Identify Classic Car Part, Anyone know?

Guest davetheblaster

Guest davetheblaster

I have been trying to find out what this part is off of. I was told possibly a Cadillac or Lasalle from late 1920s early 1930's. Can anybody confirm this or is it off a different vehicle. I was told that it was a Delco AM radio dial. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dave

post-91230-143141746328_thumb.jpg

It also reminds me of a '38 Buick in it's general arrangement and proportions -- sans the face plate and knobs, of course. Maybe this head was identical to some one of the GM OEM applications, but offered with these knobs and face plate for use in the aftermarket Delco radio business?

Well, I wouldn't go too much by that pix. That car has a 40 clock in it. GM had two different suppliers of 37 & 38 radio heads. And yes, 37 & 38 are different.

Well, the radio head matches the '37 dash a lot better than the one in question. Here is another '37 Chevy Master Deluxe with the unit in question....does not mean it's correct, though.

post-37352-143141748878_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Here is a 37 Chevy Master radio. Note the bowtie which Chevy would have put on all their OEM radios. The Delco unit might fit in the holes but If I was judging the car I would take the Max 5 point deduction. As I said before, Delco made radios for other makes, like the one I previously posted as from a 35 Dodge.

Chevrolet%201937%20Master%20control%20head%20Chevrolet%20985255.jpg?height=240&width=320

Guest davetheblaster
The way Davetheblaster is holding the head makes me think it's a box. If that's the case it's made to hang under the dash.The OEM units are through a plate

You are right it is like a box. You can see the gears from the top. Here is another pic. post-91230-143141754486_thumb.jpg

The Delco unit might fit in the holes but If I was judging the car I would take the Max 5 point deduction.

Doesn't that seem a bit excessive? 5 points because there's no bowtie and yet it's a DELCO unit (authorized GM)? How does one know that it wasn't dealer-installed, or that it's what they had that day at that particular assembly plant? Or that maybe the face plate has been changed in the radio's long life?

TG

I find part #1563608 you list in a United Motors parts book.

Quoting: Bulletin 6 D-1140 3-5-1937 pg 34.

"Tuning control asm #1563748, Delco 4086."

"Type "V" Instrument Panel - Airplane Dial - 1937 Chevrolet."

"Used with 35, 36, 37 Delco Radios". (this statement poses obvious questions I couldn't answer in the book.)

Edited by drwatson
Chverolet (see edit history)

So it's basically a slightly more generic version of a '37 Chev radio -the knobs (assuming they are original to the unit) say '37. I suppose I could see a scenario whereby this radio head and a corresponding box would be stocked at Chevrolet dealers for dealer installation in '37 Chevs, but also, perhaps with some available bracket, retrofitting into customer's cars, as well as certain of the dealers used car inventory. By bracket, I'm thinking maybe even an under dash piece. I have no doubt that at times the installation of a radio at some discount was a reliable closing tool for used car salesmen.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

In the old days before I started to collect Auburns, I had a business 'Curt's Per War Chevy' Over the years I had at least a dozen 37 Chevys that I bought and sold and parted out. I had a number of 37 radios and heads. I will admit as I grow older and time marches on my memory becomes a bit more dim. That is why I suggested posting on the VCCA web site. Those guys are really knowlageable.

• 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...