WHAT TIRES

LAS VEGAS DAVE

I'm wondering what type and brand tires do you guys that have sedans are using. I have a 38 model 41 and am using Cokers that are radials, they always look like they need air but they already have 36 psi. There must be others with similar tires and I'm wondering if their tires also look like they need air. Is there another brand or type of tire that looks stock but has a stiffer sidewall? 

I am very happy with the reproduction Bias Ply tires on mine. The look much better than radials that were on the car when I bought it.  

X2 to Matthew's comment. My repo bias ply tires ride and steer just fine on my 40, series 41.

I doubt that you will find any radial with "stiff" sidewalls.  Radials are made so that the sidewall will flex; and thus, the "low pressure look".

Several people on the 36-38 tour around Nashville were running Diamond Back Radials at very high pressure 65 psi and they said they looked and rode great. I asked Jesse Cahue about the tires on his 38-48 since they looked so large. He sais he was running 750 X16s I could not imagine anyone changing 

a flat on the rear. He said he calls AAA! I drove my1937 with 650X16 Firestones Bias and seemed to handle well and smooth ride. The photo shows Ralph Artall's 1938 Special coupe with Diamond Backs.

post-121302-0-13980000-1442888877_thumb.

I have over a dozen prewar cars most of them Buick's. I have bias on most , Coker on my 38 Buick ( don't like that I have to rely on tubes) and Diamond back on my 37 Packard. The bias ply look correct, but in the Seattle area there is so much freeway construction the the cars with bias will pitch you left to right and can throw the car 5-6 feet and into the other lane. Friends now ask me if they are driving one of my cars if it has radials or not. Because I think the cars are best enjoyed by driving them.

I has a set of whitewalls make by DiamondBack tires and can be more happier. They are 16' rim, I was able to leave the tube out and this will greatly reduce flat tires. The tires are a 10 ply rating and has little to no sidewall flex. The car handles wonderful and now is the girlfriends favorite car for her to drive, because she isn't worried about the car jumping out of it lane form road conditions.

Everything others have said is true, but if you have rough roads, radials cant be beat.

Steve Fisher

Put me down in the Diamondback radial camp. They make a rather tall, thin radial that I believe it based on a Yokohama truck tire that looks pretty good on late 30s and early 40s cars. It's not quite as correct-looking as the original-style bias-plys, but for the past few days I've been commuting in a 1962 Cadillac convertible that's wearing old bias-plys and it's the one thing that detracts from the experience. It darts all over the road, the tires shriek at even very modest cornering speeds (like anything above 8 MPH), and if you get on the brakes more than about 30%, they howl in protest. It's embarrassing. Never mind that they also pick up flat spots if that heavy car sits still for more than 3-4 days and it takes miles to work them out again. I like the look, but the way radials work is just so much better if you like to drive. And as someone else mentioned, getting rid of the inner tubes makes a big difference in safety and reliability, too.

Put me down for radials. You'll spend more, maybe a lot more, but I guarantee you'll love how they drive and isn't that the point? Combined with your overdrive unit, you'll have the best-driving Special in the club!

I have the radials and the car drives great but they do look like they need air. Since they are new it will probably take years before I replace them. If I was to do it again I think I would have tried the bias tires, others on here seem to like them. Here in Las Vegas we have great roads so bias probably would have been fine. In any case I'm happy if the tires hold air and the car runs and stops good, after all its 77 years old, and some of you guys have a lot older cars than mine, my hat is off to you.

Dave,

Just for grins, look at the Lester Tires from Universal Vintage in Hershey, Pa.

Should I ever buy replacements for my Martins, I will buy their 7.50-16 bias ply tires @ $328.00 per tire.

They have a smoooooth sidewall and 5" whitewall. No "piecrust" tire edges for me.

Just my $ .02

Mike in Colorado

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)

When I had Doug Seybold go thru my 1940 Buick Roadmaster model 71-C conv sedan in 2004 after I bought it , I wanted radials put on it which he did. They are made by Daytona and look great . they are excellent tires and give a great ride to a 49,000 mile orignal car that had a cosmetic restoration in 1972. On my 1936 Packard model 1401 standard Eight club sedan I have Lester bias ply tires and they are wonderful as well. Both cars steer, ride, and drive with no effort  ( until you are going really slow and have little space to maneuver and 'armstrong ' effort comes into play).

Dave,

Just for grins, look at the Lester Tires from Universal Vintage in Hershey, Pa.

Should I ever buy replacements for my Martins, I will buy their 7.50-16 bias ply tires @ $328.00 per tire.

They have a smoooooth sidewall and 5" whitewall. No "piecrust" tire edges for me.

Just my $ .02

Mike in Colorado

Thanks for the info Mike