1955 BUICK SPECIAL 264 W/DYNAFLOW ... PARTS MISSING - HEEEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!

Guest Roadster911

Guest Roadster911

I'm starting new thread to have it all together.

I'm very close to finishing my year-long project. Started out badly as I got taken by a con-artist mechanic who broke the engine apart, collected deposit and let it sit for months...after some police and DA action, I got my stuff and most of my money back. Engine was in boxes which inevitably means I'm missing parts. All in all I got 99% back but came to a dead stop yesterday when realized I don't have couple of the essential brackets, especially the one that holds the kickdown linkage rod/throatle linkage in place {red circle}.

While researching the issue I realized I'm also missing another bracket for dipstick tube {I miss the tube as well - blue and yellow circle}.

Plus, my flywheel dust cover is also gone.

Please, anyone out there with spare parts, let me know. I can't move forward without it.

OR if there's a way around it tell me...

Thank you very much.

Roman

post-89251-143142196232_thumb.jpg

post-89251-143142196233_thumb.jpg

post-89251-143142196235_thumb.jpg

post-89251-143142196489_thumb.jpg

See Personal Messages.

Also, those with Master Parts Books, the book I just got shows a group # 3.464 for this bracket ( which they call a support) but the group is not listed. I am not missing pages but I am thinking I missed something in the using the book? Can you check to see if you show this group and if there is any difference in this support?

Thanks

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

Guest Roadster911

Update on Friday 9/20/13:

Willie "old tank" to the rescue as always :) . Spoke with him and am getting the linkage brackets as we speak, thank you Willie!

I'm still on the hunt for the flywheel dust cover, 'inspection' plate on Dynaflow right next to the dust cover, throttle return spring with bracket, ignition wire brackets and 2 hood bolts. Many of you responded and have promised to check for the parts, here's a fresh list of what I'm looking for {see pictures}. Thank you in advance.

And thank you Willie one more time!

Roman

post-89251-143142199296_thumb.jpg

post-89251-1431421993_thumb.jpg

post-89251-143142199302_thumb.jpg

Guest Roadster911

Anybody watch out for member 'ecool' , He was one of the first guys to offer help with parts I'm looking for. Asked for MoneyGram payment to England and when asked for pictures of the parts he said he had, he stopped communicating. His name and email are Phillip McCord <heisable89@gmail.com> - it lead to discovery of spam report from another {Porsche} forum .. be on the look out.

THX to all the legit guys who are trying to help me.

Roman

Guest Roadster911

Update as of 9/25/13:

Got brakets from Willie only to realize I'm missing the essential part of that setup - the big arm that holds the kickdown rod {only got lower braket that holds the arm - didn't know it was a 2-piece part until I got the bracket}. Anyone out there has one, please let me know. Unlike the other parts, this is a must-have.

All other parts have been found with Mud and JohnD1956 :)

Thank you very much.

post-89251-143142205492_thumb.jpg

post-89251-143142205518_thumb.jpg

Guest Roadster911
If the stator control pivot is all you are lacking you should be able to put the accelerator linkage together and have that part working. Let me know if that works...I have the part you need, just want to be sure that is ALL that you need.

Willie

We just talked...here's a picture of what I have in it, I just placed it there loosely, bolted the accelerator linkage to the 'Y' bracket and all that seems to be missing is the upper arm for the rod that stick out at this point.

Thank you very much, Roman

post-89251-143142206412_thumb.jpg

post-89251-143142206441_thumb.jpg

Guest Roadster911

I installed everything today; waiting for the shop guys to sort out their stuff and we're ready to fire up.

Many thanks to Willie, Mudbone and JohnD who offered parts just for shipping! Please accept some beer-money nevertheless. Cheers and thank you very much!

Roman

post-89251-143142214091_thumb.jpg

post-89251-143142214122_thumb.jpg

post-89251-143142214149_thumb.jpg

post-89251-143142214176_thumb.jpg

It looks like you are missing the oil fill cap and the road draft tube? That yard I went into just shut down the parts pickers...

Hopefully those parts are just waiting their turn or that left coast state is requiring a pcv valve :D.

Tip: replace those original power steering hoses! When (not if) the high pressure line sprays a mist of fluid on the hot manifold you will end up with a 'crispy-critter'. Have the hoses duplicated locally and try to match the constricted section on the high pressure hose, otherwise it will be noisy.

More tips or ranting: replace all rubber parts like brake hoses, fuel line from the steel line to the pump, hoses and belts ( did you hear about the dumb-ass that tried to drive to South Bend with belts that were replaced 90,000 miles ago )<-- I resemble that remark :P

Willie

Guest Roadster911

Like Willie said, rest of the parts are waiting their turn, I have them.

I had the PCV valve going on originally, Willie is right again.... didn't get my original valve covers and so I'm not planning to do that. In fact, I looked the other day and I couldn't find the other plug for the PCV hose I still have. Where did it plug originally, on the carb somewhere?? I have 2 pictures of the motor before it was disassembled and I can't tell where it's going.

I did try to search for new power steering hoses... sounds like they cannot be bought, only custom made, is that right?? Will look into that.

Brakes on this car have been done few years ago, most rubber all around looks replaced not too long ago. Car was daily driver until 2008.

Thanks for the tips!!

post-89251-143142216552_thumb.jpg

post-89251-143142216591_thumb.jpg

An interesting PCV system, which probably did not work well the way it was. I see fresh unfiltered air from the air cleaner to the oil fill cap, and then a PCV valve in the front of the pass side valve cover going to what looks like a spacer under the carb. But I also see the road draft tube. The road draft tube should act as a suction when moving, to evacuate the fumes from the motor, and it is quite large, so just how effective could the PCV have even been?

Guest Roadster911
The yellow arrow piece is the cover for the heater core. I have no idea what that silver thing is. Probably an after market vacuum canister for power brakes? That pic isn't of a stock 55. Maybe a 56 or a modified 55. I can't tell on my iPhone.

Ok, so I'm missing an important part of the heating system. .. here we go again. Anyone out there has or know of a spare???

Thank you.

Ok, the picture in post #30 is from probably a 57...throw it away before it confuses all of us!

The pictures in post #19 shows a missing duct that goes from the blower housing to the heater/defroster. There are also some heater hoses shown in that area...where do these go on your car? What do you have on the inside of the car passenger side behind the kick panel? Pictures?

Guest Roadster911

What I have inside is this. It's bolted to the side firewall.

post-89251-1431422211_thumb.jpg

I'm missing this

post-89251-143142221105_thumb.jpg

I didn't know I was missing it. The hose from heater valve goes back to radiator as of now.

Under dash I have everything complete, working order but the core and box must have been taken out. It makes all good sense now because under there was the only spot with little rust on floor, everywhere else the floor was fabulous....

post-89251-143142221103_thumb.jpg

Guest Roadster911

Deleted.

So you guys don't have the silver cylinder on your cars and I should just disregard it as a extra part I was given with the pile of my parts, ok?

Back to the heater/defroster box.... can't find it anywhere so far. I'll run it as is I guess... good thing I'm in so cal, rarely need heater. I got the one under seat but not sure it works. I replaced the one on firewall and it works, but no core... Worst case scenario, a makeshift box with other aftermarket core would work as well, right?

I agree with Old Tank. Delete post #30. It isn't a 55.

Deleted.

So you guys don't have the silver cylinder on your cars and I should just disregard it as a extra part I was given with the pile of my parts, ok?

Back to the heater/defroster box.... can't find it anywhere so far. I'll run it as is I guess... good thing I'm in so cal, rarely need heater. I got the one under seat but not sure it works. I replaced the one on firewall and it works, but no core... Worst case scenario, a makeshift box with other aftermarket core would work as well, right?

I'm in Orange and may have one for you...

Guest Roadster911
I'm in Orange and may have one for you...

Hi Douglas, PM sent yesterday. Give me a call when you can. Thank you.

Roman

If you car has power brakes there is a similar canister driver side inside rear frame.

http://forums.aaca.org/f163/55-century-66r-project-292364.html somewhere in Mudbone's thread there should be a picture.

Willie