Hershey and Smart phones

Guest Model T Nick

Guest Model T Nick

Will setting at my space at Hershey I did a SMALL survey of who was carrying Smart phones, it was about 40%, so I'm guesting it will be over 50% next year. So here's my idea. If Craigs List were to put in a Hershey hearing in the wanted list one would be able to list there hard to find item and save a LOT of walking. Yes/No, Ideas

Hmmm... Liking the sound of that. We did a lot of walking looking for parts, never foudn what we were looking for, but we did make a few new friends. Maybe someone can make a Hershey Flea Market App :) GPS Enabled !! People could post what they have in each location, maybe a list, maybe picts, etc... I would have used it

Brilliant idea, actually. I wish I thought of it. Nick, somehow you should be able to make a dollar or two from that idea. With promotion from AACA or the Hershey region it would really be a value add to the meet - or any big meet, for that matter.

Question,

How much time do you think an infrequent smart phone user, but fairly big (maybe 4-6 spaces) vendor would take to load onto a site (not load the truck to get the stuff to Hershey) all the stuff he has at the spaces? For a project like this to work, you have to prove the expected benefit for the person doing the selling, I think.

I think if you allowed vendors to list on the app for free and make money from subscriptions, maybe $1.99 or so, cheap enough that users will be willing to buy it, then you would have people making an effort to list items. You may not even need a full inventory list of course which would also need to be updated live, which isn't practical just yet, but if they listed their specialty "Dodge, Buick and Ford from 1920-1955" or "wheels and body panels for all Chrysler models" or "die cast toys, gas station memorabilia", you get the idea. The promoters may even want to make it an official part of the package, vendors also get to be listed on the app, which would greatly increase numbers of users. At the end of the day, anyone not willing to use the app would be at a disadvantage towards those who do, so that in itself is your sales pitch.

I have an app writer in my building, more and more people do this sort of work today.

Guest Model T Nick

I was thinking "Wanted" not For Sale I agree "For Sale" would just overload the system. You post a wanted ad for your RARE item and and the sellers could contact you.

On the seller side it could add value for desirable stuff. For example I have some unique items I know people would be interested in, or if you had something for a relatively rare car it could be worthwhile to list. I recently "wholesaled" the last of my nickel and dime Model A stuff as you literally trip over it at a meet like Hershey - not worth listing Model A taillight brackets, for example. Some of my better stuff, though, might be worth listing. I think it has merit for both buyers and sellers.

John, imagine being able to search "32 Buick" and a stone gaurd came up from a vendor who took the time to list it because he knew it was one of his better parts, but with a somewhat limited market. See, that is where I think this would add value. Maybe a nominal listing fee would keep "junkers" from overloading the app but even if not, it is just data and if the app is robust enough what difference does it make. It takes a fraction of a second to search CL for a specific item, actually quicker than eBay which is not really that long when you think about it. Someone needs to do this.. ;)

BTW - Marrs, those hi tech types seem like they are all in Portland, I have a developer on staff I have never met in person who lives there - heck he may be living in your building - hopefully not complaining about leaking oil! :D

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
clarity (see edit history)

Guest Skyking

I must be getting old!.......................

See, in the old days, it was fun to walk and be surprised in what you found. All good things must end.

I was thinking "Wanted" not For Sale I agree "For Sale" would just overload the system. You post a wanted ad for your RARE item and and the sellers could contact you.

Thank you Nick for confirming in writing that out ideas are totally unique and that I am free to develop the seller app as an original concept free and clear from your buyer's app. Now, where to store the millions I'm gonna make... :) Seriously tho it's a good idea either way but costly and time consuming, so if somebody has the funding and technical knowledge it would be a great product.

Steve, if he's Canadian then it's the same guy! lol

I still don't see a downside to this.

1) Anyone who posts here prior to the meet is doing essentially what such an app would do on a small scale.

2) Not everyone has the luxury of spending 3 - 4 workdays at a swap meet. Not to put words in his mouth, but 35Packard comes to mind, first Hershey and his time was very limited, if I was him, I might want to know where my best shot is in obtaining that special part or parts. I would take the time to post a want ad so I would be sure not to miss that vender.

3) This is something younger people might adapt to easilly, which could help with the whole building interest in the next generation thing.

4) Doubtful all vendors would participate or want to. It's just another avenue (like this forum, CL, HMN online, eBay) to leverage technology and possibly put parts in the hands of someone who really needs them to finish their restoration. Just like calling your buddy on a cellphone (or walkie talkies, which I used to see more of) at the next field over to let him know about th one of one widget you just found.

5) Possible it would cut into program sales, all the more reason for the Hershey Region to take a close look a this. The only way to see if it makes sense would be to do a try to do a cost benefit analysis. My guess is they have the funds to seed such a program... ;)

6) this is just a tool, not a replacement for walking the fields, meeting people and seeing items in person.

7) Nick is right, the % of people with smartphones will be increasing. I just tried to dump mine as I have one for work and a personal one, well, you do not have many "non smartphone" options anymore, the industry is driving people to these and the simpler cellphone is getting pushed out like it or not. (I wanted to go back to a regular cellphone but they make it so you don't save hardly anything.)

Lets be honest - how many here would give up Internet or cell phones if nothing else as tools to help with this hobby? Not many, I bet, who are seriously looking for cars or parts. Why not make it better?

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT
added info (see edit history)

I still don't see a downside to this.

1) Anyone who posts here prior to the meet is doing essentially what such an app would do on a small scale. .....

So it would be like the printable list I make up, but would be available on smart phones, and more detailed, right? And if there was one of the scan-able square bar codes then it would load automaticly. Hmmm.... I think you might be on to something here. :)

Personally I'd like to keep it a treasure hunt. Gives me a good chance to get some exercise and visit. I did see a lot of folks keeping their want-list in their phone though. Lots of pictures can be a great help when trying to match up lights and when comparing condition on things. Every year I wander around looking for brass lamps to match with items in my collection and make pairs. Darned if I can remember if I need right, left, etc. Pics are great to cover for a brain often distracted. I'd even try to put pics of my spark plugs in there, but that's one thing I seem to remember pretty well.

Terry

I think that the treasure hunt aspect will always be there in a sense. But for those looking for a certain item, and those selling that certain item, it might be a good thing to be able to link them together through an app like is being discussed. It might be worth a try at least to see if it would work and be a viable option.

What's a smart phone?

An elecronic device that three year-olds can operate with ease and yet those of us with a few years on us want to hurl at a wall trying to learn about without freezing them up. Got one three months ago. It croaked and I had to get a new one under the warranty and start over. **sigh**

Susan, I only asked to be facetious - I have a cell phone that I use to make and receive phone calls and that's about it. I've had it 4 years and just recently figured out how to put it on vibrate. My 4 year old grandson can find his way around an I-Pad and I can't figure out how to cut and paste. Sometimes I fear that the human race will end up like they do in the movie Wal-E - sitting in chairs in a space ship way out there with computers doing everything. I kind of feel like my parents did when VCRs came out - and I still prefer VCRs.

Susan, I only asked to be facetious - I have a cell phone that I use to make and receive phone calls and that's about it. I've had it 4 years and just recently figured out how to put it on vibrate. My 4 year old grandson can find his way around an I-Pad and I can't figure out how to cut and paste. Sometimes I fear that the human race will end up like they do in the movie Wal-E - sitting in chairs in a space ship way out there with computers doing everything. I kind of feel like my parents did when VCRs came out - and I still prefer VCRs.

John, that's why I put the response I did. :rolleyes: And you confirmed my thoughts with your story about your grandson. :) Cut and paste honestly is easy.