Buick Rescue - 1951 Special, Model 41D - $1,000

TxBuicks

Buick Rescue Service Mission Statement:</SPAN>

Buick Rescue Service’s mission is to</SPAN></SPAN> rescue abandoned and neglected classic Buicks in order to place them in good, loving homes. Our goal is to locate and obtain these Buicks, give them a safe place to stay until they can be adopted into a good home. Our operation will not be based on the idea of turning a quick profit and taking advantage of these old Buicks. We will, instead, keep our operating costs down as much as possible and offer these Buicks back to the public as inexpensively as possible, thus creating an opportunity for someone to get into the Buick hobby affordably. We will do a minimum amount of work to these Buicks in order to keep our operating costs down and to give the adoptive owners the thrill of nursing the Buick back to health. We will try to keep them the way we found them. When we obtain these Buicks, we will determine their condition as best as possible, and we will give an honest and complete description of each Buick in our possession. Pictures will be available upon request. Also, each Buick adopted will come with a year’s membership in the Buick Club of America.</SPAN>

1951 Special 4-door Sedan, Model 41D:</SPAN>

General: This is a very complete Buick from San Antonio, TX. It is not missing anything. It has been sitting outside on a gravel driveway. Its last documented registration was in 1995. The current owner inherited it with some land and is selling the land, thus making the Buick abandoned. According to the current owner, the previous owner drove it until it developed an exhaust leak and would no longer pass the Texas state vehicle inspection. There is evidence of that story, as I found tubes of exhaust leak caulking in the trunk. The odometer shows 78,000 miles, which I believe is true. It is now in Denton, TX.</SPAN>

Body: It has a very solid, thick, and straight body, with no dents or major scrapes. It has lots of surface rust, but no rust through showing on any body panels or rockers. The floor pans are rusted under the original rubber floor mats, with some areas rusted through. </SPAN>

Glass: None of the glass is cracked, except for the small left rear vent glass. But it has some yellowing due to age. The tail lights are solid but show their age. One of the front parking lights is broken.</SPAN>

Trim: The stainless trim pieces are all there, and all very nice and straight. There is one large scrape on the large portion of the passenger side sweepspear. It is not missing a single piece of trim. The pot metal pieces are all dull and pitted due to moisture and outdoor elements. The bumpers are solid and straight with very little rust. Any minor dents can be straightened. The front grille and grille bars are solid with no cracks or breaks. </SPAN>

Interior: The headliner is original and not ripped, but has some discoloration. The door panels are original and very nice condition. The only bad spots are under the vent glasses in the rear where it appears to have leaked over the years. Easily fixed, though. The dash is in excellent condition, as is the steering wheel. It looks like the glove box lock broke so a latch was installed to hold it closed. The seats have been recovered, but the original fabric is under the covers. I am not sure about the condition of the original seat fabric because I am not going to take the seat covers off to look at it. There are no major rips in the seat covers. It has the original rubber floor matting throughout the whole interior, but it is very hard and brittle.</SPAN>

Engine: The engine is very complete, with no obvious parts missing. I did not try to start it, but I can turn the engine over by hand, so I know it is not locked up. It looks like it would start with a minimum amount of effort. Of course, it will need a battery and complete fuel system and carburetor restoration to run on its own.</SPAN>

Transmission: Dynaflow.</SPAN>

Tires: All the tires were flat when I first saw it. They would air up and hold air long enough to get it on the trailer. Except for the left rear, which was so badly rusted it would not hold air. We replaced it with the spare wheel and tire in the trunk. This spare tire looks to be the original spare or a very old, correct replacement. It is an Allstate tire (7.60 x 15) and looks like it has never been used. So, you have 4 good wheels, and one good spare tire. But it will at least roll for a little while before they go flat again.</SPAN>

Brakes: The brakes are not locked up and all the wheels spin with a little effort. But the entire brake system will need to be reviewed and restored as needed before it can be driven safely.</SPAN>

Trunk: The trunk is in very good condition, with absolutely no rust. Even the tire well is solid. It has all the original cardboard and liners. It also has the original tire jack with all the pieces, and the original pieces to hold the spare tire in place. The trunk lid is as solid as can be, with absolutely no rust on the edges. Inside the trunk was an old water pump and voltage regulator, so I can assume those had been replaced.</SPAN>

Price: You can adopt this Buick for $1,000.

I will post more pictures this weekend when I have time to unload them from the camera.</SPAN>

post-31046-143141774113_thumb.jpg

post-31046-143141774124_thumb.jpg

post-31046-143141774134_thumb.jpg

post-31046-143141774144_thumb.jpg

Great job Roy...

Although I have never found an abandoned prewar Buick in such complete condition, I have rescued many prewar Buick parts from scrappers etc.. Like you, I resell these parts at my cost to get more of these older girls back on the road...

I currently have a 29 Buick 80-90 series rear end that is available for $100 (One tank of gas and the $50 I paid the scrapper for it.) I also have radiators, transmissions, etc that may also find their way into other prewar cars.

If forum members post in the Buy/Sell section, I will contact you if I have something you need. It is always best to post photos, year, and model.

Guest shadetree77

Wow. Great find Roy. I applaud you for trying to save her. That would make a great start for a restoration project. It looks to be in about the same shape as my '52 was in when I bought it. Perhaps even a tiny bit better. And you can't beat that price. I paid double that for mine. Hope it goes to a good home. If I was about 800 miles closer I might even consider it. Do you have any shots of the engine compartment? Good Luck!

Guest 48buickkid

It's a nice save don't get discouraged, if that car was in that shape and up north at that price it would have been gone by now. If there was a way I could sell my buick and pay for the shipping costs on yours I would but Ohio is far shot from Texas. I don't no why but most people seem to shun the 4 door models too especially the specials.

Roy

It's a nice collector car and your description means a lot to potential buyers. The problem is the low number of people doing projects. It takes a while to find that right person. Transport, with gas at $3.60 a gallon here in Iowa, means that most people outside of a certain radius would not go after a 41D. That's a shame, because as I see it, that would be a fun car to restore and tour in. It has the more economical motor. I have heard of early 50's Buick owners getting 17-18 mpg even with a Dynaflow. Plenty of room and nice style.

If someone wanted it, and was serious about restoring it, I would even go in $500 to help them buy it. That's money well spent and anyone that knows me knows I am serious. Money is not the issue for me right now, it's space and a need to do the 3 Buicks I already have, that I have saved from the same fate. So, anyone need purchase assistance, let me know.

Of the 2 cars you recently posted I like this one better. Those dashes and interiors, nice body.

Alright, I'm going to chime in here. I have been watching this thread since it was first posted and just hoping that someone will save that awesome buick. I love that patina! It looks like a good solid car to restore, but it seems shipping is the sore spot for most and they have a right to be concerned. I have never had a car shipped before, but I have heard a lot of hoar stories about the cars being shipped. Damage has a way of showing up and no one takes responsibility. It's been expensive recently with gas so high(especially these days at $3.80 a gall). I think the going rate for shipping is $2 a mile now. It's hard to find cars like that up here in Ohio as someone mentioned. I have the room and wouldn't mind another toy, but the shipping just wouldn't be very friendly even though the car is just $1000. Roy, it's just going to take your patience. I'm sure someone will step in before long to rescue her that isn't too far away. I admire what you are doing for the hobby! Darren

Alright, I'm going to chime in here. I have been watching this thread since it was first posted and just hoping that someone will save that awesome buick. I love that patina! It looks like a good solid car to restore, but it seems shipping is the sore spot for most and they have a right to be concerned. I have never had a car shipped before, but I have heard a lot of hoar stories about the cars being shipped. Damage has a way of showing up and no one takes responsibility. It's been expensive recently with gas so high(especially these days at $3.80 a gall). I think the going rate for shipping is $2 a mile now. It's hard to find cars like that up here in Ohio as someone mentioned. I have the room and wouldn't mind another toy, but the shipping just wouldn't be very friendly even though the car is just $1000. Roy, it's just going to take your patience. I'm sure someone will step in before long to rescue her that isn't too far away. I admire what you are doing for the hobby! Darren

Shipping an automobile is not as bad as one might think. I have shipped several cars and the last one cost me under $500 from Chicago, IL to Raleigh, NC (about half-way across the country) on an open carrier. Best way to go is on Uship for competitive quotes. You will generally need to add about $200 for a non-running car.

For example Uship quotes a price of $1025 to ship a GMC Jimmy from San Jose CA to Raleigh NC (coast to coast) for a distance of 2802 miles. That works out to 36 cents per mile. Note that this price quote is before any competitive bidding on Uship, so I believe that the final price would be even less.

Thanks,

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)

I could deliver it for only my gas and food expenses, and any overnight expenses should I need to stay somewhere overnight. Especially to Minnesota. I want an excuse to take a trailer to Minessota anyway. Lets talk about it.

CAUTION!!!!!! I've seen this guy eat before!!!

Sorry about the above poke Roy, couldn't resist....

This is great that you are doing this Roy. Sort of like a pay it forward thing.... I'm curious, is this something you are doing on your own or would you welcome others to make offers too. If so, maybe rename it and sticky it in the Buy/Sell. Would there need to be a Gentlemans Agreement that the purchaser is not buying for resale? I am looking at a 2 door Roadmaster I really don't need (did I really just say that, I need to check the meds Rita has been puttin out for me) but it may be a candidate for this type of deal.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Mr. Earl,

Notice I didn't say 'drink expenses'. That would have put it out of reach for most people.

This is something I thought of, and trying to do on my own. For now. I come across a lot of Buicks that I think are 'no lose' situations, but do not have the money, storage, nor resources to acquire them on my own with thoughts of restoring. And I've been hearing for years that the hobby is just too expensive to get into, and I don't want to believe it. So, taking a strategy from the dog rescue services, I decided to try the Buick Rescue Service. It is my mission to save these Buicks that would normally sit in a yard, shed, warehouse, or garage forever until the new owner of the property decides to discard them. I will be the foster family for them. I want to offer these for sale at my cost, so as to keep the cost down as much as possible. It would thrill me to have someone buy their first Buick project from the Buick Rescue Service. Like any adoption agency, I plan on keeping up with the progress of each Buick adopted. I cannot dictate what happens to the Buicks that I handle after they leave my care, but I would hope the new adoptive family keeps them for a while. I am not in it for the profit. I like the 'pay it forward' concept, so if anyone else wants to participate in this mission, I would certainly welcome any help or advice. I know there are others like me out there. I've met them.

So far, it has not worked out too well. I have this 1951 Special and a 1970 Riviera that are looking for homes now. To date, I have only tried this forum, but I will start putting ads in the Buick Bugle with hopes of reaching a larger Buick audience.

As far as delivering them cross country, we might have to meet halfway. Unlike some people we know on this forum who just retired, I still have an 8-5 office job with limited vacation time, most of which is spent at the BCA Nationals and Jeff Brashares's Annual Arthritus Car Show every year. So anything I can do over a weekend I would consider.

Well, great idea and you are to be commended for it. You should certainly receive some Buick karma for it.

If I wasn't so dang stuck on these 54's I'd invite you to bring the '51 to Buick Gardens some weekend.

Maybe I'll buy the Roady and flip it for a few hundred then.... ;)

Shipping an automobile is not as bad as one might think. I have shipped several cars and the last one cost me under $500 from Chicago, IL to Raleigh, NC (about half-way across the country) on an open carrier. Best way to go is on Uship for competitive quotes. You will generally need to add about $200 for a non-running car.

For example Uship quotes a price of $1025 to ship a GMC Jimmy from San Jose CA to Raleigh NC (coast to coast) for a distance of 2802 miles. That works out to 36 cents per mile. Note that this price quote is before any competitive bidding on Uship, so I believe that the final price would be even less.

Thanks,

Now that example for shipping is much more reasonable than I was lead to believe. I probably really didn't need to read this. Got me thinking now. My suggestion would be that you don't reveal your address or my wife may coma after ya!

Thanks,

Now that example for shipping is much more reasonable than I was lead to believe. I probably really didn't need to read this. Got me thinking now. My suggestion would be that you don't reveal your address or my wife may coma after ya!

With the weekend coming up, I don't think I can resist the urge to tinker with this Buick. Is it alright to connect a 12 volt battery to it just to see if the lights, radio, blowers, etc. are working? I don't want to blow any fuses, burn any wires, or do any other worse damage. I just don't have a 6 volt battery lying around. And I will definately not try to start it. What about trying my 6 volt battery charger? Do you think that would act as a 6 volt battery? I am sure the battery in it is shot after sitting for so long.

NO!!! Don't hook a 12v battery to it. It'll blow everything. If you know of a farmer ask him if you could borrow a battery from him, or you might be able to get a used battery at a battery warehouse. A 6v charger won't have enough juice to power up anything unless it is a circuit at a time, and that might not even be possible. Wish I was there to help. That'd be awesome to see it come to life after so long. Darren

If i was more mechanically inclined I would buy this is a heartbeat...I just don't posses the skills to do a restore of this type :(

Plus we'd have to figure out how to get it to NC.

Might just need to buy this and store in my building until I've got enough money to have someone restore it.

Edited by trafalger (see edit history)

Roy - I love the mission statement and the pay it forward concept. If you do come up to MN, you know I'm not that far away....

Shoot, in terms of investors in the effort, there's a moderator around here from Georgia that is retarded, oops, retired, who has been known to have some trailer adventures. You find them and buy them and he travels the country staying out of Rita's hair. Of course, that may just mean he'd come across more '54s that would get dragged back to occupy Buick Gardens.

Now, the '52 was running, and it's a Roadmaster, but I paid three times as much for a car that needs a lot more body work a number of years back...if Suzanne didn't like the style so much, I'd have looked to move it to a home that has fewer projects in line ahead of it.

I did happen to find a home for the '26 McLaughlin-Buick carcass that I'd hauled home a couple years ago. Next up is to get the '54 parts car into the shop and dismantle it.

• 3 weeks later...