67 lincoln engine swap?

Guest Skinnywhitelbk

Guest Skinnywhitelbk

I am wanting to buy a doner car and make my 67 lincoln continental fuel ingected. Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of engine I should use or car?

It would be easier to just buy one of those throttle body injection kits from a hot rod catalog if all you want is electronic injection.

You don't even have to take the intake manifold off.

^^^This. There are a lot of self-tuning throttle body systems on the market today. The beauty is that these are bolt-on systems that do not require you to make irreversible changes to your car.

1967 was the last full production year for the MEL 462 (1968 changed over to the Ford 460 early in production)

The MEL 462 is a finely engineered engine , along with the finely engineered uni-body Lincoln.

In my i opinion it would be a shame to separate the MEL 462 from the 67 Lincoln

I'm partial to, in this particular case, a 67 Lincoln engine. Or if you want to impress your friends....A Steam engine.

This is the funniest thing I have read on the list in quite some time! And I agree completely!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking to do a swap in mine as well. I just picked it up last week, she's got a 460 in her right now but I'm looking to do a performance swap for a Ford 521 crate. Priced it out, made some calls and signed up for overtime of course.

That Ford 521 crate motor's going to work just fine with the '67 Lincoln's 3.00 or 2.80 rear axle ratio! Not to forget about the factory Turbo-Drive automatic transmission! Might need a 4.88 rear axle ratio, too.

I concur with Joe, there are plenty of bolt-on self-learning throttle body injection kits out there to consider. Most are in the $2K range for the parts. Edlebrock now has a "sump" kit which mounts underhood, using the factory fuel pump to supply the "sump" with fuel so the internal high pressure pump can then supply fuel to the injection unit. That takes the need for a fuel tank/line modification for the fuel injection unit out of the mix.

If you're going to upgrade the fuel supply system, you might as well upgrade to electronic ignition, too.

"Bolt-on" with "no cutting needed" is usually best, from what I've seen. Plus the car can be returned to its original equipment if desired (later on or by a later owner).

The 460 might be an equally-good motor, but for newer model year Lincolns where it came from the factory. In many ways, the MEL/FE engine design was pretty advanced for its time with MANY design attributes to recommend it over the later "385" family of engines.

Regards,

NTX5467

• 2 months later...
Guest JEFARRAR

All 1967 Lincolns have 462 cu. in. engines. The 460 came the next year. Before 1966 the engines were 430 cu. in.