Sign in to follow this  
wldavis

Old cars on the road

Dave @Moon, Do you actually know these people who were fined or is it "I know a guy whos friend had a buddy"? That sounds like internet legend to me. I will draft a letter to our attorney general tonight and let you know the official ruling. I think the phrase "occasional pleasure driving" is open to interpretation. I would be a king Dic* and take it to the Pa supreme court if I was ever stopped pulling into my parking lot and fined. If the attorney general tells me I can't; well, I will heed his word. Heck, I pretty much work all the time. I might just as well sell the darn thing if I can't ever use it!<P>[ 08-13-2002: Message edited by: sammi ]<p>[ 08-13-2002: Message edited by: sammi ]

The names have been withheld to protect the "guilty". I don't think they'd like to have their criminal pasts being read by strangers in Tangiers! Believe me, though, they do exist (at opposite corners of the state, no less!). <P>The guy with the Lincoln was busted when the cop saw him park in a company lot and carry his briefcase into his office building. As far as "urban legend" rumor is concerned, I've heard of people being busted by driving by the same cop at the same time on multiple occasions, whereupon they were followed. My guess is that has to be a <I>very</I> sleepy town.<P>By the way, it didn't matter legally, but the Lincoln (a Mark III) had "Classic Car" plates instead of the antique tags. <I>ANY PROBLEMS WITH THAT, PETE?</I> tongue.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0

I was just on the official Pennsylvania website and looked up Antique registration. It says the car can be used for "occasional transportation and similar uses". "occasional transportation and similar uses is defined as one day per wk." Therefore if the cop saw your friend driving it twice to work in the same week he is busted. If he just saw him the one day and fined him your friend got a raw deal.