1928 spaniard Buick barn find.

Guest J. Rubén

Guest J. Rubén

Yes. Is a Master Six 28-50. I have bought.

I never work with wooden cars like this, and I don´t know if I´ll can do it.

The car need a lot of work, but I think it´s worth doing it.

The car is very original. It´s no ussually in Spain, because this cars suffered the Spanish Civil War and the postwar. In the postwar there no was money or rechanges to repair the cars, and the mechanics must be repair adapted parts of other cars, doing transformations in the body and a lot of things more like in this Ford model A.

post-90634-14313933519_thumb.jpg

The car has an interesting history. I can tell you if you want (with my bad engllish),

post-90634-143139335185_thumb.jpg

Edited by J. Rubén (see edit history)

Guest J. Rubén

The history.

This car arrived in Spain June 1928, a few days later a man who worked in the navy bought it.

The name of this man was Ulpiano Fernández-Pintado Camacho. He was the principal in the Sociedad Española de Construcción Naval (later Empresa Nacional Bazán de Construcciones Navales Militares S.A., today Navantia). This companies are a shipyards place in O Ferrol (north west Spain).

Casually, a friend of mine works in this company and before know nothing about the car, he shows me a photos of Navantia´s historical archive. I could see in the pics some old military ships, a lot of beautiful old buses which used to carry workers and ¡¡my car!!, I could not believe.

There is a picture of the buick in August 27th, 1928. We suppose that car had an accident and they taked photos for insurance claim.

¡¡ATENTION the photo belongs a Navantia´s historical archive -all rights reserved-".

Years later, the Buick was sold to a man of Albacete (center Spain), the city where Ulpiano Fernández-Pintado was born. I think this second owner was a second hand car dealer because the car belongs him only a cuple months.

In 1935 José Fernández Fernández was a tax collector in a Chamberí distric, Madrid. He traveled from Madrid to Andalucía and when he was in Albacete, his car broken down. He saw the Buick and bought it to continue the travel.

José Fernández never drove, he had a choffeur. I think in this days he installed a separated bulkhead (attached pic). Obviously it´s no original, but I´m going preserved it in the restauration, because it is nice and good quality and I think is an important part of the car history. What do you think about it?

Then the damn Civil War comes. In this times, the army confiscated the vehicles, but as José Fernández belongs to military quartermaster he got they awared him his car. So the car could be more care.

Say in this bad days a bomb damaged the front of the car. It must be repaired but lossen the radiator cap. (I must looking for one). Perhaps is only a fable.

But the true is that the son of José Fernández inherited the car and used it a little. Then his six sons inherited too, but they parked it in a wet place where it spoiled.

We now will try give it another chance.

(Sorry my bad english, I hope you understand me)

post-90634-143139336971_thumb.jpg

post-90634-143139336974_thumb.jpg

Edited by J. Rubén (see edit history)

There was a model within 28 model year, 28-50L factory limousine with divider on 128" wheelbase. Top of the line. Check the type plate that is in engine compartment, right hand side (in drive direction) just next to oil filter canister. Nice find, by the way!

Guest J. Rubén
If you can restore the wood, we can help find any parts you need.

I usually receive parts from Canada and USA for my 55 Chevrolet. I´ll need some parts for this Buick, and I appreciate your help me to locate.

Guest J. Rubén
There was a model within 28 model year, 28-50L factory limousine with divider on 128" wheelbase. Top of the line. Check the type plate that is in engine compartment, right hand side (in drive direction) just next to oil filter canister. Nice find, by the way!

I think it´s a simple 28-50, never had heard 28-50L exist.

post-90634-143139337338_thumb.jpg

Rubèn,if you have the book Seventy years of Buick by George H Damman you can see there is a model 50L(limosine),a very good book for Buick owners.I have a 1928 original plate as in your picture 101mm x 101mm I can sell it for $30 including shipping to Spain if you want it.(paypal)

Leif in Sweden. leife.holmberg@telia.com

post-31268-143139337721_thumb.jpg

Guest J. Rubén

Thanks Leif, first we begin with frame, engine and body, and later the we´ll start with other minor details.

I show some pics more, after a little cleaning to traslate the car in the tow.

post-90634-143139338992_thumb.jpg

post-90634-143139338994_thumb.jpg

post-90634-143139338997_thumb.jpg

Guest BigDogDaddy

Hi and Welcome to the Buick Club Forum. I love the story, and the car cleaned up nicely. You have come to the right place for information, and advice. Good Luck with your car.

Phil

Rubèn,if you have the book Seventy years of Buick by George H Damman you can see there is a model 50L(limosine),a very good book for Buick owners.

According to "The Buick - A Complete History" by Terry Dunham and Lawrence Gustin, the 50L was only built in the US during 1922, 1924, 1925, and 1929. This agrees with the production figures given in the BCA member roster (which are probably from Terry's work). Things appear to be different for GM of Canada, where McLaughlin Buick built a few different models than in the US. The attached GM of Canada data plates list the 50L for 1925, 1927, 1928, and 1929 (I don't have any for 1926 or 1924 or earlier). US Buick production is shown in the attached PDF file.

post-44481-14313934135_thumb.jpg

post-44481-143139341353_thumb.jpg

post-44481-143139341362_thumb.jpg

post-44481-143139341365_thumb.jpg

US Buick Production 1903-1980.pdf

Edited by sean1997 (see edit history)

The disc wheels would have to be a rare find. Disc were available as an option on many GM cars of the period. I have a 1926 Pontiac with them and there is a 1929 Cadillac that has appeared here on aaca forums that has them as well. I know from the Oakland Pontiac Master Parts List that there were at least two different suppliers of disc wheels.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest J. Rubén

Thanks everybody for your kind words and interesting information.

In fact, the disc wheels and the pair spare tires in fenders there was an usually option in Spain during 20´s. I don´t know the correct color and stripe in this wheels, if you have some information about, I beg of you indicate

In a few days I´ll show you some new pics, and the first steps in restoration.

Do you know if visor brackets are the same in all GM cars? The Buick lost theirs in the transport.

• 1 month later...

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/1927buicks/files/

The above sight is where you will find the most information about your car. You must join the group to access some of the information but it is free. After you join, go to FILES in the list at the left of the home page. The 5th item down is Dave Chambers Article. There is a wealth of information in that article.

Fred

I forgot to mention that I have a 1928 model 51. At present time, the sun visor is not on the car. The last time I had a copy made at the sheet metal shop the price was around $45.00.

If you are unable to find a visor, contact me and I will get a current price quote. Send me an e-mail at fred.rawling@live.com and I will reply with the shipping costs after I weigh my visor so you will have a better idea of what the total cost would be.

I also believe that the Disk Wheels should be the same color as the body of the car --- at least that was the case with my 1927 Chevrolet Roadster which was a yellow car with black fenders, and yellow Disk Wheels.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest J. Rubén

Hello friends!!

After studying a few documentation about my Buick and get some books and manuals I have begun the restoration.

I have seen the inner hood and firewall are black. Do you know the original colour in inner hood and firewall is really black? Semi-gloss or brightly black?

post-90634-143141826578_thumb.jpg

Guest J. Rubén
Try and leave it original if you can. If the wood feels OK. Don't pull it apart.

The wood is not good. We´ll need restore it too.

Please, someone could tell me what is the correct colour in inner hood and firewall?

• 9 months later...
Guest J. Rubén

As we said yesterday... we have a lot of doubs about the original (correct) details.

1.- Colour in firewall and inner hood.

2.- Kind of black in frame and other mechanical parts. Gloss black, semi-gloss black, flat black.

3.- Kinds of wood we must used. Perhaps oak? Ash?... which kind in where??

I have finished other car, and this year I´m going work seriously in this Buick. I´ll try to show yo the progress.

post-90634-143142342382_thumb.jpg

post-90634-143142342371_thumb.jpg

post-90634-143142342378_thumb.jpg