1952 Buick Super for Sale

Guest vanessa11277

Guest vanessa11277

post-92061-143141824491_thumb.jpgHello Buick Lovers,

I have a 1952 Buick Super I inherited from its original owner, my grandfather, I woud like to sell. Everything on the car is original, including the 25,000 miles. However, I don't know how much to ask for it. Should I pay for an appraisal? Also, the car is not running and was stored in a garage for the last 20 years, at least. Shoud I get the car running before I try to sell it? What do you recommend?

Vanessa

P.S.

The box in the back seat of the car contains original documents, such as manuals, ads, and old maps.

post-92061-143141824522_thumb.jpg

post-92061-143141824554_thumb.png

post-92061-143141824557_thumb.png

Edited by vanessa11277 (see edit history)

Location ?

Was it in regular use before it was parked ?

Any documentation to prove its only 25,000 miles (or 125,000)

Photo's would help

A car that runs is worth more than a car that does not run

A car that runs and drives is worth more than a car than does not run

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

A professional appraisal is really the best way to go. It should cost between $300 and $400. Be sure to tell the appraiser you intend to sell the car. They may be able to put you in contact with a buyer.

There are a lot of precautions to take when starting a car that has set for 20 years. You don't want to drag those pistons up and down dry cylinder walls that might have a layer of rust. You can jam an engine tight that way. Pulling stale fuel through a dry rusty line and pump is not good either. And I have found spiders in carburetors plugging jets.

Brake fluid has an affinity for water it settles to the low points in brake lines and rusts them.

Twenty year old tires need replacement too.

If you consider a salable car to be one you could drive two miles into town, pick up a gallon of milk, and get home without a life altering event you are looking at around $3,000 to spend. A non-running car needs at least that much plus other unforeseen expenses.

Body style has a lot to do with it. A convertible or pillarless hardtop are real good. A four door sedan, not so good. And after 20 years how does in smell inside? A new interior could cost $8,000 installed and its about the only way to get rid of mold deep in the seats.

A 1952 Super with 25K probably would have sold for $1,000 around 1990, another grand for a convertible. The appraisal will give you a good non-sentimental value.

I have too many cars now so you are safe if you email me for advice.

Bernie

What body style is it? That makes all the difference in value. If it's a rusty 4-door sedan, it would not make much sense to spend $300-400 for an appraisal, but if it is a very nice car with 25,000 actual miles, $300-400 might be well spent. You can also look on Ebay and see what a similar car, similar condition, similar body style, sells for. Also, any buyer is going to want to know if the engine is stuck or if it will turn over.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Guest vanessa11277
A professional appraisal is really the best way to go. It should cost between $300 and $400. Be sure to tell the appraiser you intend to sell the car. They may be able to put you in contact with a buyer.

There are a lot of precautions to take when starting a car that has set for 20 years. You don't want to drag those pistons up and down dry cylinder walls that might have a layer of rust. You can jam an engine tight that way. Pulling stale fuel through a dry rusty line and pump is not good either. And I have found spiders in carburetors plugging jets.

Brake fluid has an affinity for water it settles to the low points in brake lines and rusts them.

Twenty year old tires need replacement too.

If you consider a salable car to be one you could drive two miles into town, pick up a gallon of milk, and get home without a life altering event you are looking at around $3,000 to spend. A non-running car needs at least that much plus other unforeseen expenses.

Body style has a lot to do with it. A convertible or pillarless hardtop are real good. A four door sedan, not so good. And after 20 years how does in smell inside? A new interior could cost $8,000 installed and its about the only way to get rid of mold deep in the seats.

A 1952 Super with 25K probably would have sold for $1,000 around 1990, another grand for a convertible. The appraisal will give you a good non-sentimental value.

I have too many cars now so you are safe if you email me for advice.

Bernie

Thank you for your advice! Can you recommend how I would find an appraiser?

Vanessa,

Here is a link to one of the appraisal companies I've developed a respect for:

Appraisals of Vehicles | I-VAN Appraises Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, Boats, and More

of course there are others, as well who are also well respected - I just haven't worked with them, but they (I-van) are certainly among the "Good-Guys" in my opinion, and have hobbiests in many areas.

please feel free to contact me by clicking on my name at upper left of this post.

Where are you located?

Guest Rob McDonald

VANESSA, value of an old car depends hugely on condition and body style, as the guys here have said. Where you live effects value, too. The National Auto Dealers Association (NADA) has a very convenient website that gives rough values for all sorts of cars - 1952 Buick 50 Super 4 Door Sedan Value, Prices & Specs | NADAguides | NADA 1952 Buick 50 Super Book Value & 1952 Buick 50 Super Market Price

NADA says a '52 Super 4-door sedan is worth from $5675 for a solid, drivable car in presentable shape to $14,150 for a spectacular restored or almost perfect preserved original car. If your car hasn't been garaged very carefully and needs work to run and drive safely, Bernie's right, expect to spend about $3000 to make it saleable. That could still leave a couple of thousand or more in your pocket, while finding your grandfather's pride and joy a good home.

You're on the right track though - find an experienced appraiser who can not only establish a value but could also suggest a work plan for bringing the car up to scratch. He would probably also give you some referrals to local shops that can do this sort of work. Good luck, and one more tip - post some pictures here and you'll get even more advice!

How would I provide proof the car has 25,000 original miles?
Do you have any paper work:- receipts, service records, the original purchase document. Even a photo of an oil change sticker with date & mileage helps.

Telling us where you live (or where the car is) would help

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

WHAT BODY STYLE IS IT???????????????????????????????????????? WHERE IS IT LOCATED?????????? Can't operate with so little information!!!!

You missed the key word in her Post #1......Grandfather.

Just saying Grandfather is another name for a four-door sedan automobile. My money is on a Model 52.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

Pete! Capital letters and all those question marks! Marks, interesting term. While you wait for missing information on the inherited, grandfather's, 25,000 mile Buick Super check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqVrxGFNww0

If you need sequins you can find them under New York State vehicles, brown flaky ones.

Bernie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vanessa11277

The car is located in Chino Hills, CA. The car has probably been unused for about 40-50 years. The car is not in running condition. I don't think I have documentation to prove the mileage. I will post photos.

Guest vanessa11277

Thank you for your response. The car is a 4 door sedan. The car is not running. I'm not sure about the engine.

Guest Rob McDonald

Wow, this is really nice. Zoom in on the carpet in the rear compartment - it looks like new. I don't know these interiors real well but if those aren't seat covers, the original upholstery is excellent. Sunlight is beaming in on a place at the bottom of the back door, which is alway rotted on a Buick that's ever sat outside for too long. This one looks excellent and the Terrace Green paint is very lively. Come on, you Californians, go have a look at this dusty beauty.

Yes, rather then get an appraisal, perhaps one of our members can go take a look as a courtesy to both Vanessa and the Buick collector community. I would love to own this car. Not enough information to determine 25,000 miles but as Rob noted, a Buick of this age with 125,000 would be far more challenged. I looked at a 49 Roadmaster 2 years ago with about the same mileage that was much worse, storage matters.

1952 Super? Is that a 263 Straight 8 engine? I'm on the road with no reference materials.

Yes, rather then get an appraisal, perhaps one of our members can go take a look as a courtesy to both Vanessa and the Buick collector community. I would love to own this car. Not enough information to determine 25,000 miles but as Rob noted, a Buick of this age with 125,000 would be far more challenged. I looked at a 49 Roadmaster 2 years ago with about the same mileage that was much worse, storage matters.

1952 Super? Is that a 263 Straight 8 engine? I'm on the road with no reference materials.

Yes, Jake, a 263. Beautiful!!! Someone will get a great car.

Ben

Guest vanessa11277

Hi Rob,

I just got an offer of $4500 for the car from an appraiser who found a buyer. Do you think this is a fair price?

Thanks,

Vanessa

hi vanessa, all 1952 buick models had a straight eight engine, the roadmaster with the 320 cid engine, the super and special with the 263 cid engine. the offer of $4,500.00 is close to being fair, i wouldn't take less than $5,000.00 for the car, fewer and fewer of these nice original cars are left to be found and bought. you might consider listing this beauty on ebay with a reserve price that must be met before the car can be sold. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Guest Rob McDonald

VANESSA, I recommend you accept the $4500 offer. A bird in the hand...

Assuming NADA's values are reasonable, this offer is just $1175 below Low Retail, which NADA defines as: "...in mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most usable 'as-is'. "

Although clearly this Buick has been well stored, it's still going to take a couple of thousand dollars worth of work to get it running dependably and being the real joy to drive that it certainly can be. Unless you want to spend the next couple of months paying local shops to bring this car up to snuff, then hoping for another motivated buyer, I think you should let it go now.

You've served your grandfather's memory well by asking all the right questions here. When his Buick does leave your possession, please give it a good rinse with a garden hose and take some pictures of it being loaded onto the trailer. We'd all love to see this beauty out in the daylight!

I agree with Rob. And Charles. To be a $5000+ car it would need more detailing and work. For $4500, it goes away and someone else has to bring it back up to show level condition. Take the $4500.

Guest oldcar15

VANESSA, YOUR PICTURE SPEAKS ALOT FOR THE CONDITION AND WEAR/TEAR IE MILEAGE OF THE CAR.

IT APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN A GARAGE KEPT LOW MILEAGE CAR THAT WOULD BRING MAXIMUM

VALUE VERSUS OTHER SIMILAR CARS.

I HAVE HAD SEVERAL 1952/1953 BUICKS.

WHILE CONVERTIBLES ARE THE MOST VALUEABLE 1952S, AND THE TWO DORRS

THE NEXT MOST VALUEABLE, YOUR 4 DOOR AT FIRST GLANCE SEEMS VERY

CLEAN AND IN EXCELLENT CONDITION.

THAT BEING SAID, WITHOUT SEEING THE HEADLINER, MOULDINGS, UNDERCARRIAGE,

ENGINE COMPARTMENT ETC. IT IS HARD TO TELL MORE.

GETTING THE ENGINE RUNNING WOULD GREAT INCREASE VALUE BUT... YOU SHOULD

DRAIN AND REFILL CRITICAL FLUIDS WITH THE CORRECT REQUIRED FLUIDS, AND

THEN CHECK EVERYTHING OUT CAREFULLY BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO SPIN THE ENGINE

OVER.

I WOULD BE GLAD TO HELP WITH ADVICE OR EVEN CHECKING OUT THE CAR IF YOU ARE

CLOSE.

I AM SENTIMENTAL OVER ALL OLD CARS AND TRUCK, ESPECIALLY BUICKS.

MARK

443-622-1186

Guest shadetree77

I also agree. The $4500 is a very fair price for the car. It is in nice stored condition but Rob is right about it taking at least a few $1000 to get it back on the road. Not to mention all the time involved. If you were to pay a shop to do all of that I don't think you would profit much at all from the extra effort. At $4500 you will get a fair price and someone will get a beautiful survivor car to work on. Don't let them beat you up on the price though! I wouldn't take a penny less than the $4500 offered. I also agree with Rob about the pictures. I would love to see the car out in the daylight before it changes hands. Good luck with your sale!

Venessa, there is a gem under that dust. Looking at the pictures, the interior looks to be road ready. The paint some polish. Air the tires. Change the fluids and get it running if possible. I would agree with Robert that $4500.00 is a good starting point if not dead on what you should ask for the Buick.

Who knows, you might see this Buick in it's shiny glory and keep it for yourself. ;)

Post more pictures if you are able. This will help others offer more advise and suggestions in getting the most out of the Buick for you.

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)