Can you help identify this car

Guest jifisama

Guest jifisama

Hello, I'm from France, and I have visited Cuba twice, ten years ago, a great occasion to see many American cars of the 50s (including 2 Edsels !)

I need the group's help to identify this car

Given its size, I would think this is an American car from the late 40s or early 50s

Thanks in advance for your help

post-104956-143142869024_thumb.png

Most Cuban cars have been modified so much that it is hard to tell what they are. My guess would be a 1952 Plymouth with much work done to it. The hood seems to have a place where the nose chrome piece would have fitted and the bumpers seem to match as does the top chrome above where the grille would have gone. But it could be foreign also.

It looks like an early '50's Brazilian Chrysler product, maybe a Plymouth.

Bernie

I agree....export Plymouth with the 1951-52 style. My Dad had a 35 year run as a Chrysler executive/supervisor for the export/import division and had lots of photos of the export models. Wish I had them today.

I was in Sidney, Australia taking a break after the Pueblo incident. It was AGER-2. I was on AGMR-2. I met an Aussie in a bar who had a 1960 Chrysler. A few of us went out to look it over. It was built with 1953-54 Dodge sedan body panels, had four canted headlights, and a small (318, 326) V8.

Another car that was well traveled was the Chevy Chevette. It was an Opel in Germany and Brazil or Argentina for about 8 years before becoming a "new" car in the US.

Bernie

The Cuban car could be of Russian origin. Grille looks non original. Would need a side view

I was in Sidney, Australia taking a break after the Pueblo incident. It was AGER-2. I was on AGMR-2. I met an Aussie in a bar who had a 1960 Chrysler. A few of us went out to look it over. It was built with 1953-54 Dodge sedan body panels, had four canted headlights, and a small (318, 326) V8.
Like this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Royal_%28Australia%29 Most have a 6 cylinder

AP = Australian Production

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Another car that was well traveled was the Chevy Chevette. It was an Opel in Germany and Brazil or Argentina for about 8 years before becoming a "new" car in the US.

Bernie

The Chevette only began production in Europe in 1975. The first Chevy Chevette was 1976. I owned a 1976 model for several years in the 1980s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vauxhall_Chevette

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

51-52 Plymouth: The chrome Plymouth name has been removed from the hood. Turn signals have been removed from under the headlights and aftermarket lights added next to the headlights. Grill bar replaced with some kind of screen. Anything goes in Cuba to keep these cars running. They have been known to add pontoons to float them to the U.S.<o:p></o:p>

• 3 years later...

The car in question looks a highly modified '51-'52 DeSoto Diplomat, minus the grille while still possessing its white "moustache." As others have noted, it's really difficult to know as bumpers and sheet metal are often swapped and side trim may be missing.

5a889c2d27708_52inCuba.jpg.110fa0d3b2c4764d4f84d661a176f6ad.jpg

The '52 Diplomat below was taken in Havana in August, 2106, and in 6 subsequent trips I've begun to document the many Chrysler Export Division models there, primarily the DeSoto Diplomat and Dodge Kingsway versions with Plymouth bodies.

5a88996a40220_CalleInquisidor352DeSotoDiplomatXT.thumb.jpg.871081b617e59bbf37bc3f27a798eb1e.jpg

I wish keiser31 had some of his Dad's material from his career at Chrysler Export, as the cars and their ultimate destinations are fascinating.

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)