that wasn't too bad

38Buick 80C

10 minutes ago, xp-300 said:

Looks great, so where did you buy the material and how did you do it?

Willie turned me on to Bob Drake Ford Reproductions for the material. I'll do a tech tip in TTII (Bugle too if Pete wants it) shortly I took photos as I went, but the credit for the how to goes to Mike (Buick5563) and a thread here from a couple 4-5 years ago.

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

Thanks to Pete for publishing my tech tip on this subject in the Jan '17 Bugle. I hope everyone finds it easy to follow. 

Once again a thank you to Mike and Willie as well as I totally followed their lead and documented as I went with a tech tip article in mind.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, MrEarl said:

I see two thicknesses available in BD catalog 1/8 and 3/32. I assume to use the thinner in order to squeeze between the inner and outer trunk metals? 

Actually what you see in the photo is the 1/8th thick. I don't recall why I chose the thicker one, perhaps I wasn't paying attention or didn't realize there were two options, but based on my experience the thinner would have been a little easier to work with (cutting it) and as you pointed out for tucking it in, though I doubt 1/32 makes THAT much difference in the grand scheme of things.

Apologies for the delayed response I was traveling and wanted to come home and see what I actually bought.

Thank you Adam, Dave and Lamar for the kind words.

• Like 1