Storage advice for winter, 1930 Model A Ford

mrcvs

It is starting to get cold, so I drained the radiator of water that was in it this year. There was NO coolant added.

Is this sufficient for the winter, or is there anything else necessary (e.g., any 'pockets' within the water jacket that could prove problematic in a cold winter?)

Ideally, I would place antifreeze in the radiator and run it prior to the winter, but I cannot get the car to run more than 10 seconds without quitting. Then it will start again for 1-2 seconds and quit. Is this sufficient should the above be necessary?

I did remove the carburetor and soaked in carburetor fluid and it did not improve the problem. I am afraid to use any wire or metal material to unplug the jets, if this is even a problem.

Guest AlCapone
AMEN !!

Why not run antifreeze all year long considering the anti-rust additives and water pump lubricant.

Totally agree ! Wayne

Modern antifreeze is ,in my opinion, not a good idea for permanent cooling on a Model "A". Modern antifreeze is design to be used in a pressurized system,which an " A " is not, and the antifreeze will foam up and push out all over the place. Could ruin paint! I just ran water in mine. I always just drained the radiator for winter and never had a problem. There is only one drain on the lower pipe and any water ,if any, left in the block would cause no problem if it froze because it has room for expansion. Eventually the left over water would evaporate any way. I did cover all brightwork and plated parts with a good coat of wax to help protect against oxidation over the winter and I jacked the car up to get the weight of the tires. Stored mine for 16 years like this with no problems. I would also plug the tailpipe and carb intake to keep out small rodents if you have trouble with them.

For what it's worth, here is what I do. Drain the water from the engine. Pour in a gallon of antifreeze. Run the engine to circulate the anti-freeze and then drain. In the summer, I run water with a bottle of water wetter added to prevent rust.

Anti-frezze in a Model A tends to leak out through the gaskets and make a mess of the engine.

Guest AlCapone

I also have several Model A Fords and run antifreeze year long. I have never had a foaming or boil over issue. Also the antifreeze has water pump lubricant and rust inhibitor. I personally consider it cheap protection for the value received.

Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

Or move to Florida.

.... or Louisiana, south of I-10 in the area of Lake Pontchartrain, and drive it all winter long ...

Coolants will find their own level with or without antifreeze.

I have run antifreeze in everything I ever owned from a 1919 Titan 10-20 tractor, all the tractors (without and with water pumps) I ever owned, my cars from my 1919 T to current vehicles.

After you drain enough brown water every Fall you get the idea what's going on.

There is no reason to not use antifreeze.........and no need to remember if you forgot to drain something either.

Modern antifreeze is ,in my opinion, not a good idea for permanent cooling on a Model "A". Modern antifreeze is design to be used in a pressurized system,which an " A " is not, and the antifreeze will foam up and push out all over the place. Could ruin paint! I just ran water in mine. I always just drained the radiator for winter and never had a problem. There is only one drain on the lower pipe and any water ,if any, left in the block would cause no problem if it froze because it has room for expansion. Eventually the left over water would evaporate any way. I did cover all brightwork and plated parts with a good coat of wax to help protect against oxidation over the winter and I jacked the car up to get the weight of the tires. Stored mine for 16 years like this with no problems. I would also plug the tailpipe and carb intake to keep out small rodents if you have trouble with them.

I didn't think it would be a problem, but just wanted to make sure. But, draining it yielded a liquid that looked like coffee (rust) and, I thought to myself, this can't be good...