Ever seen one? Electric gas cap accessory on a Hudson

Pete Phillips

This is on a 1947 Hudson that I brought home recently. I have never seen one of these. Appears to be an after-market accessory, that is controlled by a little white knob that is mounted below the dashboard. Push the button and the cap pops open. Does anyone know if that was a specific Hudson accessory, or just a generic after-market item for all makes? "Snap-Up Gas Cap Co., Ashland, Kentucky" is the brand name on it. Amazingly, it still works.

Pete Phillips

Leonard, TX

post-77451-0-05744200-1456762280_thumb.j

post-77451-0-93578300-1456762297_thumb.j

post-77451-0-80012500-1456762318_thumb.j

post-77451-0-41697100-1456762346_thumb.j

Guest AlCapone

My friend has a similar set up on his 49 Chrysler. He tells everyone it is a Chrysler accessory but we both know different. Wayne

My 90 year old father in law says they were sold through Western Auto and J.C. Whitney.

Neat gadget but if it IS electrically operated I'd be terrified of it.

My 02 Grand Marquis has an electric solenoid to open the fuel filler door remotely and I ain't crazy bout that being so close to fuel vapor, though the newer cars seal their fuel tanks better than yer Hudson ever thought about.

Neat gadget but if it IS electrically operated I'd be terrified of it.

My 02 Grand Marquis has an electric solenoid to open the fuel filler door remotely and I ain't crazy bout that being so close to fuel vapor, though the newer cars seal their fuel tanks better than yer Hudson ever thought about.

And yet, you're perfectly fine with the fact that your 2002 Merc has an electric pump INSIDE the gas tank... 

• Like 2

I also would be concerned about an electrically operated gas cap, one spark and BOOM!  Almost all cars now have the fuel pump in the tank and tests show it is impossible to ignite. I know it sounds crazy but thats the new normal.

These "Snap-Up" brand electric gas caps were factory authorized accessories in the post war era. I've seen them NOS in Mopar labeled boxes as well as Hudson and one other, maybe Packard or Nash. I've also seen them on ebay in just the Snap-Up only labeled boxes. So they were likely available from Western auto or other after market retailers. So tell you friend that his electric gas cap was indeed a factory (well, dealer, at least) item.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

I also would be concerned about an electrically operated gas cap, one spark and BOOM!  Almost all cars now have the fuel pump in the tank and tests show it is impossible to ignite. I know it sounds crazy but thats the new normal.

That's because the interior of a gas tank doesn't have the correct air/fuel mixture to ignite.  Too rich is as bad as too lean.

For what it's worth, here's a link to a Google Image of a Plymouth Snap Up gas cap. It's got an expanded picture that shows the caps different components:

https://www.google.com/search?q=plymouth+electric+gas+cap&biw=1280&bih=609&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjN2LqB4Z7LAhUM8CYKHXFuC8YQsAQIGw

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

I can tell my sister would argue that point! She had a Asian car (don't care to remember what it was) she Came out of the store to find her car engulfed in flames, rear 1/2 pretty much turned inside out from the explosion. The investigating said it was a malfunction in the in-tank fuel pump that caused it.