My grandfather's work truck

Guest Snickels

Guest Snickels

This was my grandfather's work truck back in the day. I need help with year/make/model? I'm looking to replicate this vehicle. All the way down to the lettering and maybe the dent on the front fender. Any help would be appreciated , thanks.

post-90123-143139298182_thumb.jpg

There's no more guessing on the make. It's a Chevrolet. The question is "what year?" In 1936, Chev introduced the scalloped artillery wheels and horizontal hood louvers. The side of the hood in this picture is too blown out to see if there are any louvers or bow-tie emblem (the bow tie can be seen on the hub caps, but even still, the grille is obviously Chev). I believe that both a high-top and a low-top cab was available in 1936, so I'm not sure that is a sure way to tell, either.

1934 Chevrolet Delivery Van? Is that what this body is called / referred as? Were they 1/2 ton only or could they be 3/4 ton or did they even offer the different choices back then? Obviously there was the bigger 1 ton(?) trucks, some with duals, but the artillery wheels with huge tires, why would they have been chosen? Just to increase the 1/2 ton capability and eliminate the wire wheels? Ideas anybody? Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks everyone for your input.

Chuck

Neat project. Visually, there are few differences between the trucks produced between 1934 and 1936, the '36 hood being one of the most significant. As noted above, the larger trucks did have different wheels. In those years, two models were produced, the 1/2 ton and the 1 1/2 ton. The larger truck came in both a single (RA) and dual (RB) rear wheel option. The 'Buchans' image is what I am trying to create. The attached 'green' truck is a '34 1/2 ton (not mine) and the others are my '36 1 1/2 tons. My project is going slow, continuing to try to collect the hard-to-find odds and ends.

post-61722-143139302259_thumb.jpg

post-61722-143139301379_thumb.jpg

post-61722-143139301382_thumb.jpg

post-61722-143139301384_thumb.jpg

Edited by Buchans Bread (see edit history)

I have no idea. I pulled the photos off the web when it was for sale for more examples when I get to that stage in rebuilding mine. It has quite a few good photos of the interior wood. I think his price was quite high and if he held strong, it would not surprise me if he still had it. His number is on the image above. Good luck.

Edited by Buchans Bread
spelling (see edit history)

Likewise Dave. I go through old emails and chuckle quite often about your 'buddy':rolleyes: I see your old door has sold at least once on ebay. We are moving along, but at a snail's pace. My son-in-law will start playing with the sheet metal after the new year and at that time I will start seeing what can be made of the old 207, while keeping my eyes open for one that's running. Bought some hard to find pieces here and there, but still looking for the correct hood ornament. This project will go slow, but that's ok. Found a '57 that will probably be done first as it runs... Slainte' Mhath (Cheers in Scottish)

post-61722-143139302255_thumb.jpg

Now back to the original post. From the above, it is a '34 (DB) or '35 (EB) 1/2 ton. The '34 had a 112" wheelbase with 5,786 vehicles produced. The '35 had the same wheelbase with 5,694 produced. While there are quite a few of these around, it is a project to rebuild them. All the panel trucks, suburbans, and open express' are the same as the 'high cab', with respect to the front doors forward. The image above of the 'street rod' is a '36 low cab. Also, if you are unaware, much of the construction is wood. Here is a '34 I know of being worked on. If you are looking for one, I know of some and can provide some leads (send me a PM).

post-61722-143139302253_thumb.jpg

post-61722-143139302251_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
post-48034-143142329351_thumb.jpgTo bring this thread up to date, today my Dad and I retrieved his long lost panel truck thanks to Mr. Buchan. For the back story, my father bought this truck from a used car lot in 1962 when he was 20 years old. He sold it a few years later when he went into the Navy. When he returned from Vietnam, he bought it back. In 1989, he sold it at Hershey. Now once again in December 2013, he has purchased it once again. Not many people can say they've bought a vehicle three times over a fifty year period.

post-48034-143142329337_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Steve, did the truck still have its original drivetrain intact or had the fellow installed the 230 and PG already?

I wish I had the time and resources for a prewar car.

When my dad sold the truck in 1989, it had a cracked head and block and wasn't running. Since then the only thing the guy did, and I mean only (truck still has NY registration stickers and plates from the 70s, and tires from the 60s) was to replace the engine. Thankfully, he found an engine from a '35 Chevy car, which is pretty much correct for this truck. It seems to run well. The pistons are a little noisy, but I have yet to get the engine up to operating temp, so it may be quieter when warm.

We have a little bit of work to do on the truck to make it a nice driver. It needs a windshield and tires before it can be driven, and the lacquer paint job that my grandfather applied around 1970 is peeling badly, so we'd like to get it painted. Also the clutch is funky, it makes weird noises and sometimes refuses to release.

I have yet to find another 1934 Chevrolet Panel Truck in original running condition anywhere. I wonder if any others exist.

Great conclusion to a thread, Steve! What are your Dad's plans for his Panel? Post a video of him driving it, perhaps! My Granfather's Chevy Pickup - year unknown by me, but likely '34-'36 - got made into a utility trailer by Pete our local welder & car/truck undoer! Oh well.