1956 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe..What's it worth??

Guest cpmman

Hi All,

I have an option to purchase a 1956 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe in original condition but needs a restoration. Car was running a year ago so should run again. The body seems decent as no major holes showing threw but floors may have an issue. Doors, trunk & hood open and close fine. Paint is badly faded, head liner gone, smells like it has been in a barn for many years but car is complete....

It looks to be a great candidate for a full restoration but no idea what something like that is worth.

Can anyone give me an idea what is is worth in the current condition as well as what it is worth done?

Is it a sought after model?

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks..

post-90243-143139304472_thumb.jpg

post-90243-143139304486_thumb.jpg

post-90243-143139304496_thumb.jpg

post-90243-143139304507_thumb.jpg

post-90243-143139304518_thumb.jpg

post-90243-143139304528_thumb.jpg

Edited by cpmman (see edit history)

Another key difference - the 1955 Chrysler had the transmission selector protruding out of the dashboard. In 1956, the selector was changed to a push button quadrant on the driver's side of the steering wheel for safety purposes.post-44221-143139304595_thumb.jpg

I have a friend with a near twin to this that has an older partial restoration with very nice paint, good chrome, a super nice original interior that you would think has been redone because it's that nice, As well as a serious mechanical rebuild of anything that moves on the car including transmission, rear end, engine and everything attached to each. He has been casually trying to sell it for a year and no one even makes him an offer when he tells them he is asking 20,000.

I would think this car is honestly only worth 2500-3500. Anything you restore on it is going to be expensive. There is almost no reproduction parts available except for a little mechanical stuff. A chrome shop would probably charge 5000 just to do the chrome if not a far bit more.

Of course it is a 1955

I have always loved the 1956, less so the '55, and my typing skills are not up to my recognition of the cars of my youth

I have a friend with a near twin to this that has an older partial restoration with very nice paint, good chrome, a super nice original interior that you would think has been redone because it's that nice, As well as a serious mechanical rebuild of anything that moves on the car including transmission, rear end, engine and everything attached to each. He has been casually trying to sell it for a year and no one even makes him an offer when he tells them he is asking 20,000.

I would think this car is honestly only worth 2500-3500. Anything you restore on it is going to be expensive. There is almost no reproduction parts available except for a little mechanical stuff.

A chrome shop would probably charge 5000 just to do the chrome if not a far bit more.

The rechrome bill for my 56 (pictured above) was $13,000................Bob

• 1 month later...
Another key difference - the 1955 Chrysler had the transmission selector protruding out of the dashboard. In 1956, the selector was changed to a push button quadrant on the driver's side of the steering wheel for safety purposes.[ATTACH=CONFIG]168979[/ATTACH]

Beyond what is stated regarding the shifter, '56 was the beginnings of the "Push Button" set up. 1956 NYer's were 12 volt negative ground, 354ci vs 331ci with 6 volt positive. Center Plane brakes were now offered and there were numerous other changes. I own three 1955 Chryslers, a C300, NY deluxe T&C and an Imperial Newport. Also a '56 300B.

If it were running and driving with new fluids, brakes, tires, and belts...$5k. As is, probably closer to $1k. Interior looks decent and patina is alright as well. To many it's a car just for the motor and even to Chrysler fans it's a parts car for a hardtop or convertible. I think it is cool looking and would make an excellent cruiser as is maybe with some clear coating.

Thanks guys.I really appreciate the information..I am going to pass since the restoration would far out weigh the final value..

This is true of just about any car you decide to restore. It is usually cheaper to buy a car already restored than to buy one that needs restored and then do the restoration - especially if you are doing it to AACA Judging standards. Certainly there are exceptions to this, but generally you will sink more in restorations costs than you will ever recover.

Bob

• 9 months later...
Guest NashMan63
This is true of just about any car you decide to restore. It is usually cheaper to buy a car already restored than to buy one that needs restored and then do the restoration - especially if you are doing it to AACA Judging standards. Certainly there are exceptions to this, but generally you will sink more in restorations costs than you will ever recover.

Bob

Bob - and all - I certainly agree with the comments about value vs. cost in real terms, but isn't this supposed to be a hobby? Does anyone else out there remember when you just saw a nice old car that had managed to survive for 4 or 5 decades without being crushed, was for sale cheap, and decided you wanted to save/restore it? Maybe just to provide an escape from your office job full of intangible, mind-numbing paperwork? Or to hide from your screaming kids for an hour or two, out in the garage?

90% of America drove four-door sedans, no matter what decade you're talking about. While I can certainly understand the well-healed only wanting to do checkbook restorations on cars that will give them a reasonable assurance of returning their investment, if we as a group are going to discourage people from buying inexpensive cars that are just interesting or cute, or bring back memories for themselves, or that nice old couple that lives down the street, or the neighborhood kids who think your car is "cool" - then this hobby is dead. If you want a guaranteed return with no risk in life, put your money in the mattress.

There are many multiple ways of reducing costs to make "common" cars worth restoring, and these days with the internet it's easier than ever. Get creative. Make some of your own small rubber parts, recast some small bits no one else is making. Learn a new skill panel beating, painting or welding. That's the way the founders of this hobby did it back in the early 50s and 60s, when people were getting Model T's for $50 - or less - and they weren't "worth" restoring at all.

Yes, chrome is expensive. So is professional upholstery. But you can find reasonable, nice looking chrome for cars like this old Chrysler at swap meets or on Ebay, or at bone-yards all day long. Is it flawless "show" quality? No. But the factory chrome wasn't "show" quality either. Do you have to send out all the re-plating in one week so your bill is $5000? Of course not. If you love the car and are going to keep it, send out the front bumper one month, and the rear bumper you tell your wife you want re-plated for Christmas next year. She'll be relieved to be getting you something she knows you actually want, and your car will gradually come together and not be a strain on your budget or your marital bliss.

I just hate seeing people turn up their noses at nice old cars because they "won't get their money back". My son keeps changing his college major. When am I going to get my money back on that? Probably never. But I love him. If we let cars like this go, and not get people interested in restoring them, or offer our help or our creative solutions, then all we will be left with are snotty people with Packard Twelves, Bugattis and Duesenbergs - oh, and some 50 million dollar Ferraris and one or two Aston Martins. All wonderful machines, but not exactly a healthy cross-section of the history of motoring. And not much of a cross section of our hobby, either.

Cheers all,

Tom

If you have a well equipped garage and personal skills that allow you to do your own restoring, and if you do not value your time or depreciation on your equipment, etc. you can find old cars like this one and have fun restoring it and in some cases make a profit reselling it. But most people need to contract out many steps in restorations like re-chroming, upholstering, engine work, professional quality painting, making missing parts, etc. In these cases it is what Tom has so clearly described - it is a hobby and resale value is not going to be a factor if you want to get more out of financially that what you put into it. What you will get out of it is the fun and satisfaction of restoration and owning and driving the result of your work - at whatever the level of restoration. For example, it is very common when you buy a fully restored vintage car that the owner will have receipts showing they spent far more on restoration than what they are selling the car for. Their value for their money spent was on the fun and satisfaction of restoring and owning and driving the car.