1918 chalmers touring 30 for sale

Guest Brow

I have a 1918 Chalmers touring model 30 in the original paint and condition it was running but the fuel vacuum canister started leaking. I would like to sell this car but have no idea of its value as I can not find a 1918 that sold for an example. The best I can tell it's worth somewhere between 25 - 60,000 or more from what I can see prior years have sold for .lots of brass on this car any interest or information would be greatly appreciated and I would listen to any fair offer this car is located outside Wilmington Ohio

Edited by Brow
Added information (see edit history)

I will be heading out to the storage tomorrow and we'll get lots of photos and I'll post them as soon as possible

Prewar cars are normally up to 1942. ( WWII )

Look at cars built around 1918 that sold new in about the same price range. Look at Buicks, Oldsmobiles etc.in about the same condition to get a ballpark price. Here again it is what someone is willing to pay

Thank you for the recommendation I kind of did that for the ballpark I got already which accounts for the large dollar spread it seems like desirability of model affected the values doing it that way. I did find one 1918 5-seater Chalmers that was very rough did not run in need of complete restoration and sold for 7,900 in 2013

Brow, your Chalmers is an interesting car from an era

that currently is underappreciated.  Cars up through 1915

are supported by the Horseless Carriage Club of America;

cars of 1916 and up (like the one I own) were popular

decades ago, but don't have nearly the following today.

One knowledgeable person I know calls cars from 1916 to

circa 1927 as "dark era" cars for that reason.

May you sell it to a good home, to a person who will appreciate it

and put it on the road!  Such hobbyists may not number in the thousands,

but they are out there.  Advertising it in the website of the Horseless Carriage Club

(even though it's not pre-1916) may be the best place to reach

the early-car aficionados.

I must apologize to anybody who's time I may have wasted  the car belongs to a 90 year old friend of mine I told her I'd help him find a value sell it he hadn't seen it in years  I didn't know he had it at all he thought it had brass on it and it does not Here Are some photos there is a hairline crack on top of the fuel vacuum tank if not for that it would run and drive I have been told it appears to me to be all original right down to the paint I also put some more pictures a few post back

20160628_105621.jpg

20160628_105522.jpg

20160628_105201.jpg

20160628_105053.jpg

20160628_105122.jpg

20160628_105542.jpg

Edited by Brow
Edit pictures (see edit history)

I sent you a private message with a little more information.

By the way, the website of the Horseless Carriage Club of America

is www.hcca.org .  Your car will get a lot of visibility there, because

there may be only 20 to 30 photo ads--all of early cars--and their

viewers specialize in early cars.

You undoubtedly know Hemmings Motor News, still the foremost

place to advertise collectible cars.  They have a website www.hemmings.com ,

which parallels the magazine and lists over 20,000 cars for sale.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Recently a friend bought a 1915 HCCA Chalmers touring for very little money. Under 15k as memory serves me, a running and driving car that looked good from 20 feet. Ed

Thanks for that info but I have found a huge difference in the pricing after 1916 ones like yours are the ones that have. For everybody that wanted pictures I went back and edited them into two of the Old Post I couldn't seem to get them to upload any other way

I know people hesitate to talk money, but I'll throw something out.  Chalmers was a good car, and probably a slight cut above some models of Buick, definitely better than Ford and Chevrolet, but not anywhere close to the quality of the bigger cars.

Someone mentions dark era, I call it the bastard years, from 1916 to 1925, when a lot of very good and great cars were built, but it's hard to generate interest for them.

It's an old restoration in so-so condition, not as desirable as a pre-1916 car eligible for HCCA events, and it just falls in those years where interest is marginal.

Well, in writing the post, here it is on Craigslist for $15K.  I'd say that's at least in a reasonable ballpark to start....

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/5647284910.html 

LOL that is the car they told me this morning that since they had to drag it out for me that they went ahead and took pictures and put it on Craigslist and guessed at a price.

BROW, that's not a bad guess at a price, I'd bet in a perfect world, running and cleaned up, that car wouldn't bring more than 18-20K, and that's if someone wanted it badly...so there's no LOL in my mind...just reality...

6 hours ago, Brow said:

Thanks for that info but I have found a huge difference in the pricing after 1916 ones like yours are the ones that have. ...

Never look, Brow, at others' asking prices--sometimes they

are so optimistic that they are almost irrelevant.

Now that I saw the pictures, I was estimating $15,000--

before I read someone else's estimate above of the same thing.

Since it's not running, maybe it is valued a bit less, even.

You are right that there can be a substantial difference in pricing

between pre-1916 cars and 1916-and-up cars.  The 1916 and up

are currently less desirable--a shame, but reality--and worth less.

The hobby can be affordable, and this is a perfect example of that potential.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

That was when I was using 1910 and 1914 examples which I now know do not apply. After receiving insight from several people I'm in agreeance that it's in the 12000 to $14,000 range and that would depend on how bad someone wants that car. Although having looked it over now myself I think $10,000 to $12,000 would make it a good deal

• 4 years later...