.JPG.e70761f96b4ed5bc19f1fc114d9fb5f8.JPGIMG_1598.thumb.JPG.d2a641813cc19a16c5d7c69c75aad8fa.JPGIMG_1588.thumb.JPG.433d8ca3f6c740aeefa7f88e83df5f27.JPGIMG_1587.thumb.JPG.93338bc2e18c48ea5bc17a492affdd59.JPGIMG_1566.thumb.JPG.0c67a7f5eec261a66450e383b5da004b.JPG

IMG_1583.JPG

IMG_1577.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

Edited by Topper1961
Adding and correcting text, removed duplicating pictures (see edit history)
  • Topper1961 changed the title to 1964 Buick LeSabre Estate Wagon KX Code