Do Forum users participate in local AACA tours? Ohio members?

tomcarnut

I have been reading this forum for many years but never jumped in till now. I went on my first tour in 1970 as a 12 year old in the back seat of past AACA president Richard Taylor's 1928 Buick on a local Canton, Ohio Chapter tour. I also went to Hershey that year. That started a 40 plus year antique car life style with the two chapters in the Ohio Region going on many tour all over Ohio along with National meets and tours with Snappers in other states. Without strong local participation, Hershey along with other national meets and tours would not happen. I have taken notice that several forum users in Ohio do not take advantage of our local events. I think that might be the case around the country. This weekend I am driving my 1970 Corvette to Cleveland (Matt Harwood's area- nice 41 Caddy at Hershey by the way) for the Ohio Region's Fall Weekend tour hosted by the Northern Chapter. On Saturday, October 27, My Southern Chapter is hosting a day "Spook"tacular tour to Hueston Woods for lunch via a Indian Mound and a new covered bridge. Perhaps, Dave Moon(you can even drive your Prius or MG), Junk yard Jeff, West Peterson(Bring your no rules gang) and others can join us. Here is link to our local site, just go down and click on the Gauge button for more information. Southern

Tom Muth

Cincinnati, Ohio

1912 McLaughlin-Buick

1948 Cadillac Convt

1966 Chevrolet Convt(first car)

1970 Chevrolet Corvette

I wish we had some sort of touring event closer to where we live here near Lima Ohio, but unfortunately we don't. I think it is because we have nothing to tour to. It's a rather depressing area! The wife and I are rather oddballs because our ages are young in the mid thirties with two kids. For some reason we tend to find we have more in common with the older generation. We have a 57 Buick and a 48 Plymouth to participate with. They aren't show cars, but are respectable drivers. The local car shows are nice, but I find them boaring after I have seen all the cars. That's why I think a tour might just be the right way to go about having fun with a classic car. It would be nice to attend such an event however, it seems as if I never here about anything until after it is over.

Darren

I'd be on the Fall Weekend Tour except I'm getting married this Saturday, the 20th. I love to tour but some things take precedent, I suppose...

Matt, Congratulations on the big day. I assume she was the nice young lady sitting by your car at Hershey. I walk by a couple times hoping to say hi but you were in deep conversation with Tom L.

Tom

I might be interested,right now I have my long distance car apart getting it ready for the trip to Daytona next month but do have my 37 Chevy p/u I could drive. I hope no one would mind a slightly modified vehicle as I dont own any that are 100 percent stock.

Jeff, Bring was ever you have even modern. We just want interest in old cars and driving nice back roads. Tom

I wish we had some sort of touring event closer to where we live here near Lima Ohio, but unfortunately we don't. I think it is because we have nothing to tour to. It's a rather depressing area! The wife and I are rather oddballs because our ages are young in the mid thirties with two kids. For some reason we tend to find we have more in common with the older generation. We have a 57 Buick and a 48 Plymouth to participate with. They aren't show cars, but are respectable drivers. The local car shows are nice, but I find them boaring after I have seen all the cars. That's why I think a tour might just be the right way to go about having fun with a classic car. It would be nice to attend such an event however, it seems as if I never here about anything until after it is over.

Darren

Darren,

LIma is great area to tour especially in my 1912 McLaughlin-Buick. We had a Ohio Region weekend tour there last year visiting some neat collections hidden in the area. Our local tour starting in Miamisburg south of Dayton is not that far. In fact, my drive from Anderson Township in Cincinnati is about as far as it would be for you from Lima. We have some 30 something couples in the club with kid including the host son who I will push to come.

Tom

Thanks for all the well-wishes, everyone. The wedding was in Niagara Falls, since my bride is actually Canadian so it was a good halfway point for our two families. Given how reliable the two Cadillacs are, I strongly thought about taking one or the other on the 250 mile drive reach way, but figured that if something went wrong, it would really derail the weekend and even if it didn't, I'd be fretting over the car instead of paying attention to what I should be. So the Allroad was our limousine instead of the Cadillacs. Probably for the best.

Anyway, sorry to thread-jack this topic, but it sounds like the tour was excellent and everyone had a good time. Some very good points of interest to visit around here and the weather was probably as good as it gets for this time of year in Ohio.

See you all next time!

Is it still going on as they are calling for rain saturday.

Yes, we drive rain or shine. I will be in my 70 Vette I just drove 700 miles last week to the Ohio Region Fall Tour in Cleveland last weekend. My wipers worked great. Fantastic tour of the west side of Cleveland including homes and factories of early auto pioneers and collections. Some of our group will wimp out and drive modern(I have done that too before) Look forward to meeting you. Let me know if you can make it.

Tom tomcarnut@yahoo.com

I might have to work saturday to finish a job but if I am able to attend will be in a white 65 galaxie 4 door since it has wipers and heat,I wanted to drive my 37 chevy p/u but no wipers and no heat so its going to stay in the garage if it rains and I am getting my 55 Ford convertible ready for the trip to Florida next month.

I am not sure how many are planning to tour but we will be in an original 1953 Willys Aero - Ace car.

It looks nice as it was repainted the original colors about 14 years ago.

It is a 95 horse, 6 cyl, F head engine with manual shift and overdrive.

The tour will be in gently rolling hills & will be an interesting day.

See you there.

post-41405-143139232179_thumb.jpg

post-41405-143139232175_thumb.jpg

I don't drive on local AACA tours, since they're mostly set up for cars with much more performance than my ancient relics. I just can't keep up with tri-5 Chevies in my Model T Ford or my single-cylinder Cadillac! But I have been on a number of Snapper's tours, most recently on the gorgeous Leelanau Peninsula in Michigan. Snapper's is a non-geographical AACA touring region for brass-era cars. Along with the HCCA, it co-sponsored the Hershey Hangover tour this year, doing a hundred miles each day on the Sunday and Monday right after Hershey. I put a brief write-up of it on the HCCA website discussion forum. I've also driven on three Reliability tours.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

• 2 months later...