Pierce Arrow w/ mystery car

MarrsCars

My partner purchased this photo among a group of others today and I immediately noticed (what I assume is) a Pierce Arrow. I was excited as I think it's pretty cool and possibly rare to see one of these cars in-era in an original photograph. You will notice the other car, which I can't identify, so any thoughts from you folks what this might be? Second pic shows an enlargement of the mystery car.

The building is the Oregon Building, a large timber framed structure remaining after the Lewis and Clark Exposition in 1905. The photo is believed to be from around 1915.

post-125633-0-25401600-1451793217_thumb.

post-125633-0-82880400-1451793220_thumb.

I haven't worked out what the mystery car is but I think the Pierce-Arrow is 1914 (maybe a 38hp??), the first year with the headlights on the fenders.  I think the mystery car is 1912 from the shape of the rear fenders.  That 'kick out' at the end was briefly in vogue at that time.

• Like 1

I agree with nzcarnerd that the Pierce is indeed a 1914, the first year of fender-mounted headlights.  That was the only year until 1933 that the fender-mounted headlights' "trumpets" were convex.  From the wheelbase and hood length, I'd call it a 38 hp.

The other car may be a 38 hp Loco, as I've seen the same pattern rear celluloid window treatment on those cars, but that's only a WAG.

• Like 1

The rear fenders kick up in back, so what is seen may be the frame exposed.  It looks like there is a shackle attached to it.

Looking closer at it, I believe it IS a spring, like on the rear of the REO I posted a photo of.

cool old building, living near Portland looking at the wood structure is very interesting to me. 

You may already be aware but all those majectic, purpose built L&C Exhibition structures are gone today and replaced by the NW Industrial District at the north end of nw 23rd Street area. Google some images of the exhibition if you never have, its absolutely amazing, like a World's Fair with various industries and foreign countries showing off their skill, craftsmanship and technologies. There is still the Historic Fairmount Apartments, originally a hotel built for the event, that really has the authentic look and feel of that era, it's diagonal from Meriwether's at NW 26th & Vaughn if you're interested.

Back to the cars themselves, I'm now very curious to learn if the second car is as "special" as the Pierce Arrow, and what all that might mean in the context of the photo.

Edited by MarrsCars (see edit history)

The 1911 EMF did not have front doors and it was on a 108" wheelbase.  This car has front doors and is bigger than that.  The 1912 EMF had front doors but no outside lever.  It also did not have the mouldings seen on the doors of this car.

Find something with two round windows in the top and we will be getting into the ball park.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The 1911 EMF did not have front doors and it was on a 108" wheelbase.  This car has front doors and is bigger than that.  The 1912 EMF had front doors but no outside lever.  It also did not have the mouldings seen on the doors of this car.

Find something with two round windows in the top and we will be getting into the ball park.

The 1911 EMF fore door touring did have front doors as well as the external hand brake lever and has the mouldings which can be seen faintly on the mystery car.  I do not accept that the mystery car is bigger than the EMF and it is in proportion considering the Pierce Arrow has a 132 inch wheelbase compared to the EMF's 108 inch. I consider the EMF well in the ball park and is the mystery car.

Below is a link to a thread which has a photo of a 1911 EMF fore door touring at Post No 8.

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/161246-1911-emf-stolen-in-california/?hl=%2B1911+%2Bstolen

Edited by Stude17 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what the car is, but those round to flat fenders are commonly referred to as "question mark" fenders

Thanks for that. I am surprised I have not heard that term before now.