Is there a young Buick collector market?

60FlatTop

I am 33 and it was my singular goal to pick up a 1955 Buick for 25 years, I worked very hard to achieve that dream. Now I am on to the next dream, a 1940 Buick Limited. I for one am pleased that through the natural process of supply and demand, prices are seeming to right themselves for full classics, and are becoming more attainable. Every hobby has a cycle.

In keeping with Dan's comments, I agree that people still in their 20s & 30s simply don't have the time and resources yet.

How many of us grey guys bought their collector cars when we were that young?

I think most of the future collectors just have not matured enough to have the time and resources to collect and/or restore old cars.

That's a piece of it. For what it's worth, I'm generation X, and I bought my AMX at age 20, and managed to sell it so I could buy the Wildcat. I've owned that car since 1993.

Another element here is that this is a male-dominated hobby and in our youth, it is dominated by testosterone...that is, go fast cars. The market for muscle cars has been driven relatively high, so it is more difficult to find entry level quick cars. Thus, some of the youth of the hobby may be lured to other segments, such as the tuners or hot rods or rat rods. I know the local rat rod club has a much younger demographic than the Manitoba Classic & Antique Auto Club, of which I remain one of the youngest members (and I joined there at the end of 1998).

Generally, the hobby has had a couple of components - those who have always been in it (i.e. they made it a priority in their youth, or found an affordable car that they could tinker with and personalize and enjoy) and those who join the hobby later in life, once some of the other financial responsibilities have been dealt with. Having noted I bought the Wildcat in 1993, was married in '94, and started having children in '96, the car sat and waited until 2005 for the restoration work to begin.

My children, who are now all teenagers (one with a driver's license and one with a learner's permit) have their eyes on at least some of the Buick fleet. The youngest has his eye on a car in the alley that hasn't moved in years - I believe it is a Triumph. Then again, they are being raised in the hobby and are privileged in that I found a Sugar Momma who has financed the hobby.

As for jobs / careers and opportunities, they are out there. There is money to be earned, but you can't sit back and just expect it to happen as it did in some previous generations where Dad helped Junior get a job at the plant / mill / dealer / whatever that turned into a career. There are some intriguing statistics out there about how income levels haven't kept pace with inflation though. Compound that with environmental regulations driving up some stuff like chroming and paint and the hobby can be unaffordable for many young folks.

Lots of "pigeon-holing" and generalizations in this thread. I have my own generalizations, but no proof, so will not offer them.

Personal observation:

Two children, two "marriage-children", all in their 40's; one grandchild - 15

One child enjoys both cars and motorcycles; has restored two cars and one motorcycle

One marriage child loves both racing and motorcycles; has restored many motorcycles

One child and one marriage-child drive, but not interested in vehicles except as transportation.

Granddaughter is car-crazy, and enjoys Grandpa's cars.

And on another note: demand for our carburetor rebuilding kits is currently at a 40 year high, so there are certainly many that are working on cars!

Jon.

Tuner cars were mentioned by "Thriller", and I think about that when the issue of affordability comes up. Some of these young guys spend a lot on them, and if they wanted to they could likely buy a more "vintage" car, but its' their choice to buy and customize a '90's Honda, or whatever fits as a "tuner" car. Part of it is that's what they grew up with, so they have an attachment to them, more than likely. Also, they are available, like model T's were in days gone by.

The other thing is that there are more and more cars getting old enough to be a "collector", so the potential for cars to collect is ever increasing, which I think is good, as there are only so many 40's and 50's, etc., cars out there.

On a more personal note, I recently caught my kids (daughter 21, son 13) kind of arguing about who will get which car when I'm gone! Zowie! I didn't think

I was that old yet!

Keith

LOL, Yes, that is a scary thing Keith.

Personally, since I have no immediate plans to sell any of my collector cars, I am not at all concerned about the young collector market. But I believe it is alive and well. Just two weeks ago I was gasing up the wagon, which really does not look all that great right now, when what appeared to be a teenager walked in front of the car and commented that it was a "nice car". That's enough action for me.

• 5 months later...
Guest buickkuhn

My 2 young daughters are 14 and 9 now (I was in my late 20's when I purchased my 1941 buick special ) . They both have been giving the 41 buick a kiss goodnight for years . Talk about the buick as if it is another family member ,also appreciate it when we go on drives . Plus I tend to buy cars to fix and flip , thats when I get yelled at when I pick them up in those . The buick motor is getting rebuilt this winter and next summer teaching my oldest to drive it as stated above , they have to be involved .

I am a little late to this thread and there was a lot of good discussion here. I would agree with those that mentioned the role exposure plays. I started going to car shows very young with my grandfather. He always had a project going and took the time to include me.

I will be 34 this week, am married with two children and a third on the way. I make a point to include my son and daughter as much as I can. In fact I am considering bringing my daughter with me to my first BCA National next summer. I currently have 4 cars....none are show quality and most are four doors because that is what I could afford, but the family loves riding with me to cruise nights.

I hope to foster an appreciation in my kids like my grandfather did with me and I enjoy being with "older" classic car owners. I see it as a great learning opportunity.

Adam,

I am not sure if the B-60 will be making it. It is about 15 hours for me. We will see how far along I get by then.

I may want to pick your brain on your newest acquisition...I have been eyeing a 60 LeSabre Convertible that is a few hours away from me.

The article mentioned something like an estimated 5.8 million collector cars (if I remember correctly) in a country with a population in the range of 300 million suggesting one collector car for about every fifty people. That doesn't touch on those of us with multiple cars. So if one in fifty is a collector (2%), it makes sense that some of us won't have children or grandchildren interested in the hobby. All we can do is enjoy our cars and positively expose as many others to the hobby as possible.

As a 26 year old woman who owns a '55 Roadmaster, I'd say that there is a market :-)

Welcome to the forums.

I'm also 26. I think the BCA and AACA will start to see more activity from people our age once student loans, new cars, and other new family type bills are getting paid off.

You guys will be happy to hear the search for my next Buick is moving along as planned. I've been trying to sell most of my modern vehicles, and that's been going pretty well. One of the issues I keep running into is what I should get when the time comes. Last year I stated that I would like to get my hand on something from 54-56. Since I have been looking at all models from 1954-1975. Riv's, Wildcat's, Electra's, RM's, Centurions, Invicta's, Specials, ect... All you dang Buick guys letting me drool over your cars have made it next to impossible to make up my mind. A few more car's have to go before I have to get serious about buying one, but soon....very soon.

I got into this hobby when I was in my 30's. I am now in my 50's. My children are 26 and 16. My 26 year old son just finished his Master's Degree and just started his career. He is active in AACA Judging and plans to own a collector car in the future, but does not yet have one. His sister will be beginning as an AACA Judge soon, and seems to have more expensive taste in antique cars than I do. (meaning I can't really afford the antique car that she currently wants)

We simply need to continue to expose the younger generation to the hobby and the hobby will be OK. I recently purchased the car that I first was interested in when I was in my 20s. I said that I would one day own a 1937 or 1938 Buick Sedan, and now I do.

Dan, since buying the 1937 Century, I need to sell something myself.

I could make you a real deal on a 1954 Buick Special...

This post has 55 retorts and several opinions. Let me pitch Buicks from a modern prospective. I am an early member of the Reatta Div and one of the technical advisor for those cars. Twenty years from now (I will be gone) but many of you younger car guys will remember when Reattas were readily available and pretty cheap. Look at the numbers/attributes that tend to determine collectability of vehicles.

The Reatta was the most expensive Buick built during the 4 model years of its life. There were only 21,751 made in 4 years....some rubber-stamp economy cars make almost that many a week. 19,314 were coupes, in 1990-91 the very low production convertible was release and only 2,437 were made in two model years. It was Buick's premium car and almost everything was standard. It was the first GM car with ABS brakes standard. It was the first 2 passanger Buick since before WWII, and none since. It used the 3800 V6 engine which is one of the best engines ever made...bullet proof and it gets good mileage. Your wife will ride in it because it has A/C, the first two year cars are now 25 years old and qualify for most car shows.

The Reatta may not appeal to many people because it was not a sports car, but it was a well built Buick. Extremely nice, low mileage cars are still out there and the cars are being sold at bargain prices.

Young or old Buick enthusiast should be looking for one of these cars NOW to add to their collection before you wake up some day and say " I should have bought one of those"

Matt,

The 54 is a beauty! My biggest problem is I went on a buying spree about 6 months ago. I brought home another 4 vehicles. That put me at 30. I've since sold 8 of them. I have another 6 that have to go before I can even think about buying another classic. Right now both of my 1950 Plymouths, the 78 Lincoln, and the 77 Firebird are parked outside on tarps. It doesn't bother me to park the newer stuff outside, but in MN leaving a classic outside in the winter never ends well. Road salt gets spread everywhere! I have to get some of these newer cars out of my shop so I have a place to park the classics for the winter.

I don't want you to hold the car for me, but I would be interested as soon as these newer cars are gone. I'll check back in with you once I have a spot for it.

I have had my eye open for a decent low mileage Reatta to come around close to me for a while now. Have always liked them and hope to add one some time soon. Problem is I like too much and don't have the room or money for it all.

Take Matt's car...I would love a '54 and his looks really nice. But, I picked up two cars this summer and am prepping for a baby in the spring. The timing sucks.

Guest Frances1988

Franky, I seem to be in the minority. I have three cars, one my antique Buick obviously. I've tried to share the car love with others of my generation, but they seem massively uniterested in even owning a car, much less a vintage one. Just read this article which talks about that: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/09/the-cheapest-generation/309060/

Franky, I seem to be in the minority. I have three cars, one my antique Buick obviously. I've tried to share the car love with others of my generation, but they seem massively uniterested in even owning a car, much less a vintage one. Just read this article which talks about that: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/09/the-cheapest-generation/309060/

If you don't mind my asking, what region of the country do you live in? I have a lot of friends who love old cars here in MN.

In NYC I have a couple of friends that are just as you describe. No interest in ever owning a car. They just use public transportation to get everywhere.