Your opinion requested

alini

I modified the factory air cleaner, so it appears like an aftermarket exposed filter.  The original plan has always to fit it with a Wildcat decal.  But seeing it clean without has me wondering.   So which do you like, with or without???

post-128466-0-20022400-1446491206_thumb.

post-128466-0-79220100-1446491206_thumb.

Alini-I'd use the decal. IMHO it's a little bit of positive underhood drama. Your configuration really shows how much the factory air cleaner obscures the valve covers and intake. Because my 63 has turned me into a chrome junkie, I have to ask: Did you consider chrome plating the valve covers, valley, air cleaner and using the decal? Too chrome-a-rama? PRL 

I had thought about pursuing the ribbed aluminum valve covers, but when you do a search of engine pictures the world is full of Chrome or aluminum ribbed covers, billet valley covers.  My intent has been to be different.  I want a clean, almost factory appearance.  The valve covers are the highlight, with the vertical valve arrangement the Nailhead is the show piece.  A large factory air cleaner covers so much of the engine and takes up so much of the bay.  I found the aftermarket filters to be too large or too small.  Many require spacers which lead to problems with hood clearance or sit too high.

We had looked at a few options with this filter arrangement.  Polishing the outer area of the circle and leaving the center black, leaving it black but doing some pinstripe artwork.  We thought about painting it aluminum like the valve covers but we felt that would be too much aluminum.  We had this arrangement (with the decal) to be the lead choice.  It gives a tip to the history of the car, adding to the 'factory' appearance yet adding the custom 'sporty' muscle car look.  Keeping the Wildcat 445 sticker pays homage to the heritage of the car.

Yes I put that much thought into the build of the car ;)

Guest onedesertdog

I'd say go with the decal also. I really like the clean look, and the show of the engine.

On my 65, 2x4, I want to go to an oval black air cleaner. I'll keep or sell the chrome dual snorkel, but It just covers up too much of the engine.,,,

I like the way the firewall cleaned up with the new air conditioning system.... very clean, very nice.  In keeping with that No Decal would seem way to go or maybe, consider the Super Wildcat smaller slimmer decal keeps the engine compartment from getting too busy. .  My 2 cents.  Paul

Go with the decal as it gives you bragging rights.  I always liked the names that were given to engines back in the day.  When I bought my 64 in 1972, I was a senior in high school.  That big air cleaner hid the engine so I took it off completely.  The Carter AFB looked good on top of the nailhead and the sound it made at full throttle was the best.  Trouble is, one night I put my foot into it and the engine died.  I pulled over to find the carb sucked in some insulation from under the hood!  I then went with a set up like you have only it was chrome.  The things you do when you are a teenager!  Either way, I was hooked on Rivs ever since.