Trans Fluid Change II

Paul Falabella

Trans Fluid Change I was getting busy.

I drained the pan and as per the manual there should be two plugs in the converter. The Shop manual text says they are accessible through the bell housing cover. I don't see them after turning the converter.The picture, however shows the bell housing off. I have not yet removed the pan. What am I missing?

Thanks 

...Your missing the part about not yet having removed the lower pan cover.  Gotta do that first, then it's O.K. to panic ...

One is at a theoretical 12:00 position and one at the 6:00 position.  They are square headed small approximately 5/32 " and set near the plate cover edge.  Use your biggest standard screw driver or small sharp flat edge crow bar or carpenters cats paw to turn the fly wheel.  You'll find them.

Edited by buick man (see edit history)
  • Like 2

OK, there is a cutout in the cover. The next problem was there is not enough room for a socket and ratchet to the oil pan,once the plug is backed out a bit. After loosening the bolt(with the help of a persuader) I used a 1/4 inch driver to get the bolt out. It is now draining,I am not even going bother with the other plug. Next problem will be retrieving the bolt from the bottom of the flywheel after it drains. I need a Manhattan! Always something!!

Interesting, there is engine overspray on the flywheel.

post-97046-0-14636100-1452197016_thumb.j

Edited by Paul Falabella (see edit history)

I'll take Manhattan!  The Bronx, and Staten Island too!

The engines were painted at the time of their testing on a stand at the factory.  Since the flywheel is part of the engine balancing, it had to be installed to run the test, and so it got painted... partially...  Every flywheel I have seen had some engine paint overspray.

• Like 1

Not really that hard a job, if ones wife would have asked what her husband wanted for Christmas. But now I am relegated to lying on cardboard and being a contorsionist,and just when I get under there I remember the socket I need. I know what I'm getting when I hit the Powerball.

I have gotten many a good nap lying under my vehicles while in the mist of a repair.   Cardboard is not so bad.  A few greasy rags for a pillow.   

• Like 2

I ditched the "lizard routine" 30 years ago when I dug a service pit in my shop.  But I am still up and down the ladder until every tool I own is laid out on the edge. :(

Not sure my wife will be thrilled if I dig a pit in our garage.  However, there is one way to find out.  :o 

• Like 1

I always thought a pit would be a great idea.  How much depth do you need, enough to stand up or just bend over under the car?  That might be hard on the knees!

Deep enough to stand comfortably under the car.  Even then, your head will be cleaning dirt and grease from components. :rolleyes:

• Like 1