The fuse is good...right?

old-tank

Lost the function of brake lights and turn signals on one of my 55's recently.

Pulled the fuse and it looked good.  The fuse is good...right?

Tested it with ohm meter and there was continuity.  The fuse is good...right?

Put it back in and voltmeter tested 12v on both ends of the fuse.  The fuse is good...right?

Pulled the fuse and cleaned the fuse holder and installed a new fuse.  Still no function.

Went back to the house and cracked a Shiner Bock, studied the service manual wiring diagrams and explanations and was more confused than ever.

I was about the pull the 9 wires on the fuse block that go to the turn signal switch and and connect a spare switch for testing purposes when I decided to jump across the fuse...everything worked!

Put in a used fuse from a crusty old fuse block and everything is working.

Tested the 'new' fuse (source:  Pacific rim) and there was no continuity.

Mike showed me how to take care of items that don't work:  http://www.buickrestorer.com/midtownrestorations/mikeyresto/killgun.mov

Edited by old-tank (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Link wouldn't open but I can tell you how I fixed a lawn mower I had that kept stalling while I was trying to mow. I put it back of the house, reved it to full throttle and shot it in the head with my Sako 270 Winchester and threw the body in the woods. Problem solved..........Bob.

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Link wouldn't open but I can tell you how I fixed a lawn mower I had that kept stalling while I was trying to mow. I put it back of the house, reved it to full throttle and shot it in the head with my Sako 270 Winchester and threw the body in the woods. Problem solved..........Bob.

I like your method...link should work now.

• Like 1

Slightly off subject but have you noticed since Shiner became available outside of Texas, it is often on the Premium beer list at resturants....whats with that.

I thought it ran out of the crack in the rocks down in Shiner TX and then they bottled it.    It is good beer but .......

• Like 1

50 years ago it was cheap and drank only by local farmers and broke college kids.  Then it became a cult beer (cult = $$$$) and is now priced with the imports.  The only beer back then that was cheaper were some of the rot-gut Mexican beers and now even those are cult/import priced.

• Like 1

Shiner is sold up here in the good'ole state of MD.  I do like the taste of most of their selections.  The Shiner Christmas brew not so much.  The main reason other than taste is Shiner is good'ole made in the USA beer.  Just imported from TX.    :)       I like supporting the company.  I like their beer.  I got a free Shiner button.

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

If you can get it locally try Yuengling Lager. America's oldest brewery (1829), made right down the road from me. We considerate it the local swill but elsewhere they price it like an import. It is a pretty good beer..................Bob

• Like 1

Back to the fuse. I have had this happen to me where the fuse "tests" good but cannot pass any appreciable current in circuit. I suspect that the connection of the fuse element to one of the end caps is just good enough to test good under the low current of the the testing device but cannot pass any real current. I keep a few old circuit breakers around to jump fuses in cars and electronics stuff.

Joe

• Like 1

Not one of my finer moments, though I was rewiring a 1936 Auburn 852 S/C Phaeton (it was a combo of older and fresh restored, but someone had not put lockwashers under any of the electrical terminals and in the process had torn up the connectors, plus harness was too greasy in spots to re-use when upgrading car).  Well the first time I ever turned on or tired any lights nothing happened and I spent an evening trying to figure out what I did wrong.  And, the problem was that while not one bulb looked burnt out under a magnifying glass every single bulb in the entire car had a broken element.

By the way, a fellow helping me with a  project went over to help a friend with a 1931 Lincoln and spent a day chasing down grounds.  And, then a week later he was chasing down grounds he had just fixed and ....   I said on day one it is better to just take the time to add  ground wires.  Well, he called an hour ago for advice - my advice has not changed (make sure it all works and is faultless - add ground wires, re-engineer the brake light switch that is giving you grief, and ....).

Right finger on the tip of the positive probe; left finger on the tip of the negative probe, beep! Continuity through the surface lipids, through the skin, and across the interstitial fluids. I bet you used a digital meter. I use an old analog Triplet that a friend gave me at least 25 years ago. He handed it to me and said "Use this and don't buy a meter smarter than you." I bought a digital 10 years later and it sits in the tool box drawer UNDER the Triplet.

Bernie

Willie:

The old circuit breakers came from old TV sets that I would scrap for parts, usually old black and white sets. I used to repair these things as a hobby and give the resurrected sets to a home bound or occasionally sell a few to people who wanted a spare set for a summer house. Now the small screen flat panel sets are so cheap it doesn't pay to repair them. However, I did repair my 40 inch Samsung as I refused to buy a new one. A common failure in these are capacitors and other parts in the power supply board. The technology sure has changed.

Sometimes when diagnosing electronic and electrical devices you need to bring the voltage up slowly to try to ascertain where the problem is and you can go through a lot of fuses or create new problems so I use the circuit breakers, as you pointed out above.

Joe