Corvair

HarryJ

Guest marlin65

HarryJ,

Still lots of nice 60 Corvairs out there. I have the oldest known Canadian 60 sedan. The 60 is the "red headed stepchild" of the Corvair world but great cars. Ed in Florida

Here you go. Will be a drive but rust free.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/4184769352.html

Way too much money for that car.

I have owned 22 Corvairs and still own two currently. They are fun cars, easy to maintain, great vendor support and realtively cheap to buy. I love the 1960 model and as Ed said, they are considered the red headed stepchild but I love them. If you coudl find a 1960 Monza that would a great car to own as they were introduced late in the model year and not a lot of them out there.

Bob

Even though I dislike Ed Cole for what he did to Pontiac Division in the 50's 60's early 70's, If I was starting all over collecting cars Corvair would be one on my list and probably one from 65 or 66. The one thing I did like about Cole was his admiration for VW.

Here's one.... But not for sale.

My sister bought this as her 1st car, ended up going to school at ASU, drove it out and back three times. Not a power house but once the valve cover gaskets were replaced didn't give any major problems for years.

post-36036-143142327875_thumb.jpg

2008 - Out of storage getting ready to trailer down to her home in Tennessee.

post-36036-143142327895_thumb.jpg

1977 - On our way to Mexico from Phoenix for a weekend.

We had a '63 Monza conv. It was a fun car to drive. Not hard to work on, but always needing work it seemed. Owners get plenty of face time with the electrical system, for sure!

Never had any electrical problems myself with the 22 I have owned. There is a connector in the engine compartment that needs to be kept clean and maintained that can cause problems if neglected.

Bob

Although not specific to the '60 Corvair mentioned in the original post, I have nothing but good memories of the '64 Monza Convertible I owned. If I had the extra room and money I'd like to own another someday. Really liked the exhaust sound shifting thru the gears with the top down. Scott...

I wonder if Ralph Nader ever saw that video.

I'm sure he saw the film that was shown of the big three's compact cars. Corvair, Ford Falcon, Plymouth Valiant. In the extensive road test, much of which most cars would never have to endure, the Ford Falcon was the car that rolled over in the testing.

I have had several Corvairs over the years including a 61 4door that was almost identical to the one here. It was a good car, the only problem being the heater which worked, but always pulled in fumes. I also had a Greenbriar van that I really loved and a 66 2 door new style. Would love to find a Greenbriar van or pickup in good shape again.

Never had any electrical problems myself with the 22 I have owned. There is a connector in the engine compartment that needs to be kept clean and maintained that can cause problems if neglected.

Bob

If you never had any electrical probs with a Vair, you are such a rare breed that you probably should be listed in the Guiness Book of Records! Most Corviars experience electrical malfunctions due to loss of proper grounds. Don't take my word for it. Check out the post on the Corvair Center Fourm -http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/

Guest marlin65

Yes the dreaded red wire in the engine compartment connector. Keep it clean or bypass the connector. Never had much of a problem with it. We are lucky to have a couple of great parts sources, new and used.I currently own a 60 sedan and a 61 wagon and am in the long process of restoring an ex-Bell telephone van (Corvan) one of only 6 known and it will be the only restored one known. I'm always interested in purchasing Corvairs (1960-1964) and Corvair trucks (1961-1965). Ed in Dade City, Florida

Guess I'm part of that rare breed too!!

Of our four (4) Corvairs, there were NEVER any electrical problems. Oil leaks in the early days, YES, but not the electrics - just normal maintenance.

The 1960 sedan with Powerglide was driven until being sold in 1969.

The 1965 Corsa convertible with 4-speed & trombone exhausts,

1966 Corsa coupe with 4-speed,

and the 1966 Monza convertible with Powerglide and Posi-Traction,

were all a ball to drive --

and the '60 was especially good for delivering the Sunday morning Newark Star-Ledger during snow storms back in Linden, NJ

Guest Kingoftheroad

I had a friend that owned a 65 & a 66 Corvair, he beat the crap out of those cars, and they kept on running. Aside from the initial mechanical work the cars needed when he bought them, those Corvairs kept running til he sold them years later. Fun cars !