Sign in to follow this  
TxBuicks

Buick Rescue - 1951 Special, Model 41D - $1,000

With the weekend coming up, I don't think I can resist the urge to tinker with this Buick. Is it alright to connect a 12 volt battery to it just to see if the lights, radio, blowers, etc. are working? I don't want to blow any fuses, burn any wires, or do any other worse damage. I just don't have a 6 volt battery lying around. And I will definately not try to start it. What about trying my 6 volt battery charger? Do you think that would act as a 6 volt battery? I am sure the battery in it is shot after sitting for so long.

NO!!! Don't hook a 12v battery to it. It'll blow everything. If you know of a farmer ask him if you could borrow a battery from him, or you might be able to get a used battery at a battery warehouse. A 6v charger won't have enough juice to power up anything unless it is a circuit at a time, and that might not even be possible. Wish I was there to help. That'd be awesome to see it come to life after so long. Darren

Roy

Put some water in that old battery and charge for 24 hours. Those old 6v batteries are more forgiving than current 12v and it may revive enough to do the testing.

Willie

Dick, I sent you an email to the address you provided. Have your friend in Dallas come look at it.

I guess Dick is not interested in it afterall, since his post was deleted. Still for sale, advertised in May Bugle for $950. That's as low as I can go without losing any money.

If i was more mechanically inclined I would buy this is a heartbeat...I just don't posses the skills to do a restore of this type :(

Plus we'd have to figure out how to get it to NC.

Might just need to buy this and store in my building until I've got enough money to have someone restore it.

Edited by trafalger (see edit history)

Roy - I love the mission statement and the pay it forward concept. If you do come up to MN, you know I'm not that far away....

Shoot, in terms of investors in the effort, there's a moderator around here from Georgia that is retarded, oops, retired, who has been known to have some trailer adventures. You find them and buy them and he travels the country staying out of Rita's hair. Of course, that may just mean he'd come across more '54s that would get dragged back to occupy Buick Gardens.

Now, the '52 was running, and it's a Roadmaster, but I paid three times as much for a car that needs a lot more body work a number of years back...if Suzanne didn't like the style so much, I'd have looked to move it to a home that has fewer projects in line ahead of it.

I did happen to find a home for the '26 McLaughlin-Buick carcass that I'd hauled home a couple years ago. Next up is to get the '54 parts car into the shop and dismantle it.

Yes, I still have it. I wasn't early enough to get it in the April issue, as they need a six week lead time. It will be in the May issue for $950.

I have spent a little over $900 to get it safely to my house. I can show you the receipts. I have an ad coming out in the May Bugle for $950, but I will sell it for $900 if you can do that now.

I have spent a little over $900 to get it safely to my house. I can show you the receipts. I have an ad coming out in the May Bugle for $950, but I will sell it for $900 if you can do that now.

god i wish this was closer to me..it's killing me

How can i get this shipped to NC...i need ideas people!!

I recommend that you try Uship. Should cost around $500 or so from Texas to NC.

Edited by MrEarl
Removed needless, inappropriate comment that could be discouraging to the potential buyer (see edit history)

Received this from my PM to Michael letting him know I had edited his post and hoped he understood.....

Sure no problem. Unfortunately I phrased the message wrong as my intention was the opposite. The potential buyer seemed to be hesitant about purchasing the car based on the cost of shipping which in reality does not seem to be a deal breaker. Contrary to what many people seem to believe, shipping cost for an automobile has actually fallen considerably over the last decade or so.

thanks for your kind response Michael

I too have seen shipping rates decline in the last few months. They went sky high a couple of years ago but I guess the haulers have seen they are just going to have to sleep on the road more, keep the pedal off the floor and eat more Spam sandwiches in order to stay in business.

If Roy and I can work out the logistics I've offered to buy the car :)

I'm just working out shipping now and Roy is going to try to find some tires so she'll roll around.

Cross your fingers :)

Has anyone here ever used uship? I'm trying to get a quote on shipping the car but it acts like it wants me to let people bid on it instead of getting a quote. I want to check prices before i commit but it doesn't look like it's letting me do that. Any ideas? I've also reached out to McNutt to see what they can do.

Uship is like eBay in reverse. As the person who is wanting to ship a car from one point to another, shippers will bid against each other for your shipment. In eBay you are bidding against others who want to purchase a given item and the price (in general) rises over time. With Uship the price will tend to drop over the term of the listing. eBay has a "Buy it now" feature that allows you to purchase an item for a set price immediately. There is a similar feature in uship that will allow you to set your price and then a potential shipper must meet that price if they want the job. I have had good success with that feature in the past, but note that you have to be reasonable in your set price if you intend to attract shippers. There is some negotiation that often takes place between the consignee and the shipper, but that is to be expected. You are at the beginning of your listing and like eBay the final price is usually not the opening bid.

Thanks,

Here is a quote from BJM in post #10. I talked to him and he is serious with this offer. It is not a loan, but a donation. You can use it to offset the cost of shipping.

"If someone wanted it, and was serious about restoring it, I would even go in $500 to help them buy it. That's money well spent and anyone that knows me knows I am serious. Money is not the issue for me right now, it's space and a need to do the 3 Buicks I already have, that I have saved from the same fate. So, anyone need purchase assistance, let me know."

Here are two engine photos I took yesterday. Everything is there, including the spark plug wire cover. And the engine turns over by hand so I know it is not locked up.

post-31046-143141908646_thumb.jpg

post-31046-143141908649_thumb.jpg

Edited by TxBuicks (see edit history)