1923 Buick 23-45 Dallas TX craigslist

I have been negotiating on a 1923-55 that still needs quite a bit to get it back on the road. Not running and on the road since 2005. Poor vinyl upholstery and no top. The craigslist ad has expired. Unfortunately the car is in Arizona and I am in PA. My son who drives a lowboy Tractor Trailer and makes deliveries to the copper mines near Phoenix. He said he can save me some cost on delivery but only one of the cars at a time as not to loose payment for his load. Last week he was able to stop and look the car over. Upon his recommendation I gave an offer on it including a totally disassembled 1922 parts car of which model the owner does not know. They want the parts car gone also so that would be another trip for my son. Looking like well over $1000 in fuel for 2 trips. My son felt that we were the only ones interested at this time. The original ad price was $15,000. I have contacted him regularly for over a month and it seems that they are still not willing to take any less.

1 hour ago, dibarlaw said:

I have contacted him regularly for over a month and it seems that they are still not willing to take any less.

Larry,

Let the seller sit and think about it for several months. I expect you really are the only prospective buyer. The seller will start lowering the price after they sit for several months with no prospects. So many of these 1920s car owners think they are sitting on big bucks, but they aren't! It's the Barrett-Jackson effect that makes them think it is so valuable. Once they realize that there is very little demand for 1920s cars, especially ones that don't run, they may change their minds. Wait him out!!! One month is nothing.

Pete

• Like 1

I just received a reply from the owner of the 1923-55 saying that it has been sold. Now I have cheapskate's remorse. It will be interesting if I hear from the new owner as I usually ask for my contact information forwarded to them if they need any help finding parts or services. Of the 6 cars I made offers on in the last 5 years 3 were sold and no contact. 3 are still not sold. Now I must shake this off and get to work on my 1925-25 so I can get it to Allentown!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Buyer's remorse. Cure: Sell it, you will probably make a few bucks. It is really hard to suffer a 100% loss, anyway.

Seller's remorse. Cure: Just slide your hand in your pocket and wrap your fingers around the hundred dollar bills. It makes the hurt go away and brings a smile.

Cheapskate's Remorse:No cure:  Indelibly etched forever, recurring, and haunting thoughts in lonely moments.

Bernie

I haven't seen it in person, but it turns out that the seller is a current restoration customer of mine. His  '38 Special is in my shop for an engine rebuild. I did not know he was the seller of this '23 until he offered to sell it to me for $3,000 last week. As I said, somebody needs to buy this '23. I have too many projects and not enough space.

Pete

• Like 1

Not nearly as nice as NE Ohio....DesMoines puts me quite far off route, and all the way across I-90 with an empty trailer bouncing behind me. I really don't think I could make DesMoines work, sorry.

One question for anyone - does the top portion of the windshield fold down?  Not sure I like the thought of 65mph for a long trip on that windshield....

2 hours ago, Brian_Heil said:

Whoever buys this, I'm available to be your new-bestest-friend to help answer all your questions and get it on the road!

I have been watching this and I sure would like to become your new-bestest-friend Brian, but at my age and the projects I have ahead of this potential one, well, I would likely be gone to the Great Buick Highway in the sky before I would need your help.

6 hours ago, MrEarl said:

I have been watching this and I sure would like to become your new-bestest-friend Brian, but at my age and the projects I have ahead of this potential one, well, I would likely be gone to the Great Buick Highway in the sky before I would need your help.

And then you,could pass it on to one of your adopted Buick sons B):rolleyes:

About the windshield folding. 

Each half of the windshield (upper and lower) rotate and lock down with two thumb screws each, so you can have each half swing 90 degrees out of the way parallel to the ground line and let the metal frame be the leading edge and the glass trail and have very little wind resistance and chance for damage.  Or remove all together as Larry states with not too much work.

And don't worry about top irons, sockets and top header if they get sold.  The car will just get that much cheaper without these parts (as you cry-a-river to the seller).  But, the parts or close enough parts, are out there to be had cheap along with bows that can be ordered and we can measure my linkage to get the correct lengths and geometry.