Random Pictures of Really Cool Cars

alsancle

One of 7, I think, A.J. Would look good in your garage.

I have a Tourster print in my office and it is a great conversation starter. I believe this is a CT car, and the gent has 2, as nice as it is, I would keep the Lebaron as well, assuming he is - it is a bit sportier and currently on the road. Last time I saw this one it was at a local show (Klingberg) featuring "Big Classics" but was pushed on and off it's trailer. I think he may have since gotten it running again.

Great thread, BTW - will see what I have at home that is out of the ordinary..

Steve, he has two including the Barrel Side you are referring to. I think it was this one that was featured on Chasing Classic Cars.

7 originals. Ted Billings took detailed measurements of this car when he was restoring it. He built a dozen or so bodies that were pretty close copies. The last few chassis he used were also reproduced. All had original engines. There is one of the copies on eBay right now.

Yep, the barrelside has been out and about at the local shows these past couple of seasons. Hope he holds onto that one, it is a great color too in the more familiar dark green. Very nice guy, who was (or at least seemed!) as interested in my little 120 as I was in the Duesy. Here is a period picture from the RM site that shows the Tourster before the restoration, and honestly I think I like this color better (going with link as this is a current pic so I am not sure how that works from a copyright perspective):

RM Auctions

Well it appears the link takes you to a series of pics - you want #22 to see the car "in the rough"...

Also seems from the pictures that the car is up and running. I have not seen that episode of CCC, A.J., but am suspicous that the DVDs may show up under the tree this year... :D

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

I sort of enjoy the contrast between the elegant, though by then, quite bedraggled Round Door Rolls with the homely, humble, bug-eyed '38 Plymouth behind it in this photo. This was an early '38 Plymouth. The initial reaction to the cars front end was laughter and derision from the public and horror from the dealers. The factory scrambled to make some sort of change in a hurry and within a few weeks solved the issue as best as they could by lowering the headlights two inches and moving them back four. I guess it helped a little. I don't know about you, but it makes me sad that I know so much about the crummy Plymouth and so little about the Rolls.

166575d1354972165t-random-pictures-really-cool-cars-jonckheere_rolls-royce_phantom_l_aerodynamic_coupe_1925_03.jpg

Early '38 Plymouth:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbNIe2Sp_MCXH4g9CUHBDz1AFF5SBoTvctMUTzty46TouLe0RX

The majority of '38 Plymouths have the headlights positioned like this one:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfTeF9_0ymoYHXxT-TNARPYaWMY_escAwSHtikS5eo8Q4R35_S

West, doesn't just about anything look way cooler with a pair of Woodlites on it? If I knew how to photoshop I'd put them on all sorts of cars - Henry Js, Fiat Toppolinos, 2CVs, Model Ts, etc.

Keiser, your V16 roadster is one of the most elegant and decadent cars ever made. Even with a passenger in front and two in the rumble seat, there's still four cylinders per person!

Yes. Way cool. Here's the end of the story. That car exists, but has been restored back to its original configuration. A 1932 Chrysler Imperial roadster. Too bad, in my opinion. Gone is that steeply raked windshield, now hanging up in someone's barn. Oh well. We can still ogle over the very similar example that A.J. posted several posts ago (different photo below), but without the Woodlites and severely altered grille. That is, when its owner brings it to a show.

post-33613-143139293656_thumb.jpg

Guest Rob McDonald

That lithesome Imp reminded me of a local car that every red-blooded Edmonton male of my father's generation (born 1915) remembered fondly. Joseph and T.J. LaFleche were born in Quebec, raised in Vermont, and trained as tailors in New York. As young men, they arrived in South Edmonton in 1906. LaFleche Brothers Tailoring was soon among the clothiers of choice for this city's elite gentlemen and their ladies.

Joseph was the more entrepreneurial and inventive of the two and he indulged his fondness for expensive cars. His rides included an a Mitchell, an Auburn, and this lovely Cord L29 convertible coupe, which he still owned when he died in 1932. Some years later, the car was hit by a train and destroyed.

Sorry for the poor quality of this image. I may try to upgrade it with a better one from the City Archives.

post-59990-143139293686_thumb.jpg

Where may one learn more about this car? Is it of Canadian origin, as they did have a Parisienne model in their Pontiac line.

Only one was built. It was a GM Motorama Show Car.

The car is still in existince today as part of The Bortz Collection.

Plug in 1953 Pontiac Parisienne on the web and quite a bit of info on the car will show up.

Pontiac used the name in later years after it was tested at the Motorama.

Yes. Way cool. Here's the end of the story. That car exists, but has been restored back to its original configuration. A 1932 Chrysler Imperial roadster. Too bad, in my opinion. Gone is that steeply raked windshield, now hanging up in someone's barn. Oh well. We can still ogle over the very similar example that A.J. posted several posts ago (different photo below), but without the Woodlites and severely altered grille. That is, when its owner brings it to a show.

I've heard that story. When the car was being restored it wasn't realized that the changes were made in period. A shame. It still looks great. Especially sans whitewalls.

The coolest one I ever came across outside of a show or museum has to be this V16 Cadillac roadster I spotted resting in a LaJolla, California garage......I am sooooo in love with this car.

That is cool and all I would do with it is wash it. Unfortunately it is probably already painted red and sliver with white wall tires.

Here is one near and dear to my heart. Circa 1932 and in the barn circa 2005. #11 of 14 Specials & Racecars built prior to WWII by Gustav Schumacher. Ordered by a customer in 1928 on a Stutz chassis the car car took 4 years to complete. That is Gustav himself standing behind the car.

post-31305-143139296578_thumb.jpeg

post-31305-14313929652_thumb.jpg

post-31305-143139296527_thumb.jpg

post-31305-143139296556_thumb.jpg

post-31305-143139296573_thumb.jpeg

post-31305-143139296574_thumb.jpeg

Where may one learn more about this car? Is it of Canadian origin, as they did have a Parisienne model in their Pontiac line.
Shall reply to my own message. Found info on the car.

Supposedly it still exists, and is in the Chicago area. Has a straight-8 engine. The bubble top to cover the front seat was never made. The interior is pink!!!! The chrome hood trim did make its way into production with the '55 Pontiac. The hubcaps sure look like Cadillac sombrero wheel covers?

This one sings to me, a favorite from "The Making of Modern Michigan" Digital Database.

1933 Packard 12 Coupe-Roadster on the roof of the Packard factory...

EB01d692.jpg

So many nice ones on this thread.

TG

I just noticed, after a few years of looking at this photo that it's reversed, in that it appears to be RHD. (The giveaway was noticing the golf door on the US driver's side). Wow!

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

TOM, I hate to break your fascination with this photo but I think there's an unfortunate story here. That young man has been fighting some mechanical fault, has thrown down his tools, and is about to pee on your dream car.