Death Valley Scotty and Franklin cars

Rusty_OToole

Years ago I read a magazine article and interview of Death Valley Scotty and his castle. He said the Franklin company sought his endorsement of their air cooled motors, and gave him a new car every year for 7 years. He said when he was through with them he shoved them over a cliff.

I wonder if there is any chance this is true? Does anyone remember Franklin ads with his endorsement? If the cars ever existed it would be worth looking around the desert ravines for them.

I've been to the castle and taken the tour twice. Scotty was a notorious liar and con man. He never owned the castle and rarely was seen there, except for promotional events. One of Scotty's cars is there, a 36 Dodge panel. Perhaps Franklin gave him cars or maybe it was another of his tall tales. I'm sure the area around the castle has been pretty thoroughly picked over. Besides, the whole area is a national park. If you found a car, in any condition, it would have to remain there.

I have been to Death Valley a lot near Scotty's Castle on Jeep trips and have never found any Franklin parts, although I DID find two radiator shells for cars that I had at the time. One was for a 1926 Chrysler and the other was for my 1931 Dodge. Odd that I found the two things I needed and no other '26 Chrysler or '31 DB parts.

I have been to Death Valley a lot near Scotty's Castle on Jeep trips and have never found any Franklin parts, although I DID find two radiator shells for cars that I had at the time. One was for a 1926 Chrysler and the other was for my 1931 Dodge. Odd that I found the two things I needed and no other '26 Chrysler or '31 DB parts.

Thats cuz you are living right.

• Like 1

Guest prs519

Somewhere in my collection of True West magazines (going back to 1953), there was an in-depth article about Scotty, who was a superb showman. It hinted also that he was a bit slippery, and told the story of his receiving a high-end automobile in, as I recall, 1906-08. Maybe a Columbia, Michigan, or Premiere. He basically sweet-talked the benefactors out of this prize, based on his self-importance. I believe it said some form of remuneration was to have ensued, but never did. Quite an interesting fellow to read about, but I doubt the story of the cliff diving Franklins. Perry

Death Valley Scotty had a 1906 National. The really big touring car. In recent years it was owned by the Blackhawk Collection and the Imperial Palace and most recently purchased and restored by the John Rich Collection in Pennsylvania. It was at Pebble Beach a couple of years ago as well as some of the other concours. An absolutely impressive motorcar.

See the link below:

http://www.jwrautomuseum.com/vehicles/1906nme7pt.html

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

Guest prs519

Thank you for clearing that up; yes, it was a National I was trying to think of. I imagine ownership of that car went far to oil Scotty's ego even more!

• 1 month later...

It took me a while, but I finally found the photo I purchased at Chickasha several years ago. The photo shows two Franklins (c. 1923-4). The photo contains a caption:

Franklin "Desert Camels," May 31, 1929 - Scotty's Furnace Creek Ranch, Death Valley, CA.

I recall several old-timers talking about Death Valley Scotty having several Franklins. This is the first evidence I have seen.post-31538-143142497168_thumb.jpg

Guest richentee

Ralph Hamlin, the Los Angeles Franklin dealer, conducted several publicity events (starting in 1921) in Death Valley (and other desert and mountain areas) to demonstrate that air-cooled cars did not overheat and were entirely capable of handling high stress driving. The picture above was released as part of the publicity in 1924. The car on the left (Camel II) belonged to Hamlin, it has dealer's plates and was outfitted for the rigors of the trials. The right hand car was part of the support group. Whether or not Scotty owned a Franklin is a different question.

• 9 years later...