new 1956 Super owner

ddiaz396

Last two days I was cleaning gunk and sludge from engine, removed old gasket and finished welding the valley cover. Primed fan, fan pulley and water pump and tomorrow I will finish with the paint.....getting close to put everything back together. I was debating what to use with the gasket (Water pump, thermostat,valve cover, valley cover) High temperature RTV or gasket  spray adhesive......after looking in Youtube I decided to go with the gasket spray adhesive. Any suggestions?

w1.jpg

w3.jpg

w4.jpg

w5.jpg

• Like 2

Everything was going smooth until I decided to check the exhaust manifold heat control valve ........it was frozen!! I didn't know if was closed or open, so I removed the manifold (now I will paint them)and it didn't budge (Used the torch, oil ,etc,,,nothing)so I use the manifold from my spare car.

w13.jpg

w11.jpg

w14.jpg

w10.jpg

w12.jpg

• Like 1

If it was stuck open, it's better than being stuck closed. 

I ripped my butterfly out because mine was also frozen and the counter weight turned freely. It's there to heat the engine and carb until warm up. I run my car all year round and even in the winter up here in Washington, I didn't notice any changes. I'm pretty sure it has to do with winter blend fuel, but someone else can chime in. I also plugged the heat track in the intake manifold with 7/16 all thread, as others have done. 

• Like 1

May I ask for a picture?  Can you post a picture of the manifold with the frozen valve, looking at the orientation of the slot that the outer spring goes into?  I am just trying to figure out the orientation of the slot when the valve is fully open.

No, mine is free.  Too free.  There is supposed to be a stop so the valve cannot go too far.  Mine is missing.  So my valve can float freely.  The problem I have: my car makes a clicking noise under inconsistent circumstances.  Sometimes under power, sometimes backing off to slow down.  I have run the diagnostics on everything I can think of to find this intermittent click.  What I want to do is eliminate this valve rotating while under way.  I just did not know what orientation the shaft had to be in for the valve to be open, and I did not want to wire the valve in the closed position.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Brake time!!! Since I removed the manifold for painting, I decided to replace the brakes components(Clean power master cylinder, wheel cylinders{rear and front}, turn the drums, the three brake hoses, clean and grease front wheel bearings and brake shoes. 1956 Buick lovers notice a rare sight.......two 1956 master cylinders!!!! The 3 car dosn't have the original master cylinder, somebody replace for some kind of dual power cylinder (I need to look into it!!)

w26.jpg

w24.jpg

w23.jpg

w22.jpg

w25.jpg

the one from my car is the black one.......the other one is from my "parts" car
1956 Buick Special (green and white) the converted is from the white 1956 Super hardtop (next in line to be restore). The one in the back of the white Buick it s a 1950 Hudson third in restoration line.

IMG_20160707_120314573_HDR3.jpg

graciela 258.JPG

w27.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

long time....

.......finally!!! after 4 months working(on and off) the car started today!!! runs great(after some adjustments)Brakes done(new lines, all connectors, power brake,new wheel cylinders,Etc)new engine gasket(all of them!!)new fuel tank, new fuel lines, oil pump screen filter, transmission screen pump filter, power steering hose)...very happy!! but (Always something) I don't have reverse......( the service manual book talks about adjusting bands or servo not working) I don't know what to do......I'm thinking about getting a rebuild transmission ($1500 shipping and core include) or removing one of the two spare Dynaflow that I have and replace it(anybody in Fl that works with dynaflow transmissions?)

motor.jpg

motor_5.jpg

motor2.jpg

motor3.jpg

motot_4.jpg

Unfortunally transmission needs to be remove.......after adjusting the linkage, reverse won't work....any tips pulling transmission down? I know rear have to move back about 4 inches....any tips how to? raise the back of the car, loose brake, e. brake and shocks and then use a come along? Daniel

Disconnect the flex line, disconnect rear shocks and the rear springs at the bottom.  Jack car up at the sides a little and roll the rear axle backawards.  Lift the rear as needed to clear the tires. Alternately, if you have a smooth surface to park the car, remove the rear tires and support axle on a rolling floor jack. Then the other things mentioned above and pull the rear axle back while on the floor jack. 

Might as well pull the rear axle out from under the car while you're in there.  A good opportunity to clean, paint, and to grease the splines on the driveshaft to pinion connection.

• Like 3

Yes John, I cleaned it myself (using oven cleaner) the second one was remove yesterday......the second spare car is in bad shape and it was a nasty job!!! This is the way I finished!! .Today I will start disconnecting things in the car I'm restoring so I can pull down the transmission that it's not working.....so I will have a total of three dynaflow transmission.....but I'm thinking in rebuild the original transmission and later on restore one of the two spare transmission to keep as a back up.The transmission in the picture attached is the one is coming down. Daniel

sucio.jpg

sucio 5.jpg

buick.jpg

transmission.jpg

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Nice jack stands.:o.................Bob

Daniel 

please don't work under your cars with the cinder blocks. I have seen these crumble and loads shift.  I would hate to imagine being trapped or crushed under a Buick.  

If I can find them, I will post pictures for you of when I changed out my tranny on my 56'

Saludos 

Matt

• Like 1

Yes, I know!!!! but the car was in a shed with sand floor.....very difficult place. What you don't see is I have 6 jack stands and a car jack holding the car.....but believe me...I was very scare!!! NEVER work in this condition....but this time was the only way....but all of you are right....never again. I started to remove the rear axel in my car(the one Im restoring with the faulty transmission,{ will not go in reverse}). The shocks were "gone", the bottom bolts were easy to removed(used a air ratchet)but I encounter a challenge with the top bolt(used the torch) and managed to loosed it but it will not come out (no enough space) I will have to remove the holdind bracket (two small bolts). Next will be the spring bolts(will remove the spring to sandblaste and paint) I been usin Blaster BP penetrating oil for two days now.....they look very "challenging" ...they will not come out easy..... 

spring.jpg

spring1.jpg

shock_top.jpg

shock_top1.jpg

trans2.jpg

trans1.jpg

trans3.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks John! now the difficult part start.......I'm thinking about pulling the rear axel all the way to service it(just clean and paint).I found a leak at the end of the torque tube...the seal may be compromise. I will be sandblasting and painting the springs and replacing the shocks, also using some Por 15 in the undercarriage  over the shocks area. Daniel

• Like 1

The seal is definitely compromised at the front of the torque tube. Buy a "front torque tube seal" from Bob's or Cars when you buy your other parts. I would definitely change the inner and outer axle seals as well as lubing your axle bearings. If the rear end was not noisy, that is the only service I would recommend.

• Like 4

Springs definitely can sag after 60 years. I have used these guys several times. Their product is good and accurate, as well as being relatively inexpensive. https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

In my opinion, you may want to order them slightly lower if you like the way your cars sits now (with the sag). The car will be higher with new springs.

I would just buy any quality shock absorber. You are fortunate that 1956 had tube shocks already and you don't have to get lever action shocks rebuilt. I'm not saying anything about the ride difference, merely that replacement tube shocks are cheaper than a rebuild situation.

Lastly, I would buy from Bobs Automobilia for the rear end parts. The last rear seals I bought from Cars weren't right.

• Like 5

Daniel, concrete block pillars hold up buildings, but when laid on their sides or on end they loose their structural integrity and as pointed out will collapse. If you do have to use them, just ensure they are laid with their walls vertical and tops level and use a 2x8 on top to spread the load. I also appreciate what you're saying about sand and dirt, jack stands on dirt can be dangerous also, so I use squares of 3/4" plywood under the jack stands in that case. Also keep the car level as possible. 

Great work you're doing here, enjoying following it and learning a lot. Thanks for sharing with us. ?

• Like 7

I never will use concrete blocks again.....I'm learning myself....with the help of great people in this forum....I could't do this alone, my expertise is very limited...just the guidance and knowledge of very nice gentlemen in this site encourages me to try it (also $$$$ that I dont have to pay somebody). Now the hard part began and I have some questions

1- How do I reach the bolts in the bell housing(specially in the top)? using a universal socket and extension bars from the bottom of the car ?1/2 or 3/4 inch? in which order do I loosen them?

2-Do I need to remove the starter ?

3- do I need to drain the torque converter or can I remove the transmission like that?

4-remove the flywheel cover to loosen 3 bolts that attached the converter to the engine(flywheel)?

I will pull the rear axel with the torque tube first and then  loosen the bolts in the transmission. Any other tips or suggestions will be appreciated, thanks in advance, Daniel

Daniel, I figure you already have the car jacked up so this is kinda late, but I would recommend removing the top  bolt on each side of the engine from under the hood, not under the car. Then I would jack the car and drain the trans oil pan while removing the rear axle.

I would pull the starter, but some will probably disagree.

After unbolting the three flywheel to converter bolts, and supporting the rear of the engine and placing your trans jack,  then I would assess your access to the other 4 trans to engine bolts.  From under the car I would remove the hardest to reach first, and work my way to the easiest to reach.  Chances are the trans will not just fall back because of the locator pins it's resting on. And I might consider loosening the last two bolts while leveraging the trans off of the locator pins.  That way it is less likely to slip rearwards and fall of the trans jack.  And once it is clear of the pins then it should be an easy drop to the floor.

Of course you already dropped two of them so you may not need any of this information.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buick5563 said:

I use these from the top side to remove those bolts. They are really hard to get to from below the car.

IMG_0792.JPG

Or if you are less flexible like me, use a 5/8 impact universal socket with looooong extensions.  Remove the lowest bolts last while supporting the the engine and transmission...unless you jack up the engine and/or transmission the top will stay together from normal weight.

• Like 2

I just purchased this.....any good???

Buick Dynaflow Torque Ball Repair STOP LEAK Seal Kit & Retainer 1953-60
Buick Dynaflow Torque Ball Repair STOP LEAK Seal Kit & Retainer 1953-60
$93.60
$104.00
Qty: 
12345678910+
Select a shipping service for Buick Dynaflow Torque Ball Repair STOP LEAK Seal Kit & Retainer 1953-60
USPS Priority Mail Legal Flat Rate Envelope
Est. delivery: Fri, Feb. 03FAST 'N FREE
Free
  • Like 1

Ok....done!! I managed to separate the torque tube from the transmission (today I will remove the rear axel all the way, to clean and paint it) also started to remove the panhard bar and bracket for sandblast and paint (bushed seems to be ok). Yesterday I ordered  Buick Dynaflow Torque Ball Repair STOP LEAK Seal Kit & Retainer 1953-60 and a front seal (found a thread about how to replace front seal removing the torque convertor....

How to: 1956 Dynaflow Torque Converter Reassembly

Started by 1956century, November 16, 2016

How difficult it will be? needs special tools? I will start to plan for the removal of the transmission(thanks for all the tips and advice!!! JohnD1956 ,buick5563, old-tank, MrEarl, jackofalltrades70, everybody!!! you really know about Buick's.....I could't do it without your help, Daniel

PS i do have those wrenches but mine are Crasftman...

axel.jpg

torque_tube_1.jpg

torque_tube.jpg

trans8.jpg