What do you guys think of this buick?

56buickinga

I wouldn't mind taking a look at it but I'm not sure how firm on his 3500$ he is going to be. Plus I've limited space actually none to store it right now. But a prewar straight 8 and three speed does sound quite lovely.

It looks solid and like a great starter I know the interior will be gone and the tires look gone too.

An "Asking" price is just that! It never hurts to make a lower offer, lower than you really want to pay, and then maybe be pleased with an acceptance, or maybe meet part-way at what you really can afford.

Marty and Stuart are giving good advice.

You have some distinct advantages:

It is a local car.

It doesn't run (could have all kinds of mechanical problems)

Rodders don't want it because it is a 4-door.

As Stuart pointed out, after three weeks, his dreams of a bidding war have past.

(20) $100 bills in one pocket with (5) as a backup in another pocket will get you the car.

The entry fee will pale in comparison to the total cost of owning the car. The only thing that makes me even think about chiseling an asking price down is the attitude of the seller. The $3500 is probably in the range of 10 to 15% of your total investment.

If the seller is a nice guy give him the money. If the seller is a jerk it is best to stay away from the car completely.

Cars seem to carry the previous owner's personality. I have 5 old cars. Two belonged to jerks. I don't drive those as much. The other three are an absolute pleasure to drive and be around just to polish.

I bought a car this week, a '48 Packard. The owner wanted to keep the new battery for another of his cars. I asked if I could use it to get the car parked in my garage and bring it back. He was a little edgy but agreed. I took it back yesterday. If he had been the type of person who would have just kept it he NEVER would have let me take it. After years in the hobby you get to recognize personalities, they are not deeply hidden.

If you are nuts enough to take on the project, pay the seller or leave him standing in his own little world.

Bernie

With all respect to Bernie's comments, I think that Dwight is on target.

Many sellers "ask" more than they ultimately plan to "accept", knowing that most buyers want to feel that they have benefitted from dealing - just look at any episode of "American Pickers" of "Pawn Stars".

It looks like a decent car and a worthwhile project which could be a fun "driver"

Good luck, and let us know the results.

Well, for the most part 4-door cars aren't the 1st. choice to be modified, but EXCEPTIONS to EVERY rule.

It is a FAST BACK so to speak, that's a factor that could entice someone like ME that doesn't feel the need to keep it all original, so it could go to a buyer that has custom thoughts.

I personally like 4-door cars, didn't always, but like the room, and something a tad different.

I wish you well should you buy this piece.

Times have changed, I bought my 41 Limited for $200.00 in 1973, wow, that was a long time ago, Lol.

Dale in Indy

I love the 4 doors, makes it so you can take friends without them contorting themselves to get in / out the back seat.

And we all knows that gets harder as the calendar goes by.

You also have room for the dog, if so inclined. Mine loves my 4 door super.

When I joined the Buick Club in 1979 those cars were 38 years old and really popular. At that age the well maintained ones were still about 10 years away from needing major money spent on them, were reasonably priced, and ready for a lot of fun at the equivalent of a $3,000 or $4,000 car today.

Its kind of like buying a 1976 in good shape today for 4 grand and keeping it until 2050. That logic might go a lot farther today. Actually, I think if the right 2003 to 2005 Lincoln Town Car comes along for under $10,000 I could do it.

Nice thought...... wouldn't life be tough if you could only have one car.

Bernie