I hate to keep bugging you guys but now I have a paperwork question

Guest Will C

Im now looking at a car with questionable paperwork. He has a Alabama registration from many years ago and is selling with a bill of sale. The registration has been signed over to another person long ago and my state will not let me register the car with what is given. He does not seem willing to put the car in his name. I've heard of some title companies that will make a title for the car in my name. Is this true and where do I find these places and what is needed to make this happen. This is kind ifa nice car but I dont want to make an offer if it is just going to turn into a lawn ornament. Thank you

More information is needed to assess the situation. Even with all of the information this situation will be difficult to give advice on. It all depends on your particular state laws regarding vehicle titles and what state the vehicle was last titled in. Is the seller in your state or another? There are vehicle title companies that operate essentialy by you "selling" the car to them on paper, and then them "selling" the vehicle back to you with a title from their state. Some people have successfully used these but some state Departments of Motor Vehicles will not issue a title based on a title obtained through this method. I know that North Carolina tightened up their laws several years ago and using one of those companies will not work to title a vehicle in NC now. I have no idea if that would work in New York.

You have to be very careful in dealing with a vehicle without a valid title in a title state. Some states do not issue titles for older vehicles. There are methods of dealing with buying a car in a non-title state and registering it in a title state but it all depends on your state's laws regarding this. It is also very important that you make sure that the vehicle is not stolen, or has not been stolen some time in the past. Without a valid title, you are taking a chance of buying something that you will not be able to use, and could actually end up losing your money and also losing the car to the real owner if was stolen in the past.

Some states have laws that enable you to put up a bond to obtain a title in questionable instances. You need to learn your own state's laws and may need to talk to an attorney in your state or perhaps members of a local AACA Region in your area can give you some advice.

Isn't Alabama a state that does not have a titles for older cars. I bought a car in Alabama with a registration and BOS a few years back and the people at the Alabama BMV provided me with documentation to that effect on their official letter head and the Indiana BMV accepted that. Something about when Alabama converted to a computer based system they discontinued tites on older cars. Talk with the supervisor at the Alabama BMV in the county where the car is located. Took some leg work on my part but got it done!

I had a feeling there would be problems. Think I will pass on this car also.Thanks guys.

Will, I think that's the best decision in one of these "phantom" title situations. If a seller gives you old song and dance: "You can easily get a title", then just tell him to do it and you'll be back with cash in hand once he can present a valid title. There are several pitfall-laden phrases that seem to crop up when buying an old car: "It ran when parked", "That can be easily fixed", "you can easily get a title with this bill of sale", "I can get more ($) than that on ebay" etc., etc.

After several "near misses" I've adopted the attitude: "No title, no deal".

Cheers,

Grog

If it is an old New York State registration with and person's name who is not available just fill out all the paperwork and leave in blank where that person is supposed to sign. When the nice lady at the Watertown DMV points that out just act surprised and say "Oh! He is out in the car. I'll take it out to him. He's old."

And remember, if you are my age, always wear a Vietnam era hat and let her know this car is making your dreams come true. If there is a DMV in Governeur or Ogdensburg it is probably worth the trip, but don't go to a bigger city than Watertown.

They are just looking for crooks, old honest guys can get away with a little more.Bernie

I fully concur with capngog - bought my first antique car in 1961 and have been through a lot of dealings with NYS DMV over the years - it isn't nearly as bad as some states but I've had a couple of friends who have had major problems. If there is no paperwork in the buyers name (a bill of sale does not count - I can write a bill of sale to myself) then there is no deal - life is too short for hassles.

When I bought my 1952 Plymouth the person who owned it had not put it in his name. It had a clear Wisconsin title but I procrastinated for 10 years before putting it in my name. No good reason, just laziness. When I did go to the Illinois DMV although they were not very happy with me they went the extra mile to take care of the problem and get me a title. It often makes a difference which DMV office you go to. We have two within 20 miles and the closer one seems determined to deny any request or be unwilling to help you with any problem that takes a bit of effort on their part. The farther one is very well organized and also will do any whatever it is within their power to get things accomplished. I often wonder if the reason is that the one that is very unhelpful is in a low income area and the one that is helpful is in a fairly upscale area.

I had a couple of paperless cars when I lived in New York and it was no big deal to rectify. As others have said, New York DMV is usually very reasonable to deal with. Have you tried calling the title bureau in Albany to explain the situation (or, better yet, gone there in person)?

A while back I walked into a DMV 1 mile from my house. I took one look at the row of cherubic faces, pivoted, and drove 15 miles to a happier place. Never let convenience be a priority when dealing with that group.

And the other guys are probably right, avoid the deal. Is the the Studebaker Hawk you mentioned in another section of the forum? Could you send me the contact information in a PM?

Bernie

Isn't Alabama a state that does not have a titles for older cars. I bought a car in Alabama with a registration and BOS a few years back and the people at the Alabama BMV provided me with documentation to that effect on their official letter head and the Indiana BMV accepted that. Something about when Alabama converted to a computer based system they discontinued tites on older cars. Talk with the supervisor at the Alabama BMV in the county where the car is located. Took some leg work on my part but got it done!

In Alabama; 1974 and earlier cars are not issued Titles