Two Door Phaeton Chellenge

Steve_Mack_CT

Here is one for discussion (without hi-jacking Graham Man's thread)

I can think of two 2-door Phaetons: The 30-31 Model A Ford (on my want list if I ever buy another "A) and the Jeepster. I believe these are "true Phaetons" based on my understanding of commonly accepted definitions.

Can this knowledgeable group come up with any others??? :confused:

Steve,

I am sorry I did not see this sooner and I am embarresed it tokk someone in NZ to let you know.

I have seen a 50 series car here in CT, but the asking price some time ago was more then I would spend. Thgis was aModel 58C. They also built a 68C and a 98 (the biggest series) and I have also seen that car.

I guess it all depends on defination, but that is what Buick called them 2doors and seating for 5 in two rows. And a detachable plated piece at the back of the front window.

John

Guest bkazmer

Marketing depts aside (the GM convertible sedans called "all weather phaetons" and the Cord), a "true phaeton", like a "true roadster" does not have side windows

Yes, agreed, the Cord to me should have been called a convertible Victoria , but that's a moniker for an earlier style car, so the company called it a phaeton. If it's a two door phaeton, then so is the 1931-32 Chevrolet landau phaeton, two doors, with roll up windows. I've always wanted one....

That said, the Packard Darrin was a convertible Victoria, and if we're ignoring windows, it should be in the list of two door open cars....

The discussion of body styles and names has been going on for years. It started with the names of the different carriages.

phaeton, spider phaeton, coupe, rally cart, brougham, town coach, racing cart, roadster and so forth. When the horseless carriage arrived they used many of the terms from the carriages and some new names were added, "touring car, sedan & town car".

The runabout, roadster, limousine, coupe and delivery wagon are all names from the carriage days. If you look in the early Dykes manuals they will describe the different models. Originally they were pretty basic, But over the years marketing started to use names to enhance their sales and they didn't follow the original meanings of the words. This is why there is so many different arguments as to model names. Depends on the year the names were used. RHL

There's been quite a lengthy thread on this forum about a 1915 Standard "Chummy Roadster". It's an open car, rag top, no windows, two doors and a back seat. It's clearly of the same styling genre as a Model A deluxe phaeton, but 15 years older, and with a V-8 engine. It's all in what they called it, not in what it was.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

If you just stick to Model A Fords, in 1930-31 they offered the Deluxe Phaeton (2-door) and Standard Phaeton (4-door, with plainer trim). No jump seats on either. Most people would have said that the four door was a touring car, which is what Ford called the similar 1927 Model T.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Yep, I think the 2-door 30-31 "A" is one of Ford's best Model A bodystyles - the 4 door is nice also, but not quite as unique.

Interesting group of cars, can't believe I missed another obvious one, the Cord. West of course, would find the obscure Classics...

Any others??

Graham-Paige built a number of 2-door phaetons in the late-20s that would fit the definition perfectly. Open car, no windows, one windshield, two doors, with a back seat. We actually have one coming up soon that's a very strange bird, especially with right-hand drive, but there's no question it's a 2-door phaeton. This isn't the exact car we're listing, but pretty much identical to it.

1929_GRAHAM_PAIGE-23_copy.jpg