a little rant

GARY F

i look all the time at all different cars for sale on ebay & etc. and find very nicely restored ones but they put on those ugly universal radiator ribbed hoses on. another is these guys that take a good restorable car apart & then try to sell it with some of the parts missing.

another is these guys that take a good restorable car apart & then try to sell it with some of the parts missing.

I am 100% with you here!

I have a scooter that I'm working on right now that was originally sold on Ebay as a complete machine. It had a very reasonable buy-it-now price and sold to another person before I saw it (I got an email about it, but it was too late). About one month later the same scooter appeared on Ebay being sold by the person that purchased it when it was on Ebay the first time. The only difference is that it had been disassembled and was being offered as a rolling chassis only. I was still interested, so I bought it. However, I knew that this had been a complete scooter until then, so I asked the seller what happened to the rest of it. I received no response. After about two weeks, I got an email from the seller saying nothing more than "check out my listings on Ebay." There was the rest of the scooter. So, a nice complete machine was parted out and I had to win multiple auctions to get it all back in one piece. Sadly, one of the auctions I did not win and that part is essentially gone forever.

I understand the guy had every right to do with it what he wanted and to make a buck, but it really irritated me to see a nice complete machine get parted out as if "all original" was insignificant.

Also, be careful. . . be VERY careful. . . . when renting a car to the studios--it may come back with parts missing or "traded out."

Also, be careful. . . be VERY careful. . . . when renting a car to the studios--it may come back with parts missing or "traded out."

I would personally never rent my car to a studio. I've had a couple family cars used in background action in films but they were driven by my family not crew members. The studios should, and usually do, rent from a couple of businesses in the valley who deal exclusively with this sort of stuff so generally don't need to rely on the public, tho they do this more for "extra" or background scenes where many cars are needed. We stored a tour bus at one of these cinema vehicle lots one summer and I was amazed to see literally rows upon rows of police cars and taxi cabs for fill-in and stunt use.

I got a bit off topic, but Gary, do you mean people who start a restoration but can't finish it then sell the car missing parts or do you mean they take some parts off and resell the car?

Nothing to do with radiator hoses........

But on the renting cars to a studio subject, an old mate of mine let his car be used in a movie many years ago. It was only parked, not driven and the scene was only supposed to be a women getting into the car. When he picked the car up later they thanked him and gave him a little story about how many takes it took to get the shot just right. When we finally saw the movie, the scene was the woman getting into the car alright but they didn't tell him about the boyfriend slamming the bloody hell out of the door after she had got in.

Danny

Guest toybox99615

EBay has generated a lot of near scam artist in more than just old car parts. Among those are the sellers who seem to have something available that sells for some ridiculous high price. Then in a few months the same item reappears on the same sells list with a minimum bid around the price level that it brought before.

While that irks me; it is legal business where supply and demand determines what something sells for. Were I to have a big enough bankroll I might be tempted to do the same thing by just stockpiling a warehouse full of widgets and holding off selling for 20 years. So while it irks me I recognize the potential profits that are out there.

On the other hand without eBay a lot of these parts would never be available to anyone at any price as there was no easy way to sell them in a way that let the world know what you've have. For how many of us were looking for a part that you never found in 20 years until it appeared in living color photos on eBay? I actually saw a part today that I've needed since 1998.

Of course the scooter guy bought the complete unit TO GET THE PARTS HE NEEDED TO COMPLETE HIS SCOOTER. For what ever reason his was the one he wanted to keep, and he had the right to do whatever he wanted with the complete scooter. Now, if he didn't tell the truth in his ad, then that's a different story. IMO

Nothing personal, just my opinion,

Dale in Indy

Of course the scooter guy bought the complete unit TO GET THE PARTS HE NEEDED TO COMPLETE HIS SCOOTER. For what ever reason his was the one he wanted to keep, and he had the right to do whatever he wanted with the complete scooter. Now, if he didn't tell the truth in his ad, then that's a different story. IMO

Dale in Indy

I don't have any issue if this is the situation. If you need a part and can't find it, then the whole vehicle appears and you can afford to buy it, then resell it, why not? That's basically saying "I shouldn't take this rear end out, someone else may need it." Buying something complete or restorable that is purchased with the sole intention of taking it apart to sell I am not cool with on a personal level but I don't hold a grudge against anyone who does this, especially in this economy. When I think about it, I'm happy some people part out some still-decent cars at least, otherwise the world would be full of projects that never get sorted and others will own cars they can never drive without that one last remaining elusive item.

One other movie note, we had a Sub Lime green Dodge Challenger in the background of a film about a decade ago and the thing ended up overheating because of the long wait as shots are set up for another take, etc. so sometimes there's danger to your car even if you stay behind the wheel. We ended up pulling that car out which affected continuity somewhat but was managed in editing. Remember also the girl who had her head slashed open by a snapped tow cable when she was driving her own car as a background extra on the set of Transformers 3 in Indiana a year or so ago. This should maybe be added to the classic rules of Hollywood, Never work with pets or animals, never let a film crew shoot in your home, and never let them use your personal vehicle in a film unless you are on set with it (a reasonable request btw).

I have to agree with Dale and Marrs

Hey that is the average Joe's thinking these days to make a quick buck.

The one that torques me off is someone bringing a car to a show and representing it for something it is not. I am currently restoring a car and have done a lot of research on exactly how each part should be finished. At a recent car show there was a similar car I was looking at when the owner approached me and proceeded to tell me that everything was as original. Wrong color finish on numerous parts and a lot of stuff just wasn't quite right. I believe he got a second in class.

Visit my website at: Bob's Vintage Cars

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

On movie use of "rented" vehicles . . . I suspect that if the shooting is done in locales near to SoCal, then the Movie Car vendors can be used. If the shooting is to be done away from there, with particular brands and/or types of vehicles needed, then vehicles more local to the region used for the shooting might be sought.

Usually, from what others have said, the movie companies are very specific with the owners how their vehicles will be used in the scene AND when the vehicle should show up on the day of the shoot. One former member of our BCA chapter had a customized, black, '64-era Riviera. Lowered, black, 2x4bbl carb, and "black". He brought the car to the appointed location, at the appointed time, and found the particular individual in charge. He was briefed as to how the car would be used. He was then advised where he could wait until they would be finished shooting. This was for a scene in a "cop show" which was based in a North TX city. So he found a place to eat and have a drink, as it was nearly noon. When finished, he happened to go back just in time to see his hot rod Riv slide around a corner, bank robber character (stunt driver) roar past. The right car for the scene! He reappeared to collect his money and his car, then head home.

In another movie, one of our BCA chapter members talked about a movie company borrowing a friend's Ford F-1 pickup for a shoot. The truck was fully restored, so to mimic "age", they lightly sprayed it with chocolate. When finished, it was washed and cleaned up for him.

Later on, a "cop show in DFW" staff was looking for a particular car for a dream sequence in the show. One of our Mopar club members (at the time) had such a car, so he bit for the deal. He told them the condition of the car, but they said they'd take care of that part. He would check in at the vehicle shop every so often and he came to know many of the people who worked there. By the time they were through, they'd pretty much re-built his car for him. Freshened paint. Tuned engine, and other mechanical things were upgraded as necessary, with the owner's permission, to get the car to do what they wanted it to do. In talking to the guys there, he asked them how their main character's Dodge Ram pickup was doing. He said they laughed, then added that they were able to downsize their fleet of those trucks (all alike visually) as they were so reliable . . . moreso than the "Brand X" trucks they'd been using, from 5 to 3.

Other car club members have rented their cars for fill-in vehicles parked at the curb during a particular scene. Some got rained on for the first time in a good while, too.

There was also one time I heard about a very rare (5 known to exist) and expensive vintage car a production company needed for a WWII film they were doing. At the end, the script called for the main character and the car to be blown up. They found an owner willing to sell his car, for a very reasonable "going" price, and fully made sure he knew the car would be destroyed. He was on-board with all of that and accepted their offer. Several ways that situation could be discussed!

Key thing is that if anybody might be approached about renting their vehicle(s) to a movie studio production company, go into the deal with your eyes wide open, unblinded by the "bright lights of Hollywood". IF you might have any reservations, the "5 seconds of glory" (which can live forever in the Internet Car Movie Data Base!), might need to be reconsidered. In any event, be sure the contract has provisions which state the vehicle must be returned to you in at least as good of a condition (mechanically, cosmetically, etc.) as when you provided it to them for their rental period. Taking detailed pictures is a good thing to do -- before and after. If the use might include driving scenes, although your vehicle might be fine if YOU drive it, it might not do very well if somebody else drives it (who might not know the little quirks and such of your vehicle and how to get around them . . . last thing THEY need is a finicky vehicle . . . much less a finicky actor!

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Dale in Indy

No, that's not what I meant...

The scooter I am restoring is the machine in question that was on Ebay. I was not buying it for parts to finish another, I was buying it to restore THAT one.

I am not saying that it was misrepresented or that the person I bought it from was dishonest or anything of the sort. He had absolutely every right to do whatever he wanted: sell it complete, part it out, withhold specific parts...so on and so on. No argument from me about that. I do not claim that there is nothing unethical, immoral, illegal, or "wrong" with what he did. There was no scam. He had every right to do exactly what he did and he found a buyer willing to play the game and pay his prices (me!), so everyone ended up happy. Scrappers and salvage guys (along with MANY hobby-collectors) do exactly that.

I was just commenting that as a collector it was disappointing to me that I bought it from a guy that had purchased a nice, original with little more than the intent to flip it for more cash by parting it out. Honestly, I would have paid more for it as a complete unit than I ended up paying for it in parts, but I suppose that's neither here nor there.

Scooter Guy, I understand, and wasn't picking on YOU with my comment.

Just wondering, your TITLE suggest you collect or maybe sell scooters, is that correct?

Snowing here, don't expect much though.

Dale in Indy

I collect scooters, old mopeds (back when they actually had pedals, ha!), small motorcycles...things of that sort. I generally pick stuff that I like and want to keep, so I rarely sell anything.

PS- Indy is great...lived there for only a touch over three years, but I loved it. I spent lots of time at the Speedway and at all of the major automotive sites across the state. There was actually a scooter made in Indianapolis called the Cycle Scoot and the model name was "Indianapolis 500." Hmm....I wonder about that! They were built from around 1954-1957 or so. The exact years are hard to pin down. One of the first ones was presented to Wilbur Shaw at the Speedway and had a special plaque on it indicating such. There are photos of him on it at the yard of bricks in front of the pagoda. That machine is still around and is owned by a collector from Michigan. The Cycle Scoot was unique in that there were no hand controls at all. It was entirely foot operated with floorboard style pedals you pushed forward to go and back to stop. They billed it as a safety feature! It's on my wish list of oddities that I'd like to own at some point.

Back to the original topic- flex hoses and non-original radiator caps both grate my nerves, especially on an otherwise nicely done car. Not too crazy about "repaired" battery cable ends either.

I like to see OE type batteries too but I know repops are expensive and often don't last very long in service, so I'll usually give that a pass.