Blue dot tail light

Guest rwoolfitt

Guest rwoolfitt

My apologies if this has been asked and answered before, but does anyone know when and by whom the first blue dot taillight was used. I know they were on 12 cylinder Packards in 32, 33 and 34. Thanks.

This subject was discussed several years ago in the magazine called "Street Rodder". It was stated that blue dots were never an O.E.M. part on any car or truck. Seems like the subject came up because several people had been stopped by the police for using blue lights on their cars and the cops didn't like it. How someone could mistake blue dots on an old car for a police cruiser I'll never know. The writers of "Street Rodder" are hot rod people and may be mistaken, but that what they said.

Once upon a time I was pulled over while driving my stock 1934 Ford Tudor with blue dots. The Deputy said only emergency vehicles were authorized to display a blue light. I argued that they lit up purple and came on the car when I got it 20 years before. He said he'd have to write up a formal warning. I asked him to include the Statute # and reference for my article in the Antique Car Club News. He looked for awhile then said he couldn't waste time doing that and that I should just leave and be aware of his impression of the law. No warning ticket either.