Nice looking black 63 Riviera on CL

cjp69

No you couldn't restore one for that money but that's not the point. Cars don't often sell for what's been put into them. Would you guys pay that kind of money for this car even if it did pass some serious scrutiny?

I'm sure there are better deals out there.

BTW, the horns are a four note and the transmission would be more accurately called a Twin Turbine. Buick quit calling them Dynaflow in 1959.

I'll bet you a dollar to a donut that that transmission has 'DYNAFLOW' cast into the top of the case.   It's like calling water dyhydogen monoxide.  What's in a name?  Makes it more expensive is what I've found out.

Yes, I would pay that kind of money if the car passed scrutiny.  I'll have that and perhaps more in my '64 when I'm finished with it.  If I were to have bought a car like this when I bought mine, I'd have been driving it for seven years instead of working on it and trying to find parts for it.  It's fun working on it but it would be more fun driving it.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You couldn't restore everything for what he's asking.  Price is decent if the car can stand up to some scrutiny.

Ed

Agreed Ed, price is good if the work which has been performed is of quality. Only drawback I see is no A/C in a black car but in Portland that probably wouldnt matter as much as other parts of the country. The A/C can be added....I`d rather have a black on black car with no A/C than green on green with ice cold A/C but that just me...

Tom

I agree with Ed and Tom. I think this seems to be a pretty reasonable price for a pretty nice car if it is nearly as nice as it shows in the pictures. I can honestly say that if I was looking now that car would be given serious consideration. I know that I already have a lot more money in my car than what this one is going for and as Ed said,  without so much work. That being said, it is a labor of love and I know up front that I will  spend much more money on my car than I will ever hope to get out of it.

Bill

As some have stated, if the car is straight and passes scrutiny, the price is fair.  Not many of us make money in this hobby and I for one am in it for the pleasure of being able to drive one.  None of us want to be way upside down on any vehicle unless one has money to burn.  I have owned and been driving these Rivs for 43 years now and it doesn't take long for costs to add up to make them presentable, never mind a show winner.  If it is a good honest car, I hope the seller gets his price.

I see your guys perspective on the price because you own Rivieras of this type. You guys hope for values like this so your own cars can theoretically go up in value. I'm looking at the price perspective as a potential future owner looking for one a reasonable price. About three years ago I was seriously looking for one and prices in my area, extending from Eugene OR to Seattle WA, were in the low 10K's for exceptionally nice examples. Even then I couldn't justify paying that much.

Also none of the price guides I've checked would agree with this seller's asking price. Having no A/C deducts quite a nominal amount from it's value. A color combination like this even in the Portland area without A/C is bad. I own a black car and a dark blue car of different makes and they can be unbearable here even currently until the A/C fully cools them off inside. Neither car has leather seats thankfully.

For your sakes and the seller of this beautiful car, I can hope he gets his asking price.

Nice car, decent price.  It would be hard to build.  Someone can buy this one and start driving and showing.  It has to be worth something to not have to crawl under the car and through to fix items after 50+ years .... This will sell and probably very close to the asking price if not the asking price.  Paul

This looks nearly identical to mine, except the engine bay is way nicer.

I paid $16K so I'd say this is a good price. My feeling is a good clean 63-64 is about $18-20K these days. That's what I found when I was shopping.

I see your guys perspective on the price because you own Rivieras of this type. You guys hope for values like this so your own cars can theoretically go up in value. I'm looking at the price perspective as a potential future owner looking for one a reasonable price. About three years ago I was seriously looking for one and prices in my area, extending from Eugene OR to Seattle WA, were in the low 10K's for exceptionally nice examples. Even then I couldn't justify paying that much.

Also none of the price guides I've checked would agree with this seller's asking price. Having no A/C deducts quite a nominal amount from it's value. A color combination like this even in the Portland area without A/C is bad. I own a black car and a dark blue car of different makes and they can be unbearable here even currently until the A/C fully cools them off inside. Neither car has leather seats thankfully.

For your sakes and the seller of this beautiful car, I can hope he gets his asking price.

Here is the ad content, so we don't lose it when the ad cancels.

Sounds (and looks like) it is probably a high 2 condition car, or maybe a low 3.  $15,400 - $34,600 per Hagerty.  https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vbe=52436

I have been looking at Buicks online (and in person) for a good number of years, especially ones in the PacNW, since I live near Seattle WA.  I have not seen very many (if any) exceptional ones in the low 10k's recently.  Good ones maybe, but not exceptional.  In that price range, for a black/black beauty like this one, the paint would be worn and the same with the leather. 

I have AC in 3 of my 7 older Buicks, and 2 of my Buicks are black, and I very rarely use the AC unless it is really hot (85+) or their is a reason why I can't drive with my windows down.  IMO, AC is rarely "necessary"  in the Pac NW.  BUT, I also do not leave my old cars parked for hours in the direct sunlight with the windows rolled up.  Any car gets hot if you do that. 

if you bought this car for $5,500 http://forums.aaca.org/topic/258352-1963-riv-on-cl-21k-miles-1-owner-5500/

You would be into for money than the one listed below for $18,950 by the time you made it as nice, plus you would have lost a year or two of driving time and lots of hours doing it. 

1963 Buick I have owned since 1979. Everything has been replaced with authentic Buick parts except the exhaust system. 401 cu in Nail head, 325 HP and automatic transmission. Has a Posi Track rear end as well. In that time it has been repainted twice the correct Black color and has a new Black interior. Engine was rebuilt about 20k miles ago. Has power brakes, windows and steering. All chrome has been re-chromed, all stainless has been polished and all rubber seals have been replaced. It has new side glass and windshield and dash pad. All new belts in 2008 and this car is only driven on weekends in the summer and stored inside. Trunk has all new lining material as well. Five new tires make this car a sweet ride. Runs and drives great! Much, much more I can tell you over the phone.

Give Mike a call at phone number in the reply box above. No emails or texts. If I miss your call leave a message and I will return your call quickly.  $18,950.  503-236-7973

Edited by cjp69 (see edit history)