Any tricks to remove old gearshift knob?

Dwight Romberger

Dwight,

I think I would be safe in assuming that your '22 shifter is similar to this '24 shifter. It looks clearly like there is a knob insert still threaded onto this shifter so my guess is that your's is just very tight as you'd originally thought. I would shoot some PB Blaster up in there (this is the BEST loosener I've ever found), give it ten minutes and then try to remove it with a small strap type oil filter remover if you have access to one. They are inexpensive and available at most parts stores and won't damage your shift knob.

Greg

post-83287-0-29438300-1442357498_thumb.j

post-83287-0-26731100-1442357510_thumb.j

post-83287-0-55763000-1442357522_thumb.j

Dwight,

I think I would be safe in assuming that your '22 shifter is similar to this '24 shifter. It looks clearly like there is a knob insert still threaded onto this shifter so my guess is that your's is just very tight as you'd originally thought. I would shoot some PB Blaster up in there (this is the BEST loosener I've ever found), give it ten minutes and then try to remove it with a small strap type oil filter remover if you have access to one. They are inexpensive and available at most parts stores and won't damage your shift knob.

Greg

I agree with the strap tool to remove.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yup. I have had a strap oil filter wrench for years. Bought mine in Walmart of all places like 20 years ago at least. The material is basically like a tie down strap, or an old seat belt. Man oh Man. I can attest that they are the cats meow when it comes to removing stubborn filters and other stuff. Dandy Dave!

Hi Dwight,

Try pouring boiling water onto the knob and then use a strap wrench while the knob is hot. If you think the knob is rusted to the lever, then turn the shifter upside down in a container of water and leave it to soak for a couple of weeks and just keep trying. I had a 29 Chev with a very rusty cylinder head, soaked it in water for 10 days and got ALL the valves out. I learned this from an Australian OLD CARS magazine, the water caused the rust and it will penetrate and free the rust better than any WD40.

Regards

Viv

• Like 1

The strap idea looks good, here is a thought that I cannot say is based on experience with a knob, but may help. I wonder if a small amount of heat might help? I am thinking maybe from a hair dryer, which I have had success with in safely removing things that are held in place with adhesive. Not so sure that is your issue but assuming either bakalite or such against metal, heating the different surfaces might help separate them?

• Like 1

Guest Bob Call

What Curt said. I remember putting a new "knob" on my dad's 41 Chevy. The lever had splines on the end. I broke the remains of the broken knob by squeezing it with pliers and breaking it from the lever. The new knob instructions were to put the knob into boiling water and let it soak for a few minutes and then with a gloved hand grasp the softened knob and push it onto the splines.

If your Buick knob is pressed on there may not be anyway to soften it enough to get it off of the lever without damaging the knob.

Maybe someone down on the Buick forums might know how the knob is retained on the lever.

If the knob is a press on you should be able to look at the bottom side and see no metal ring for a threaded insert. If it is a screw on, you should be able to see the lower edge of the threaded barrel.

Hi All,

Does anyone know a trick to remove the gearshift knob from my 1922 Buick without destroying it?  As you might quess, grabbing it and twisting until I turn purple did not work!!!

I don't know what the problem is. It has only been on there for 96 years.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dwight

Dwight;

Have you made any progress in removing the gearshift knob?  Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Grog

As Greg showed in the '24 Buick pic, it appears to be a threaded insert.  I have been spraying it with PB Blaster everytime I go past it.  I do not have a good strap wrench, so I will pick one up and give it a try this weekend.

I want to get it off because I was able to locate a knob with the "reverse H" pattern engraved on the top.  They are probably somewhat rare and it will remind me not to try to start out in 3rd gear!

Guest Al Brass

Hi All,

Does anyone know a trick to remove the gearshift knob from my 1922 Buick without destroying it?  As you might quess, grabbing it and twisting until I turn purple did not work!!!

I don't know what the problem is. It has only been on there for 96 years.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dwight

Hi Dwight,

I recently recovered a gearshift knob from a '15 Buick.  It was a black hard rubber knob, cast onto a steel nut but only a small part of the steel protruded from the underside of the knob.  Around the wasteline of the knob was a line, it looked like it was a manufacturing mark where the two halves of the casting pattern came together.  I carefully followed this line and cut it with a small hacksaw until I reached the steel.  When this was done, I managed to pry the lower half off the nut, which revealed it was hexagon.  I put a wrench on the hex and undid it.  I then fitted the lower knob half back to the hex (the top half stayed in place), securing it with some black epoxy filler.  I finished it and with the help of a lathe, added the small line I spoke of earlier.

The knob was too tight to shift any other way and I feel if I had tried to removed it with anything that gripped tight enough, would have shattered the knob.  

Hop that helps !

Regards

Al

As Greg showed in the '24 Buick pic, it appears to be a threaded insert.  I have been spraying it with PB Blaster everytime I go past it.  I do not have a good strap wrench, so I will pick one up and give it a try this weekend.

I want to get it off because I was able to locate a knob with the "reverse H" pattern engraved on the top.  They are probably somewhat rare and it will remind me not to try to start out in 3rd gear!

Don't worry. You won't start out in 3rd many times before you get the hang of it. Experience is a wonderful teacher. Zeke 

• Like 1