Sign in to follow this  
harner

Original Sanford and Son Truck For Sale

Going against the grain a little here, but I like the rules on one of the gun sites I'm a member of. The rules states that anyone can ask what they want for their item and it is against the rules to question it. The rule actually is very well respected there and has worked very positively through the years.

Bill

I like this, as long as if the item is misrepresented, that can be questioned. I wouldn't want someone saying a car was something it wasn't, but price, when selling always start high, and when buying always start low!

Yeah, I fully agree with questioning mis-representation. We have a lot of fakes out there that we are always battling. Not sure if it is happening with all brands and in all eras, but 50's, '60's and early 70's Chevys sure have a good share of it.

Bill

I visited this incredible museum a few years ago which has so many historical items from Matt Dillon’s hat to a huge selection of unusual vehicles including Johnny Cash’s one piece at a time Caddy, JFK’s ambulance (recently sold), etc, etc. They also claim to have the Sanford truck (scroll down) which was there when I visited.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/18242

That truck seems awfully clean, undamaged and shiny to be the original. I the series, it was a beat up heap. I'm somewhat skeptical of the museum truck

Well, if they're claiming that to be the actual "Sanford and Son" truck, they got the wrong year. Fred's truck was either a '51 or '52 and that truck shown is a '48 to '50 Model.

Now they stated: "only a few feet from a pickup truck used on Sanford and Son"

Now that could be possibly true, there may have been another truck seen somewhere in the series, but that was not Fred's actual truck.

That may of used a few trucks on the series like mostproduction sets. This museum has a lot of “real” vehicles including CraigBreedloves Spirit of America, original bat mobile, several presidents personalcars, etc. They even have the casket handles from Abram Lincolns casket whichwere taken off prior to burial. They could have made a replica made but doubtful. All the real trucks should have a studioletter of authenticity.

I have now watched this about 60 times and I'm pretty sure the truck listed in the original post is indeed the truck used in the opening credits. Check out the rust/damage on the driver's front fender and the flag stand welded to the passenger's side front bumper. The graphics on the doors look right, too.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1WqazleR3FE" allowfullscreen="" height="315" width="420" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Is it worth more because it was on TV? I don't know. I've seen garden-variety Plymouth 'Cuda convertibles sell for five times their actual value because Don Johnson's butt might have been in the front seat at one point. And we all know that anything with Steve McQueen's butt print in the driver's seat is worth exponentially more than equivalent vehicles of the same type. Who's to say? I probably wouldn't take it on consignment, but that's not to say some museum somewhere doesn't want it or some guy who owns a bunch of other TV memorabilia won't see the value.

/now you're humming it, aren't you?

I visited this incredible museum a few years ago which has so many historical items from Matt Dillon’s hat to a huge selection of unusual vehicles including Johnny Cash’s one piece at a time Caddy, JFK’s ambulance (recently sold), etc, etc. They also claim to have the Sanford truck (scroll down) which was there when I visited.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/18242

That is not Fred's truck. I can hear Fred calling the museum curator a "big dummy".

Well put me in the 1% I guess because I knew it was a 51 or 52. Doing a quick search the web seems to think it is a 51. No comment on price, everything is worth what a seller and buyer agrees on.

I also knew that the truck was a 51 or 52 . Now we know that it's a 51 for sure.

Also looks like the truck was in better condition when it was used in the show! You can see the flag holder if you look quickly and know that it's there.

I can't imagine anything more fleeting than "pop culture" fame. Sanford & Son was cancelled in 1977... 37 years ago. Presuming you were 18 at the time, a fan would have to be 55 now. Thats all well and good because its the age bracket a buyer is likely to fall into, but what about 20 years from now (unless you are betting on someone paying a small fortune for a truck they saw in late night re-runs). I'd just about bet that in another 20 years you'll have to look hard for someone who even remembers the show, much less that would pay a premium for the beat up truck that was in the opening scene.

I once had the wreck of a RR PI chassis behind my shop. It belonged to a friend of mine who bought it for parts and had me sell those he didn't need. Supposedly, it had belonged to Tom Mix, identifiable by the chassis number (although I never bothered to confirm this)... even presuming it was true, it didn't add a cent to the value of the stuff although I kept one of the pistons and used it as an ash tray for many years. I ended up giving it to a friend who was, at the time, in his 70s and one of the few people I knew who had any idea who Tom Mix was.

Go out and ask some High School students if they can name the Beetles - you'll find out how long popular "fame" lasts.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

Go out and ask some High School students if they can name the Beetles - you'll find out how long popular "fame" lasts.

I guess you could put me in that segment a few years ago. I had never heard of a "Tucker" Automobile. Now, with the help of the AACA Museum, and the gentleman that donated his collection of Tucker's, people a lot younger than me will learn about Preston Tucker and his dream.

I will bet that every day that one could spend on this AACA Web Site one could learn something new that others would not have thought would be important in life. It's the mission of the AACA's and every one of us to educate, promote, and protect the history of the automobile. I can not wait to see Fred's old Ford on an AACA show field at some time in the future. We do not have a class for it yet, but mark my words, I'll bet you will sometime in the future.

Wayne

Wayne,

You forgot about Class 39...

Special Interest Vehicles (Class 39)

A display only, non-judged class. All vehicles in this class must be approved by the Class Acceptance Committee. The owner of such vehicle

must provide documentation and authenticity documents to the Class Acceptance Committee. Consideration will be for the following examples:

a. Celebrity vehicles

b. Vehicles in movies or on television

c. Vehicles of historical significance

d. Vehicles of inovative design that never matured

This class is not for modified vehicles, i.e., hot rods, street rods, choppers and etc.

Go out and ask some High School students if they can name the Beetles

Ladybird, dung, click, scarab. The Beatles were John. Paul, George and Ringo :P:)

Guest my3buicks

Bill, that is the case if a member posts a classified add on the forums, but I don't believe this one actually qualifies since it is just a link to an ebay sale.

It's hard to differentiate the 51 from the 52 Ford pickup. I look for the single emblem on the front below the hood on the 51.The 52 has F O R D spelled out. The Sanford truck has nothing so it was deliberately filled in or it never had it because the truck is a 6. Th chrome strips are different, too as the 51 has only one line while the 52 has a long trident but I've seen the single on 52s and the trident on 51s. This is a 51

1951+Ford+V8+pickup.JPG

Great Truck!

I used to go to your grandfathers junkyard MANY years ago! If memory serves me right the main road split the yard in half. It seemed everything I needed was on the LONG DISTANCE part of the yard! Great memories!

Good luck to you on the sale!

Bill

That's neat, and thank you! As luck usually has it, the part you need is always the hardest one to get to.

I have now watched this about 60 times and I'm pretty sure the truck listed in the original post is indeed the truck used in the opening credits. Check out the rust/damage on the driver's front fender and the flag stand welded to the passenger's side front bumper. The graphics on the doors look right, too.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1WqazleR3FE" allowfullscreen="" height="315" width="420" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Is it worth more because it was on TV? I don't know. I've seen garden-variety Plymouth 'Cuda convertibles sell for five times their actual value because Don Johnson's butt might have been in the front seat at one point. And we all know that anything with Steve McQueen's butt print in the driver's seat is worth exponentially more than equivalent vehicles of the same type. Who's to say? I probably wouldn't take it on consignment, but that's not to say some museum somewhere doesn't want it or some guy who owns a bunch of other TV memorabilia won't see the value.

/now you're humming it, aren't you?

Thank you for the input. With the documentation it can easily be traced back as the original.

For those interested several of my Grandfather's cars are also up for sale.

1938 Other Makes Armstrong Siddeley Limo

post-103813-143142783787_thumb.jpg

Link

1919 Ford Model T Touring

post-103813-143142783798_thumb.jpg

Link

^^^Why not start a separate thread in the "For Sale" section rather than taking this one off topic?^^^